PDA

View Full Version : Cut Problem

mklawnman
06-16-2003, 11:12 PM
IN the past few weeks I have been noticing something funny looking on some lawns that we cut. Especially when we use the Scag Fixed Deck WB. When you go back and forth with the mower each time mowing towards the left, it looks like theres a strip of gras that sticks up that looks like it hasnt been cut. NOw I know this the overlap stuff popin up but its getting really bad and it has happened on my Turf Tiger as well in some areas. My question is, is the deck out of balance from left to right or should I over lap more or less or what??? We've tried overlappin more and that hasnt seem to help, and when you go less of overlapping you obviously miss the uncut grass. My thought is the front tire is low and the blade is a bit dull, so I'm thinking of just checking the deck cutting height from left to right on the deck to make sure its level.
HOpe this made some kind of sense, been along day of mowing so IM kinda outta it :eek:
Matt

General Grounds
06-16-2003, 11:17 PM
:blob3: make sure your deck pitch is correct, standing behind the machine the front of your deck should be a 1/4 " lower than the rear, also try a new set of blades. tony

wacamaster
06-16-2003, 11:43 PM
dull blades will do that. Also blades that are two short will do that. Sometimes 60" mowers require 20 1/4" blades.

Mark
06-17-2003, 12:48 AM
;) Make sure your deck is cleaned each nite, and a new set of sharpened blades are put on..If this still happens level your deck, that should take care of your problem..Marks Mowing Service

DLCS
06-17-2003, 01:08 AM
Make sure the ends of the sharpened side of blade is not rounding off or nicked up.

Jimbo
06-17-2003, 02:42 PM
Everything can be fine and you will still get that problem if the deck is too high. What height are you cutting at???

If you are mowing heavy growth at 4" or higher it can cause this problem. I think its due to a mix or turbulance and lots of discharge, so much so that the discharge blade cannot handle doing both jobs (cutting, and discharging).

I have experienced this problem from time to time and when I go cut the next prop at 3" it cuts like it was a pool table.

Can you tell me the blades your using, cut height, and where the missed grass is (discharge, middle, or left side)?

Jimbo

P.S. If any of this sounds accurate you might try changing the front baffle position (provided you have the advantage deck).

grassdaddy
06-17-2003, 03:13 PM
Adding a gator mulcher on top of standard 'MARBAIN' scag blade made night and day diff. on mine.About 8.00 bucks a piece at lesco for hi-lift gators.:)

mklawnman
06-17-2003, 07:16 PM
The deck cut is 52", so each blade I believe is 17inches long or so. But we usually cut this property at 3.5inches and even at that cut with the hills and ruts it has it still at times cuts pretty close to the turf. This problem also occurs at times on the lawns we cut at 3inches too, especially in thicker lawns. The problem occurs on the left side of the deck. I know the blades are due for a sharpening here this week before we go mowing again on Friday but its only been about 1wk since I last sharpened them. They are standard Marbain Scag Blades, yeah I do have the Advantage deck but it doesnt have the "Turbo Baffle" in it but I plan on putting one in this week because the grass doesnt go that far on the WB compared to my Turf Tiger which has the Turbo Baffle in it.
Ill look at sharpening them and also making sure everything is balanced correctly from left to right on the mower.
Thanks
Matt

heybruck34
06-17-2003, 09:44 PM
I am having the same problem now with my 48" Scag Fixed Deck. It used to cut GREAT. One nite after reading here I decided to see what I was REALLY cutting at and found it was 2.5". I raised the deck to the highest setting and now it cuts really rough.

I only have one spacer on the bottom. Could this be part of my problem? If I add another I'm going to be below 3.5".

Jimbo- sounds like you had a similar problem as me. What did you do to fix/mitigate it....???

Phishook
06-17-2003, 10:50 PM
Same problem on my 61" Chariot. There have been a lot of posts here lately about this happening.

I tried everything. New blades, three new spindles, two new belts, new idler pulleys, clean deck, Checked air pressure, deck pitch just under 1/4". I even tried different blade combo's, singles, doubles, mulchers in every position possible. I'm only cutting off one weeks growth, nothing out of the ordinary. My other mowers are doing just fine.

Two things left that I can think of. 1.) A bent deck. 2.) low RPM's. :angry:

If any one find what is going on let me know.

lawnagent
06-17-2003, 11:07 PM
Yep that sounds about right. I was having that same problem on my Dixon. Several blades, spindles, bearings, etc later I found out that my deck is bent. The left is about 1/4 inch lower than the right. I have used a few spacers to level the blades back up and it has helped but I still have that problem to a degree.

mklawnman
06-18-2003, 12:08 AM
Hopefully my deck isnt bent. In thicker grasses you do have to slow down some cause the blade tip speed on my WB is slower than on the Turf Tiger, but I might try takin one spacer out to see, but yet not all lawns does the thing do this problem. So Ill have to measure everything again to see.
Hey Jimbo when you get back on here make sure to tell us the solution :p
Matt

heybruck34
06-18-2003, 07:54 AM
I don't think my deck is bent. It was cutting fine the day before and then I raised it to the highest setting. I also took 2 spacers out of the bottom and put them on the top. Now it cuts rough.

Once it stops RAINING I'm going to put another spacer back on the bottom- hopefully that will fix the problem.

Jimbo
06-23-2003, 04:58 PM
Heybruck34- I think you need to put your deck back into the middle position. You should be able to get 3.5" cut by adjusting the spacers while in the middle position. If you dont have the manuals I can look in my old 36" fixed deck manual to give you a proper recommendation.

mklawnman- My recommendation would be to first make sure your deck is in the middle position. Second measure your blades from tip to tip diagonally. The blades for a 36" and 52" deck are actually 18" blades. Check all that and let me know.

Jimbo

BSDeality
06-23-2003, 05:17 PM
i have that same "strip" only on one particular property though where i cut it a little higher than the rest of mine. It happens when the caster runs down the grass and my deck is up a little higher than normal so it looses some lift and it can't pull the grass back up.

Either slow down or lower the blade or get some higher lift blades if you're not already running them.

kris
06-23-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by lawnagent
later I found out that my deck is bent.

Same thing happened to us ... had to send it in to an autobody shop to fix ... posted this before ... near drove me crazy!