PDA

View Full Version : 72" machines..

Lawn-Scapes
06-16-2003, 11:40 PM
I think I'm ready to step up to a 72" mower. I'd especially like to hear from those who may have had different brands and which you prefer. What is the minimum HP you would recommend?

wriken
06-17-2003, 07:41 AM
I have a cub commercial, which has a 28 hp Generac motor, it does a great job. I was a little leary bout the hp rating, but found out it is enough, but I would go bigger if it was available. Some properties I recently cut, have not been cut all year I once cut them at 4"s with no problems, I'm talking 8-20"s tall. Had to go slow but did it, motor has a lot of torque.

Got this for 7000.00 before taxes.

bjw
06-17-2003, 12:44 PM
I purchased a Dixie XT-3000 72" with the 30hp Generac motor. I initially tested the Hustler (69") with the Kaw motor and the Esmark with the 31hp water cooled engine. I cut Bahia grass which can grow a foot a week down here in South Florida during the summer. The test field was also Bahia about 12" to 18" high cut down to about 4 1/2". The Hustler while built like a tank, simply didn't fit my frame well and did not have the power to push thru the grass without really slowing down. (it was also the least expensive) The Esmark seemed to be a well made mower, would cut thru better than the Hustler did but was also about $11K. I cut with the Dixie last, it made an extremely smooth clean cut as fast as I dared run the mower. It was also by far the smoothest riding and steering unit of the three and without a doubt felt more powerful, the cost was 9K plus tax. I know a lot of people on this site don't like Dixie, I found the unit to be well made and simple in design, it is not however a work of design art. It is very comfortable and easy to drive. There has been some initial problems with the Generac engine although I have not personally experienced any. However, twice, Dixie has contacted me stating they wished to make some updates to my unit. Now this has been done without me calling them, which in my opinion speaks well for the company. Each time, they came out and picked up the unit, did the modifications and brought it back to me. The Generac is a high performance engine and will require a little more maint. than the other units, however the power is really outstanding. Just my two cents worth...

bob
06-17-2003, 06:03 PM
I bought a 2003 Gravely 272z. I never concidered Gravely mowers until a friend of mine twisted my arm to at least look at them. I'm real glad I did. It has a 31HP Turbo Diesel engine. It holds 14 gallons of fuel, has a hydrallic deck lift, head lights, and goes 13 mph. The quality of the cut is also very impressive.

Albemarle Lawn
06-17-2003, 09:08 PM
It is a little underpowered but not bad. It has the 25HP Kohler engine.

I would recommend the Kubota ZD28 with a fabricated deck. Cheaper than the Gravely and better machine, too.

Less to go wrong, fewer belts, no electric clutch, shaft driven, tougher components.

The problem with Gravely 72" mowers is that they are an adaptation of the 60" version. They have the "mainentance free" spindles- what a joke. I have had nothing but trouble from them. They don't have grease fittings. They are disposable. At over $150 plus downtime that's terrible.

Ken