PDA

View Full Version : 21" mower seized up

ToG
06-16-2003, 10:16 PM
it's hard to admit, but yes i do own a craftsman push mower (the only non commercial thing i've got though) i bought it late last year before i really got into the biz. anyway the thing had only about 15 hours of use on it and it wont pull anymore, just froze up. yes, it had enough oil in it, so don't ask, i'm not that green!! what else could be the prob?? we did use it pretty hard on one property we picked up. it was badly over grown and it was my job to tame the grass, however it worked fine afterwards. one day we used it on a lawn, went to another and couldn't start it. the cord wont budge. tore it down and looked at the shaft, it doesn't seem bent. i think i jinxed myself when i got it, i said i can't wait till it breaks down so i can have the engine for a go-cart.(6.75hp) any ideas?? thanks

Turf Medic
06-16-2003, 10:46 PM
Any chance that it is the recoil starter assembly that is causing the problem, instead of the actual engine. REMOVE the spark plug wire or better yet the spark plug and then try and turn the engine by moving the blade, instead of yanking on the rope. Do make sure that you at least remove the spark plug wire, heard about a guy a few years ago that tried removing the blade on his mower and ended up starting the engine by yanking on the blade.

vipermanz
06-17-2003, 12:27 AM
did you hit something with it???

vipermanz
06-17-2003, 12:27 AM
did you hit something with it???

Shady Brook
06-17-2003, 08:09 AM
Did you sharpen blades betweeen times that it worked, and the time that it failed to pull? If you tip her on the side, sometimes oil, or gas oil mixture will move into the cylinder, and will make it imposible to pull the chord. If this might be the case, pull the spark plug, and pull the recoil. If it pulls fairly easy, you have likely found your problem. Pull it 10 or more times, til you see that you are not spewing junk out the plug hole and you may be ready to start.

Jay