PDA

View Full Version : Is there any 'selective' Bentgrass control yet??

KenH
06-16-2003, 08:26 PM
I have many customers, including myself, with small stands of creeping bentgrass throughout the yard(Blegrass and ryes.) Beside glysophate, is there any other option?? One customer we tried scalping, then slitseeding, but the Bent. outgrows anything else. We told himit would , but he wanted to try it anyway.

Clay
06-17-2003, 01:29 AM
Hey Ken how's it goin'???

This is a major problem out here on the coast too... Wanted to jump in here to see if there are any good replies...

I know that Trimcec plus is very hard on bent, but I sprayed a yard with a strong mix of t-plus last year, scalped and overseeded... was good for a while, but it is now full of bent again :-(

Another yard was done with roundup and it is on the second growing season with a few patches of bentgrass coming back... I thought I moved away from bermuda grass just to find the cool season version of Bermuda... :-(

Please let me know if you find anything that works...

Thanks, Clay

KenH
06-17-2003, 07:15 AM
Hey Clay--- Fighting through the rain here.

The bent. doesnt look too bad in the spring, only mid summer when it begins tillering and laying over. I would assume soooner or later they will have a selective control. Thanks.

GroundKprs
06-18-2003, 12:37 AM
If you are in an area with a lot of bentgrass, even a total kill and reseed will not be a long term fix. It will be back, LOL. I have seen an August app of 2,4-D do a real number on bent. Stressed it bad enough that several patches of bent in one lawn were able to be overseeded without a Roundup app. But it was back in same spots 2 years later.

I have significantly slowed the spread of bent by power-raking with a vertical flail reel in the early spring before grass growth starts. The raking pulls up many of the bentgrass stolons, and thins the turf in those areas. Here the KBG begins growth well before the bent, so the KBG has a chance to fill in in these spots. I kept the bent to a minimum in one lawn for the seven years I serviced it that way.

For the times the bent gets leggy, and every time you mow, the bent spots are all brown, the cure is to mow shorter one time in those areas. Drop ½" to 1" and mow just the bent concentrations that way, then go back to normal mowing height in future. Yes, it's going to look bad that one time, but you'll not have the browning again for 4-6 weeks.

KenH
06-18-2003, 07:39 AM
How is bent. introduced???? Birds?? Mower wheels?? Just curious.

GroundKprs
06-19-2003, 12:52 AM
Never saw that question posed before, Ken. Now I'm curious, too. Probably spread by nature - wind and animals. My worst infestations are near golf courses.

turf78
06-20-2003, 02:18 PM
Can come in many ways. Was moved around years ago along with Veronica in Akron Ohio by R B Stout when they mowed with reel mowers which have bed knives that would give the "weeds" a place to sit on till the next pass or lawn.

Wait until they come out with Round-up ready bentgrass. Will be able to spray R-up on bent so Poa anna can be taken out. Which would make getting rid of bent even tougher.

Stay tuned............

Grassmechanic
06-20-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by KenH
How is bent. introduced???? Birds?? Mower wheels?? Just curious.

If you ever seen the size of the seeds, you'll understand:D

Mike