PDA

View Full Version : I didn't realize how much I missed my mulch kit

HarryD
06-17-2003, 08:04 PM
I put my mulch kit back on the exmark today:D cant believe how much of a difference that thing makes. Less clean up :) no grass in mulch beds or rock beds and to be able to trim with both sides of the deck really is a time saver. cant wait till tomorrow and mow some more ;)

HarryD
06-17-2003, 08:21 PM
Anyone else put theres back on yet after this wet spring. grass growth here is slowing down big time. cant wait till some heat comes and slows everything down mowing will be a breeze :)

roscioli
06-17-2003, 08:37 PM
Odd, I took mine off tonight! I was getting sick of breathing in 10% grass, 90% air... Trying to bag, see my thread on 3.5 bushel bagger...

HarryD
06-17-2003, 10:33 PM
I was getting sick of bagging thats why I put mine back on. I dont bag vary much but there are a few lawns I have that have so many mulch beds its just eaiser to bag. with the lush spring growth coming to a end the mulch kit had to go back on

FrankenScagMachines
06-17-2003, 10:38 PM
I made a mulch baffle kit for the 52 scag a while back and it works great but the problem is that it doesn't have enough lift and leaves many stringers when mowing at 3.5". The blades have to sit up a bit inside the deck to mow at this height. Also I'm using the reverse gators like J-Thomas has but getting them locally from a Rotary dealer. They mulch great but don't have any lift. I used single regular lifts with it and they packed grass in too much and then the clumps of grass dropped down finally and made a mess because they were packed tightly together. I tried using doubles gators over lifts and that clumped badly.
Should I get some mulching blades but not gator type, the kind with some lift? Would that help? Or is it just something I have to put up with? The thing seems to have enough power with 14hp, it's 52" hydro with a sulky, but I have to double cut to get stringers so I just discharge with single regular blades.
Thanks,
Eric

brucec32
06-17-2003, 11:41 PM
Add a true fast convertible mulch/discharge deck to my wish list of things someone smart needs to invent. I remember my old 37" Toro had something like that, but it didn't mulch too great. I bet it could be done. I love mulching, but with tall wet grass and for high speed mowing it just causes more problems than it's worth. It'd be nice to be able to convert quickly in the field and switch back and forth.

greenman
06-17-2003, 11:53 PM
Actually, Harry, mine never comes off except for when I scalp my Bermuda and Zoysia lawns jsut bdfore greenup ( I put the bagger on for that).I love my mulch kit. Wet grass with mulch kit? No problem.

ULTIMATE LAWN
06-18-2003, 12:01 AM
Long wet turf cannot be mulched.

Mulching puts more strain on your mower & will drastically reduce engine life if done frequently in long turf.

Better to discharge the large areas & mulch the landscaped areas with trim mowers & WB's if possible.

HarryD
06-18-2003, 12:16 AM
Eric try a set of the exmark wavy blades. I have even been using them when side discarging also and really like them. never really thought the gators worked all that great for grass

Scag48
06-18-2003, 12:59 AM
Ultimate-No, if you have a decent powered machine, bogging isn't a problem, so the "strain" doesn't occur. Besides, on most resi. lawns, discharge is a PITA.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-18-2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by FrankenScagMachines
I made a mulch baffle kit Your input started with "I MADE" so that means it was worthless.

It has no berring on real world experiance.

I don't mulch, but I got this www.masterchute.com OCDC and man what a time saver.

I can see how not having the clippings flying can save time, I also have the factory OCDC on my DC's but they don'y block as well as the www.masterchute.com

And ULTIMATE LAWN, HORSE POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you wouldn't have bought the Walkers, DC's, Scag's, Woods's, Toro's and what other mowers you don't have cause we only seen 2 in pic, you might of been able to afford horse power instead of the TTHP 15hp and Toro 14hp you bought.

Strawbridge Lawn
06-18-2003, 06:58 AM
Keep mine on year round, but am tinkering with getting an Ultra-bac this fall for cleanups and renovations.

naturescape
06-18-2003, 09:33 AM
Add a true fast convertible mulch/discharge deck to my wish list of things someone smart needs to invent. I remember my old 37" Toro had something like that, but it didn't mulch too great. I bet it could be done. I love mulching, but with tall wet grass and for high speed mowing it just causes more problems than it's worth. It'd be nice to be able to convert quickly in the field and switch back and forth.

I think Exmark could easily add this feature (flip down baffles) to their decks with a little engineering. When they do, they are going to sell TWICE the mowers they sell now. Right, everyone? Exmark, are you listening?

HarryD
06-18-2003, 09:39 AM
LGF
on the masterchute do you hold the switch till it goes all the way down or all the way up. I have been looking into maybe getting one. when side discharging small lawns it makes such a mess and makes for more clean up especially high lift blades most mowers through the clippings 4 to 6 feet from the mower :mad:

MasterForm
06-18-2003, 10:02 AM
I think Exmark could easily add this feature (flip down baffles) to their decks with a little engineering. When they do, they are going to sell TWICE the mowers they sell now. Right, everyone? [/B][/QUOTE]

We might have something to bring them before too long.

The MasterChute is the best out there...now... but that doesn't mean that new products aren't on the way.

sblawncare
06-18-2003, 12:45 PM
Can you please tell me more about the mulch kit? how does it work? how do you attach it? and what do they cost? also are you people familiar with gator blades? are they any good? thanks for the info because I keep using the catcher (too much).

LAWNGODFATHER
06-18-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by HarryD
LGF
on the masterchute do you hold the switch till it goes all the way down or all the way up. I have been looking into maybe getting one. when side discharging small lawns it makes such a mess and makes for more clean up especially high lift blades most mowers through the clippings 4 to 6 feet from the mower :mad: Takes about 1 second to go full up or full down.

If only to go half way, I go all the way down then bring it back up, otherwise it's to fast closing to stop part way.

Gravely_Man
06-18-2003, 01:44 PM
Mulching is the way to go or at least an OCDC to keep the clippings out of the beds. Anything and everything that I can do to avoid bagging is done.

Gravely_Man

ULTIMATE LAWN
06-18-2003, 06:01 PM
Mulching on a daily basis will take anywhere from 500-1000 hrs of an engine' life. You will be at the higher end of the spetrum if mulching tall grass frequently. This applies to engines with strong hp to deck size ratio as well. The engine works harder.

Better to discharge the open areas & mulch landscaped areas with WB's or push mowers. The OCDC units are nice but really only work well if running doubles & or in med. growth. Otherwise they cause trailing & minor clumping.

TurfPro
06-18-2003, 07:35 PM
Mulching on a daily basis will take anywhere from 500-1000 hrs of an engine' life. You will be at the higher end of the spetrum if mulching tall grass frequently. This applies to engines with strong hp to deck size ratio as well. The engine works harder.

Ultimate Lawn,,,, do you have any REAL proof that this is the case,or is it pure speculation on your part? I've been mulching for quite some time and have never had an engine failure,,,,just wondering:rolleyes:

lawnkid
06-18-2003, 09:38 PM
Is a mulch kit really worth the extra money, I like discharging better and doesn't your deck get filled with clumps of grass underneath. I like discharging because my mowr can shoot the grass five feet out and it it dispersed evenly even in grass thes like 8" tall. When the grass is tall, just bag. ow well does a mulch kit do in like grass thats like 8" tall?

Darryl G
06-18-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by ULTIMATE LAWN
Mulching lawns on a daily basis will take anywhere from 500-1000 hrs of an engine' life. You will be at the higher end of the spetrum if mulching tall grass frequently. This applies to engines with strong hp to deck size ratio as well. The engine works harder.

That's why I mulch the lawns I mow on a weekly basis instead. Mulching them daily is unnecessary in my opinion.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-18-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by ULTIMATE IDOIT

Better to discharge the open areas & mulch landscaped areas with WB's or push mowers. The OCDC units are nice but really only work well if running doubles & or in med. growth. Otherwise they cause trailing & minor clumping.

HAHA HOHOHO HEHEHE

PROOF where is it?

Working the engine harder is not going to cut 500-1000 hours off it's life.

Heck you claim you mulch leaves, that's harder on your mower than mowing turf.

You are so full of bologna it's unreal. How do come up with this info, just make it up or do you really believe this cockamamie?

BTW you should really learn to use the spell checker.

greenman
06-18-2003, 11:23 PM
LMAO, LGF. Your a hoot. He's a DA, for sure.

Ultimate, how is mulching going to lessen the life of the engine by that much? It doesn't put that much strain on it, yes it does work harder, but decrease the life of the engine? HA!

DLCS
06-18-2003, 11:42 PM
Ultimate Engineer,

Wheres the stats about the decrease in engine life while mulching? I think you just pulled that out of your arse.
:dizzy:

LGF,

LMAO

ULTIMATE LAWN
06-18-2003, 11:43 PM
Mulching large open areas daily will cause the engine to work harder decreasing the life of said engine. An engine that is used to mulch daily from inception will have a dramatically shorter lifespan than one that is used to discharge similar growth.

Mulching has its place, however it is better suited to WB's, mini Z's, & push mowers in landscaped areas.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-18-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by ULTIMATE IDIOT
Mulching large open areas daily will cause the engine to work harder decreasing the life of said engine. An engine that is used to mulch daily from inception will have a dramatically shorter lifespan than one that is used to discharge similar growth.

Mulching has its place, however it is better suited to WB's, mini Z's, & push mowers in landscaped areas.

OK you've been smoking it to much and not mowing it.

60" 23hp WB mulched it's entire life vrs 60" 28hp EFI rider mulched it's entire life, which will last longer?

According to you, the WB, but to me, the one with more hp will last longer, cause the mower has operated with less stress.

BTW you just contradicted your entire first statement.

Mowers going to use more fuel, thats for sure, shorten engine life, not a chance. Maybe for you Kawisucky users.

PROOF!!!!!!

HarryD
06-18-2003, 11:50 PM
I myself could care less how much it shortens the life of the motor. I like mulching better then discharging. I do discharge in the spring when growth is fast and lush most of the lawns I do are turf type fescue and grow at a unbelievable rate so when the grass slowed down and I was able to get the mulch kit back on it made me a happy camper :)

brucec32
06-25-2003, 10:53 AM

It's all relative. Ok, let's assume it takes 1/3 off your engine's life. So you have to replace an engine 1/3 sooner. Check my math on this, but 1/3 x $1500 engine replacement (assuming it's not a monster) = $500 more expense. But over the 2-3 years before that replacement happens, the mulching might save way more than $500 in time bagging, cleaning up and disposing of clippings, and the double sided trimming saves time too. Engine cost is maybe $.50/hour. My labor is worth maybe $60/hour. I discharge most of the year with my big mower and mulch with a smaller one, but I wouldn't let engine wear bother me when I need to mulch. Saving 30 seconds an hour, I'd break even mulching.

Gravely_Man
06-25-2003, 11:37 AM
My mower should have died long ago then because I mulch as much as possible. Only during this incredible wet spring we had did I not mulch. I have not seen any adverse effect to my equipment from years of mulching.

Gravely_Man