PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with a Flower Bed

buffett
06-17-2003, 08:34 PM
Our house is on an inclined lot and we have a stone retaining wall in front of our house that stands 3-4 feet high. The stone wall comes out 4-5 feet from the front of our home and this is what makes up our front flower beds. When the builder built our house they filled this area with sand and topped it off with mulch. The plants that were planted in the flowers beds donít seem to be getting enough water. I had a couple of landscapers come out and they gave bids to pull the existing plants and dig 1-2 feet of the sand out of the flowers beds and fill with Pro Bedding Dirt. They said that sand retains no water and can be harmful to the plants. This soil for the beds is full of sandy loam (the silly putty looking clay).

Based on what these landscapers are telling me, is this necessary? The bids they gave to do this were real high that is why I am asking. I can post pictures if you need me to.

Thanks for your help.

ffemt1271
06-20-2003, 12:36 AM
do it yourself. you have the perfect learning project . take what they were going to charge you, rent the equipment needed , if any, and re construt it yoursel. you will probably save a ton of money

greenman
06-20-2003, 11:55 PM
The builders never should have put sand in there to begin with. Not much will grow in sand, unless you want desert plants. The sandy loam is very necessary. That is what is needed for the plants to do well. Is it pure sand in there now? Make a sand box for your child or children with it? Its hard work removing any kind of material, most of $ on those bids are probably mostly labor. You can sit back and watch the 'scapers sweat or save yourself a bundle and do it yourself.

Ric3077
06-21-2003, 03:16 AM
Buffett, make sure you got sand you said it looks like sill putty clay, well clay holds water and sand drains water 2 opposite issues, but if its sand, take a good 18 inches out and get some loam at a local nursery, some peat moss and cow manure. For each plant use 80% loam, 15% peat (to retain water), and 5% cow (fertalizer)...and throw in some terra sorb if you have it.:blob3: