PDA

View Full Version : Super ruts Why would anyone do this?

David Haggerty
06-17-2003, 05:14 PM
In front of the new Wal-Mart Super Center are two out lots available for lease.
Yesterday a man on a 4WD tractor "mowed" them with a bush hog. I know it was 4WD because he had all 4 spinning at once.
These weren't lawns. Just vacant lots that had been graded and seeded. But they didn't deserve this.
I can't imagine why anyone would be motivated to do this much damage. My son and I just stared in disbelief! We didn't approach the operator. But I did e-mail this question and picture to the real estate company.
If they send a reply we can pick a winner for this question.
Otherwise we may all be forever baffled.
Does anyone have a clue?

battags
06-17-2003, 05:33 PM
I wouldn't rule out the real estate company for being at fault. I've had ones before who want it cut the same day every week without exception. This may be another case of "I told you so" by one LCO to a customer.....

Advanced Lawncare
06-17-2003, 05:36 PM
I would not do that much damage regardless, even if manager wanted it "done today" they would have to fire me. Think of how big of a pain that is going to be when it dries.:confused:

lawncare3
06-17-2003, 05:37 PM
That's just HORRIBLE. :mad:

Why would anyone be that moronic and ruin a whole lawn?

@##*^&%$

BSDeality
06-17-2003, 06:06 PM
its not a lawn, its a field, zoned as commercial. when anything get's built there they're going to bulldoze the bajeezuz out of it anyways. I don't see what the big stink is about.

John Gamba
06-17-2003, 06:30 PM
I Don't think You can even See it from the Road. No Big deal.
John

LAWNGODFATHER
06-17-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by David Haggerty
Does anyone have a clue? I've done worse.

The place was getting fined for tall grass and it had to be done "NOW"!

ElephantNest
06-17-2003, 06:55 PM
I say plant some corn there, it's already tilled and rowed.

AztlanLC
06-17-2003, 08:33 PM
I can't imagine why anyone would be motivated to do this much damage. My son and I just stared in disbelief! We didn't approach the operator. But I did e-mail this question and picture to the real estate company.

I can't belive you actually did it.

Maybe like LGF said, it had to be done, why contac the real state company? just to see if you get the job instead?.

awm
06-17-2003, 08:40 PM
the man didnt give a dam, one way or then other. this buisness is loaded with these, now days.hate to be negative but its true.about the worst ive seen tho.

David Haggerty
06-17-2003, 08:42 PM
BSDeality;
These lots could stay like this for years before they're leased.
Who could maintain that piece of work?

John;
These lots flank the main entrance into Wal-Mart.

LGF;
There was a piece on the front page of the newspaper about overgrown lots. These lots were taller than 8" (limit) but this was a new lawn! And this city doesn't even fine people. They just come around and mow it and charge $50/hr. They have a 60" Exmark.

ElephantNest;
Looks like they've started a mosquito farm. There's been a piece in the newspaper about that too. They advised people to drain standing water.

lawncare3;
I couldn't agree more!

Advanced Lawncare;
I'd have balked on this one too. There hasn't been a farmer in his fields this whole month. It's absolutely soggy here. I'd worry about a lawsuit by doing that much damage.

battags;
That's the idea I had too. I'll wait a couple of days on an e-mail reply from the developer. I'll post any replies I get.

Thanks again everyone for your input.

Here's another pic.

DLCS
06-17-2003, 11:02 PM
Maybe that lot got sold and the developer wanted it cut down so they could mark it out easier. I have had people call me and want me to come out right away to mow down a lot so they could mark it out for a new basement or foundation. Just a thought, just trying to make sense of why someone would go to that extreme. I wouldn't want the publicity of doing such a crappy job, especially where everyone would see me.

deere ZTR
06-17-2003, 11:19 PM
I'm with everyone else on this one. I would never want my name attached to that kind of mess. Wouldn't it have just been easier to pay some one to mow it on a regular basis and then it would stay dried out a lot better.

shasta
06-17-2003, 11:46 PM
That's how tractor work is. I wish that you could get that letter to the real estate company back before it gets there. The operator doesn't deserve that.

KirbysLawn
06-18-2003, 02:13 AM
David I also am amazed. I dodn't understand anyone saying the would do this type of work, hell I would not put my equipment thru that ****. Wow.

Mickhippy
06-18-2003, 05:27 AM
Dont blame the Slasher. He must of (had to of) been told to mow it "now" It really does look shyt all the same. Long Live the Mossies!

MOW ED
06-18-2003, 06:42 AM
It was a demo of the new line of "Scrub" brush hogging/planting tractor that Wal-Mart will sell next season.

David Haggerty
06-18-2003, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by shasta
That's how tractor work is. I wish that you could get that letter to the real estate company back before it gets there. The operator doesn't deserve that.

You can bet the tractor operator wouldn't do that to his own field.
And the note to the realtor was courtesy letting them know I'd posted this on the: WORLD WIDE WEB

AztlanLC;
Well there's sure no work there now for anyone!
The guy I recommend for busshhogging wouldn't come back into these ruts. He'd be afraid he'd get flipped off of his tractor and the "hog" would eat him.

awm;
Maybe somehow posting this will raise the standards a little.
I mow a property 3 doors down from this. If I'd cut ruts like this into their lawn they would have me in jail!

DLCS;
They just finished the store. These lots were newly seeded. The "property for lease" signs are new.
Before these ruts were cut a person might have been able to walk these lots if they were cautious.

deere ZTR I'm with everyone else on this one. I would never want my name attached to that kind of mess. Wouldn't it have just been easier to pay some one to mow it on a regular basis and then it would stay dried out a lot better.
I agree. A professional LCO would have done much better.

KirbysLawn;
I think this guy is a local farmer judging by his equipment.
4WD tractor with a cab plus a 6 or 7' 3pt hitch bush hog.

Mickhippy;
I think someone's accountable. Even if this suits the operator or the developer it falls pretty far short of community standards.
Who or what are the Mossies?

Again thanks very much for everyone's input. I didn't intend to criticize anyone's opinion. Because I think we can all agree that nobody likes this.

Gravely_Man
06-18-2003, 01:54 PM
That is some sweet ruts the operator included for free while mowing! This will help him mow in the same path each time the field is cut. I would never do anything like that.:dizzy:

Gravely_Man

GraZZmaZter
06-18-2003, 02:22 PM
Mike - How did you feel attaching your name to the job that was "worse" than that one??

They may want it done NOW, but when the smoke clears its your truck parked in front of that awful site.

Just curious.....

shasta
06-18-2003, 04:26 PM
Grazzmazter, not all mowing companies are in the business of "lawn care". There are companies that do "contract mowing". They perform work for utility company right of ways, bushhog vacant lots, etc... Typically, work is broken up into "improved" and "unimproved" areas. To attempt to make an "unimproved" and flooded vacant lot appear "improved" is a waste. Your truck parked out front would only tell me that you are properly equipped for bushhog work, and are 4 wheel drive capable at that. I have no reason to believe that the operator can't go to the next property and perform "finished, meticulous lawn care". The real estate company needed someone to knock that thing down, so they called a man who was capable of knocking it down, without getting swallowed up in the muck. You can bet that he wasn't thrilled about sliding around in his own tracks while mowing it, but we are unaware of the full circumstances. Some people use tractors with track drives and hydro-axe attachments to plow down places like that. I've seen weed filled fields taken care of with bulldozers. If it's not a "lawn", it's hard to apply "lawn" standards to it. If the real estate company is upset by all of this, and tries to have a "lawn care" company make it look "nice" this summer, they're in for further disappointments.

Lawn Dog2001
06-18-2003, 04:37 PM
Ruts? Those arent ruts. The guy who mowed just had a really kick @$$ striping kit attached to that mower.:D

ULTIMATE LAWN
06-18-2003, 06:04 PM
If I were the property manager or owner I would take this buffoon to court.

shasta
06-18-2003, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Lawn, please read my above posting to find out why you would lose the case and earn a reputation for being a company to NOT do business with and waste everyones money on lawyers fees.

David Haggerty
06-18-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by shasta
but we are unaware of the full circumstances.

You're really swinging blind trying to defend this guy(s).

The fact is the contractor graded and seeded this lot.
Then the man with the tractor comes in right after a duck drounder rainfall and proceeds to destroy it all.

This is prime real estate, lawns on either side and it's on the main street in front of the biggest store in town.

Just trying to figure why:

1 Don't care

2 Voices in his head told him to do it. (the devil, the realtor, etc)

3 Thought he'd get away with it because nobody cared.

I'm just posting this on the net hoping the right guy will see it and start breathin down somebodys' shirt demanding WTF were you thinking!

But Hey! If you think this guy's work is OK keep in touch. With any luck at all he'll be available soon!

I just don't think developers should be doing stuff like this. There are more vacant "development properties" in town that have been vacant for years. They bush hog them a couple of times a year, trash and all. It actually looks worse after it's mowed. And it's in front of our Post Office. Local residents don't get away with this kind of behavior.

I mow vacant lots too. Get a few muddy tracks but no permanent damage. Here's a partial pic of 6 acres of vacant lot.

Toroguy
06-18-2003, 10:54 PM
That is some seriously ******ed mowing. The company shouldn't be fired, they should be sentenced to Lawn Mowing H e l l.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-18-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by GraZZmaZter
Mike - How did you feel attaching your name to the job that was "worse" than that one??

They may want it done NOW, but when the smoke clears its your truck parked in front of that awful site.

Just curious..... It was either pay me to bush hog it or pay the substantial fine. I got stuck so bad when it started to rain on me, those ruts are noting compared to what I left. Looked like it was bull dozed. Real estate company happy cause it didn't need to be done for many months afterword, city happy cause it wasn't a forest.

Luckily the bush hog had a loader bucket on front to push it back out.

There is a big difference in bush hogging and lawn care.

Stuff like that is not an everyday occurrence.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-18-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by ULTIMATE IDOIT
If I were the property manager or owner I would take this buffoon to court. Not all property needs to be well groomed, that land will be graded when it's developed.

deere ZTR
06-18-2003, 11:09 PM
That is rediculous I'm sure the City would understand if you wanted to wait to mow it to avoid damage like that. Its been tall that long whats another few days going to hurt. Now if some poor s.o.b. has to mow that again he's going to have a jaw wrenching day. Ram it and Jam in this business just doesnt cut it.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-18-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by deere ZTR
That is rediculous I'm sure the City would understand if you wanted to wait to mow it to avoid damage like that..

Where I am from the bureaucrats want it done now with no excuses, they feel they have given enough time since you get a 10 day notice first then the second one is a court date, if not done before the court date it could be up wards of $50,000.

It wasn't a 2 more day thing, it was do now, should have been done a month ago.

deere ZTR
06-18-2003, 11:22 PM
I understand that politicians are a pain in the ***. However ten days is a pretty big window to dry out though I know all about midwestern weather patterns and thats not always possible I would try until I was blue in the face to get the city to hold off until it was more suitable and if they didnt go for it I dont know that it would be worth it to have your name stuck to that kind of work unless it came with one hell of a pay check.

JB1
06-18-2003, 11:23 PM
we've gotten into situations like that before, should have been done sooner but wasn't, just try explaining to EPA officials why you need more time, they don't care , they have given you a deadline and it better be done.

Advanced Lawncare
06-18-2003, 11:26 PM
I could possibly see doing that much damage if as LGF said the fine was super expensive, but if I remember correctly this city does not fine, they cut it and charge an hourly rate ($50.00).

LAWNGODFATHER
06-18-2003, 11:27 PM
The one I did the court date was the next day, I got the call the night before, and knowing that little bit of pertinent info gained me a gouged price for his small laps in memory, he had close to a month to do it.

I am not making up excused for the pics, but in my aera this is why it's done like that.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-18-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Advanced Lawncare
I could possibly see doing that much damage if as LGF said the fine was super expensive, but if I remember correctly this city does not fine, they cut it and charge an hourly rate ($50.00).

Here they fine you for every day it's not mowed. Many cities quit mowing the vacant lots and take the fines instead, the commercial properties are huge over the resi lots.

I used to do vacant lot clean up's for some of the cities, so "my name" was already attached to it shall we say.

Advanced Lawncare
06-18-2003, 11:38 PM
I can see it there in St. Louis, I am not sure what Columbia charges, but I am sure that it is expensive as well they hire "lawn police" in the summer to measure grass. Just another way to get money for them to waste.

Mickhippy
06-19-2003, 06:07 AM
Mossie,,,,,,,, Thats Aussie slang for Mosquito! I was trying to have a laugh was all. It really is terrible what the guys done. Totally unacceptable!

David Haggerty
06-19-2003, 06:20 PM
The real estate company hasn't responded to my e-mail.
So there's no clear winner to the question. But my vote goes to Mickhippys' final comment."Totally unacceptable"

Thanks to everyone for your opinion and your perspective on this issue. Maybe this thread can be put to an added use.

Since I didn't get a reply from the realtor, I'm e-mailing the link to this thread to the mayor. Here's a copy of my e-mail:

Dave;
I'm aware that Wilmington is upgrading standards for people's property maintenance.
I recently posed the question of vacant lot maintenance to the discussion group on Lawnsite.com.
The post got numerous responses from lawn care professionals from all over.
Here is the link if you'd like to see it: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48079

Dave Haggerty

Darryl G
06-19-2003, 11:36 PM
I ran into some guys at the local power equip. shop a couple of weeks ago that do contract mowing like Shasta described.

They were there to get parts for their Swishers which they pull behind an amphibious vehicle. They mow phragmites with it, which can get to be 12 to 14 feet tall.

They get stuck regularly....and that's with an amphib! Now that would make some real nice ruts!

Movinfr8
06-20-2003, 12:14 AM
No one mentioned the poor striping qualities of the hog!
Maybe a roller would improve it a little.
See, everyone lookin at the ruts, nobody grading the stripes!!!whoops, I replied after only reading page 1!
it seems stripes were mentioned, kinda...

DLCS
06-20-2003, 12:20 AM
Why keep this going. I assume you lost out on a bid to this guy. I wouldn't worry about it, if the people who own the property don't care, why should you.

bob
06-20-2003, 10:11 AM
Looks like a farmers field. Might as well plant some crops.