PDA

View Full Version : It was fun while it lasted, but I am getting out of the business.

roscioli
06-17-2003, 06:44 PM
Don't know if this thread has any real point, but I am getting out of the landscape business. I was about 90% maintenance, and I just don't enjoy it anymore. When I started, I loved it, but now it is such a drag, I find it hard to wake up in the morning knowing that I have to mow all day. If I lived in a magical world with no dust, and customers that understood what Rain means, maybe I could keep doing it... oh yeah, and money, my family is going to pay me a heck of a lot more working for them in the restaurant than I am currently making, and I am too impatient to continue growing. Employee problems helped, rain helped, and everything else helped, but I figured I better get out while I can if I don't enjoy it, right? Right. Thanks for the wealth of knowledge guys, I will stick around and continue learning and posting, but I just wont be operating anymore.
-Mike

yardman1
06-17-2003, 06:48 PM
Good luck with the family business and hope everything works out for the best.

Kevin

John Gamba
06-17-2003, 06:49 PM
Mike
I Know How You Feel! You will Be Back(At Least Part time)With a rider and a Better understanding Of What type of Costumer You will Do.

Good Luck
Johnny G.

roscioli
06-17-2003, 06:51 PM
John- I know, I know... I am debating keeping my equipment and a few customers just in case I regret it... but selling the equipment would give me a quick down payment on a house I plan to build before winter 2004... Who knows?
edit: I am running a 27 L/C Lazer now, still hate mowing!

John Gamba
06-17-2003, 06:57 PM
How will you Get the Extra Money to Enjoy The New House Without The L/C?????????????????
You know now You Will never Be Able to use A Walkbehine!
john

cos
06-17-2003, 07:11 PM
Mike,

I know how ya feel. I was like you at one time flying high an made a decision that dramatical affected the biz. Having employees is no fun. I can only wish you luck in anything you do and hope you continue to be a valuable asset here.

STAN1366
06-17-2003, 08:23 PM
Been thinking about getting out myself. I just bought a Lazer Z HP this year and though it's made things go much easier, the constant rain has really soured me. Seems like all the sunny days I'm working at my regular job and the wife & kids telling me I'm getting too old to do this is wearing thin. Got a call today from a kid I know when I was his Scoutmaster. My son was in the same Boy Scout troop. I used to have a snow plowing business and he called to ask a few questions about how to go about it. He's also doing lawns now, but never knew I've been doing lawns for the last 25 yrs. part time. He's looking to expand and most of my accounts are near where he lives. He's also looking for a trailer, so if he offers me a good price, I'm done. I'll have to keep my Bob Cat w/b & a few small machines and maybe just do a couple, but that's it.
Good luck. You can always come back, right?

edrenckh
06-17-2003, 08:37 PM
Hang on to your equipment, you can always 'scrub' out a few lawns for some pocket money - lol.

Good Luck!!

AVRECON
06-17-2003, 09:02 PM
Most of what you just named in your post is why I had to say "enough is enough". I had 10 years full time in the biz. It just got to be more of a hassle than it was worth to me. I never say never, but I don't intend on going full time in the lawn care biz again. Not that I wouldn't like to. But the comp here is unreal. And as far as employee's, geezus I went through a bunch ofem.
Anyway good luck with your new endeavors.

Moguy
06-19-2003, 12:25 PM
You have to do what makes you the happiest and makes ends meet. Best of luck

Gravely_Man
06-19-2003, 01:24 PM
You have to do what makes you happy and will pay the bills. Best of luck to you in the restaurant business! Keep checking in and let us know how it goes for you.

Gravely_Man

Mickhippy
06-19-2003, 07:24 PM
Take a heap of business cards to the restaurant and hand them out with the bills! Just kidding! Are you going to sell all your gear or maybe do it part time? Get rid of all the bad customers and keep the good ones that pay cash. Just a thought. Good luck.

Zattpazz
06-19-2003, 08:14 PM
GOOD LUCK!
ZATTPAZZ

BobR
06-19-2003, 08:23 PM
Had that old 'hate this' feeling when I was holding down a desk for a large company said 'adios' and became a LCO (one man show) it's been 6 years and I still love the smell of fresh cut grass, the dust and rain are minor inconveniences compared to the 9 til 5 grind wheel.. Good Luck in the family business at least they will treat you like a human being not just a number.. I bet you will really mis running that LC Lazer through a pile of doggie doo in the morning and having to wait til you got home to hose it off.
BobR

GraZZmaZter
06-19-2003, 08:51 PM
Ive been doing this a long time and plan on doing this alot longer. I want John Allin's job!