PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning deck on my Lazer HP

BrianWilson
06-17-2003, 02:43 AM
I have noticed when changing blades that the deck is built up with grass (Excessively) I am having to scrape all the sh%# out from the deck 2-3 times per week. The worst part is it is taking me 45 or more minutes to clean the underside of the deck? Is this normal? Does anyone else have this problem? Do you have any tricks or suggestions? I will try to post some pictures of the amount of grass debris I'm getting out of the underside of the deck sometime this week. I would also like to know if any of you have an online source for mower blades? I would like to purchase some new blades for my Honda Push and my Exmark Lazer HP. Anyone know what brand or what kind of blade can be used on either one of those machines?

Thanks
Brian

Strawbridge Lawn
06-17-2003, 07:26 AM
Very common for mulching mowers in the spring in wet grass. Excessive buildup may be because of a worn blade wing which helps keep material noving for mulching. Probably the reason many don't mulch. I Take a sturdy paint scraper and it takes me
less than 5 minutes to do all 3 blade bays. I don't try to get every grass folicle for I know what I will be doing later anyway.
Not much help out there I am afraid. Drier weather (hopefully) is coming and you will have less of a problem.
To bad there wasn't some type of air injection sustem into the
baffle areas 3K PSI that could blast this stuff off periodically.

AltaLawnCare
06-17-2003, 07:48 AM
Two or three times a week??

We're scraping several times per day! I don't think any blades are gonna help much. I'm running excalibers high lifts...not mulchers, and they cut better than the standard notched foils.
;)

Premo Services
06-17-2003, 07:55 AM
I also have to scrape a lot in the spring. I use the excalibers too, and they cut well. As it dries I will but the mulch kit on till when the leaves get thick.

xi_bowhunter
06-17-2003, 08:34 AM
I use EZ Slide spray on my decks and it helps to reduce build up.

GrassInPA
06-17-2003, 09:31 AM
Hey guys,

I might not know what I'm talking about here but I figured I'll give it a shot. I've seen this certain item on lawn tractors since I work at Sears and have to know what my competition has, but I haven't seen it on a commercial walkbehind yet.

Troy-Built I believe has some type of quick connect for a garden hose that is bulit into the top of the mower deck for cleaning out the underside. Two problems I have seen:

1. I have not either the actual product, much less saw how good it works.

2. I don't know how you would go about fitting this into/onto an already existing deck that wasn't manufactured for this type of device.

If you have any more questions, let me know and I'll try and see if I can find pics online or something like that.

Happy Mowing,
Zach

AltaLawnCare
06-17-2003, 09:38 AM
Another thing, always scrape it when its wet....should take just a minute per deck.
I use an old blade, I'm getting ready to mount a wooden handle on it to make it easier. ;)

Runner
06-17-2003, 09:48 AM
45 minutes to scrape out an HP deck? What are you using, a screwdriver? No, with all kidding aside, basically, as it was said before,if you can do it when it's wet, it scrapes right off. Are you using a wide scrtaper? If you are, this could be part of your problem. A 3 - 4 " wide scraper is to big. It doesn't fit in everywhere as easily, it flexes, and it also gives you too much resistance for easy scrapind. I use a plastic handled scraper about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" wide is all. This works great. As for the idea for the hose nozzle thing, I saw that on some pushmower before, where I guesss it wouldn't matter, because there is onlt the one bay. On a larger deck, though, there would be no way to cover all the bays. Besides that, there is no better way to ruin a your mower spindles than to run water up into them. I DEFINITELY would not suggest the "hose treatment".

Gravely_Man
06-17-2003, 10:20 AM
I scrape several times a day and it is very quick and done when changing out blades. Scraping out the deck not only helps the deck to work as it was designed but helps prevent the spread of disease and helps the deck from rusting out. The best time to scrape is when the grass is still wet. The older Toro push mowers used to have the connector for attaching a garden hose and they activating the blades to clean the underside of the deck.

Gravely_Man

Duncan Lawn Care
06-17-2003, 03:15 PM
j-thomas.com for ordering blades online.

GreenQuest Lawn
06-17-2003, 11:44 PM
Just keep a pile of sand on your trailer. Before you change blades engage the blades and sand blast it..................:eek: :eek:

Seriously I mow sand, heck its all thats here alot of the area actually is built on the sand dunes from Lake Michigan. I have scraped my deck 3 times in 3 years. Most times its shiny under the deck. I will have to take a pic sometime.

deason
06-18-2003, 01:46 AM
I'm with Alta and Runner on this one. Need to be scraping after each lawn or until the grass dries off.

I use an old edger blade and it works great. Since I switched to star blades on the stick edger, I have a few laying around. I also spray the deck at least once a day in wet conditions with a silicone based spray. Or, you can try Mo-Deck. For the price, I go by Auto Zone once a month and but 4 to 5 bottles of "Black Magic" tire shine. It keeps the underside of the deck slick so grass doesnt build up as bad. But, on the Exmark I have found that as long as you are giving the machine a steady feeding of material, the build up isnt very bad. Seems to "clean itself". BTW I am mulching, not side discharging.

From a quality standpoint, the more build-up under the deck, the less effective the airflow design becomes. Have you noticed that is some spots, where the grass is thin, it leaves stringers? This is the # 1 cause of poor cut quality.

Dirty decks. Keeping them clean is a little more work but well worth the results.