PDA

View Full Version : Walker 26 EFI in shop again!

Tomt
06-17-2003, 11:08 PM
Any of you have a new, 2-3 months old, EFI Walker and having EFI problems?
Just took mine in for the second time in 30 days. Check engine light comes on and engine starts running rich. I am told now that it is a electrical ground problem.???

Any of you had this problem and had it fixed?

Mower can't make much money in the $hop.

ZX12R
06-17-2003, 11:28 PM
Mine is 3 months old..........no problems. Let me know what the problem was when it is fixed,ok?

MOW ED
06-18-2003, 07:55 AM
Bad to hear.

I have a 2000 model and they only had one issue. The screen befroe the fuel pump was too fine and it burned the pump out. Design problem from Bosch. Full warranty replace and I have not had one problem in more than 800 hours.

I am looking forward to seeing the 28's do as well in other mowers. I think Walker is also selling the new 29 l/c model. I am not sure if thats EFI or not.

Huften Lawn Care
06-18-2003, 01:53 PM
I have the same damn problem. It has been in the shop 5 times. The first time they welded the muffler thinking it was interfering with the o2 sensor. Didn't work! Next, they changed the ignition switch. Didn't work. Next, they thought it was a grounding problem. Didn't work! I guess Walker, Kohler and Bosch are all pulling their hair out over this one. But what about us! This machine works great but enough already. I must say my dealor has been very accomadatig though.

Gravely_Man
06-18-2003, 02:47 PM
Sorry to hear that you are having a problem with a new machine. Hopefully they will get the problem resolved quickly and either you have a loaner or a backup mower while your new one is in the shop. Please let us know what the final fix is.

Gravely_Man

Keith
06-18-2003, 07:22 PM
Not a Walker, but my Lazer is having problems with the 26 EFI. MIL does not come on, but it goes through periods of rough, rich and underpowered conditions. Some times it seems to run great and some times it doesn't.

John Gamba
06-19-2003, 07:08 AM
I Thought Yours was fixed?

Tharrell
06-19-2003, 07:33 AM
OT but related. We don't sell the Walker efi at the shop I work at, matter of fact we don't sell ANY available efi engines on any of the mowers brands we sell. Too many potential problems just like automobiles. On the flip side, not many people will be able to diagnose/work on them, just like automobiles. Oh yeah, be sure to disconnect your battery before working on them. Also, speaking from a general perspective, a "weak" ground is responsible for more problems than it gets credit for.

Green Pastures
06-19-2003, 10:17 AM
I bought my 26EFI Walker last fall. I have not had a singly problem with it.

I would'nt worry about it though even if I did as my local Walker dealer always has at least 1 new 26 EFI in stock. If mine broke while still less than 1 year old, I'd surely get to use a new one as a loaner while mine was getting repaired.

Keith
06-19-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by John Gamba
I Thought Yours was fixed?

I thought it was too :o Then the problem returned a couple weeks back.

I have been talking with another lawnsite member who has been having problems with his 28. His troubles seem similar to mine. I am waiting to see where they go with his for a fix. I am pretty sure the dealer I bought from would be completely in the dark as they pretty much told me that when I bought it.

John Gamba
06-19-2003, 03:03 PM
Keep in touch Please
John

landscaper3
06-19-2003, 07:09 PM
On the 26EFI put a second ground off the fuel pump, stock OEM isnt properly grounded on some EFI's. We have 3 and 2 of the had simuluar problems and were cured with this fix,

Tomt
06-19-2003, 07:09 PM
The problem has always been a suspected ground problem, but all of Walker's suspect areas were no help. The dealer tracked the problem to the wiring harness. So far so good, after 4 hours.

Keith
06-21-2003, 02:47 PM
I'm gonna have to go along with the ground, bad connection thing. I was mowing a medium sized vacant lot in a subdivision yesterday with my 26 Lazer. The mower seemed to be working just fine. When I went back to cut over an area again, I don't know whether I hit a bump or what, it started running poorly. Coming out of a turn to make another pass, it will load up with fuel and sounds like RPM falls drastically like it struggling to keep up. Engine speed does pick back up once speed is gained, but high grass has the same effect after that. I have not used it today, but maybe I will hit another bump and it will straighten out :)

Keith
06-24-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by landscaper3
On the 26EFI put a second ground off the fuel pump, stock OEM isnt properly grounded on some EFI's. We have 3 and 2 of the had simuluar problems and were cured with this fix,

I added a second one tonight. We'll see if it helped tomorrow. The mower ran terrible yesterday and today. I am slap out of mowers :( My Kees has parts backordered and the Grasshopper just isn't what I would call a backup. I guess I still have the 36 Metro :eek:

Keith
06-24-2003, 10:59 PM
One more interesting finding while I was doing this. It appears the PTO clutch and fuel pump use the same ground on a Lazer. I had right at 12.5 volts DC on the power side of the pump when it was energized with the key on, engine off. But I also had fluctuating voltage of about .10 volts on the ground side of the pump :confused: Kinda wonder what the voltage across the ground would look like with the engine on and the blades on. After adding the second ground, it went to 0.00 volts. May be meaningless, dunno.

Cooper Landscaping
07-23-2003, 09:26 AM
Keith-

Did you ever sort out the problem with the 26 Efi or are you still having problems with it?

Thanks
-Coop

Keith
07-23-2003, 12:37 PM
Still having problems :dizzy: More info can be found here http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=49046

Cooper Landscaping
07-23-2003, 12:42 PM
Keith-
Sorry to hear about that. Is the dealer not willing to give you a Loaner?!?!?

Good Luck
-Coop

Gravely_Man
07-23-2003, 02:19 PM
Sorry to hear that is problem is still going on. Hopefully you have a loaner of a backup machine to use in the mean time.

Gravely_Man

Keith
07-23-2003, 06:34 PM
I still have my Kees 61" and I could get the Grasshopper back running if need be. Problem is, neither is on par with the Lazer. No one has offered a loaner and I doubt this dealer would even have one to let me use :rolleyes:

Cooper Landscaping
07-24-2003, 01:00 AM
Keith-
I assume you talked to Terry or Dustin at Exmark about the problem with the mower but did you address the problem with not being able to get a loaner with them? If not I suggest you do becuase they seem to be able to work magic sometimes :) or at least they might be able to help :D

-Coop

Keith
07-24-2003, 01:45 AM
Yeah I have been in contact with Dustin, but I did not bring up the "needing a loaner" deal. I'm not going to beg for one. If I felt I absolutely had to have a mower, I would just go buy another one. Call it ******ed logic :D I remember out of the ordinary things that people do but I try not to coax it out of them. If that makes any sense :)

Cooper Landscaping
07-24-2003, 06:10 AM
Keith-
Yeah it does make sense- it just sounded to me like you might be in a position where you might start falling behind. Wish I was in a position to just go out and buy another mower if mine broke :)

-Coop

Keith
07-24-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Cooper Landscaping
Wish I was in a position to just go out and buy another mower if mine broke :)

Coop, I wouldn't say I want to be in that position, but if need be I could go finance another one. Of course two of the other mowers would have to be sold off pretty quickly to make a dent in the amount owed on the new one ;) I would like to do that anyway, but didn't want to have to do it right now and certainly not before the other two were sold. But before risking losing lawns I would.

Spanky64
04-27-2004, 03:02 PM
I was having problems with my 26 efi walker--seemed to be loading up on fuel, smoking, poor power with blades engaged, missing at idle. The check engine light would come on and go off. Checked for trouble code and got the 34. To check for trouble codes, just turn the key on and off quickly 3 times, and on the third time leave the key on. You should always get a 61 code, if there are no other codes.
I called Kohler, and the following seemed to fix the problem. Scraped paint from under ground on frame, replaced the stainless steel ground connector that is located on the top starter bolt with a tin coated connector. Soldered this connection, not crimped. Problem seems to be fixed!! Yea!! I will update if the problem returns.

broken leg
04-27-2004, 03:22 PM
I have a walker with 40 hrs on it. It spent the last 7hrs in the shop. It seams to be running alright now but the check engine light comes on and goes off at times. It had the ground replaced along time ago but did not help. The last time in the shop they pulled the motor and said a sensor was out of line. Well I worked on efi at Chrysler dealers for 10 years and I am going to go and make sure it is properly grounded myself. please let me know of any up dates of this problem. I love my walker.

Jman
04-27-2004, 04:24 PM
Even if your engine had the ground repair done awhile ago, it may have a poor connector. They were using a stainless steel terminal which is not a good conductor of electricity. Change the terminal to your own tin coated copper terminal, crimp the terminal on and then finish by soldering it.

Spanky64
04-27-2004, 04:45 PM
I would make sure that the paint was scrapped off the frame where the ground wire from the battery is connected. Also verify that the ground terminal on the top wire of the starter has been replaced. It seems that these two things magically fixed my walker. Mine only has 28 hours on it.
Good luck

hoagie
04-27-2004, 11:11 PM
Another thing worth mentioning...

Be carefull when power washing near the cpu and main wiring harnesses... use low presure. Wires can partially weld and cause big probs down the line.

I have 2 26efi's and both run sweeeet.... 600 and 65hrs. Knock on wood.

broken leg
04-28-2004, 08:50 AM
I am going to check the wires myself today will let you know whate I find

Spanky64
04-28-2004, 09:00 AM
Great point on the pressure washing. My 26 EFI is still running perfectly. I had forgotten how well it ran and mowed. It must have been running poorly for longer than I realized. It is the difference between night and day. I was bagging 8" grass yesterday without any problems.

Luscious Lawns
04-28-2004, 09:12 AM
I have a 26 EFI on a Lazer which has given me these problems since new. After numerous trips to the shop and many days of downtime shop decided it was an oil temp. sending unit. They put it on and it ran fine for about 100 hours then the same thing again, back to the shop, seems it was the sending unit again. Thay replaced it again this time it seems to be working. But just in case I have a spare sending unit on the truck. You might want to try this the part is only about $30.

I'm a big fan of Kohler but they dropper the ball on their 26 EFI. I would not buy another one.

John Gamba
04-28-2004, 09:42 AM
I have had many fi lazers, the only problems with the 01 an older was a wet plug or moister. The 2002 with 320 hours runs great and have never been back to the dealer.
John

GrassFearsMe
04-29-2004, 12:40 AM
Should i not buy the 26efi and go with the diesel, cuz we are about to purchase one and you guys got me nervous.

AirCooled
05-05-2004, 04:07 PM
From what I've seen, the bugs seem to be out of 'em. I think they finally got it right with that copper ground eyelet. The old ground kit with the temp sender worked for a while but had the stainless eyelet. They tell me stainless has 2% of the conductivity of the zink plated copper eyelet. Just make sure to get a clean solder joint between the wire and the eyelet.

kory landscaping
05-05-2004, 08:50 PM
well, have taking my walker in the shop everyday this week, monday the power dump box brackets broke, tuesday the plastic shoot that goes to the blower got a hole in it from the driveshaft.Today (wednesday) the blades stop, will not spin. Dealer thinks it's the gear above the deck. I told him i want a new machine. Takes me 45 minutes each way to his shop and a 3/4 tank of gas.

John Gamba
05-06-2004, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by kory landscaping
well, have taking my walker in the shop everyday this week, monday the power dump box brackets broke, tuesday the plastic shoot that goes to the blower got a hole in it from the driveshaft.Today (wednesday) the blades stop, will not spin. Dealer thinks it's the gear above the deck. I told him i want a new machine. Takes me 45 minutes each way to his shop and a 3/4 tank of gas.

Good luck on new mower.
John

Ax Man
05-06-2004, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by kory landscaping

Sounds like you use it pretty rough.
I've been running mine for 3 seasons, and though I have wear marks on the chute, from crossing transitions, it is not worn through.
And a broken Gear?
torque your blade bolt too tight and the shear bolts don't do anything.
I don't have a power dump, so I can't say anything about that.
Best of luck with your dealer...

broken leg
05-06-2004, 09:10 AM
Sense I got it back the light came on a couple of times and that is all. I am going to have a power dump put on the 9.5 is to much for me to keep picking up with my leg the way it is. I was going to check the wires again but it stopped acting up so why mess with a good thing.

bergby7
05-08-2004, 02:26 AM
Go to the walker web site and searh in the archived walker news
edition. In the section s labled tech news or something like that
there are recalls listed. i do not recall the exact issue.Your issue sounds familar as a recall issue from that reading.

broken leg
05-08-2004, 08:34 AM
I spoke to soon the check engine light came on most of the day yesterday. I guess I did not knock on wood when I spoke earlyer. I will try and mess with it to day and see whate I can find.

AirCooled
05-10-2004, 12:34 PM
What code is showing?
To acess the fault codes, (with the engine "off") turn the key "on", "off", "on", "off", "on". The light should start blinking, pause and blink again. You need to count the number of flashes as two digit numbers. In other words, it may flash 3 times then pause and flash 1. That would be a code 31. Then it may flash 6 times then pause and flash 1. That would be code 61.
You should always get a 61 code at the end. That just means end of transmission or something.
When the engine is running and the light is "on" it means a code is currently causing a problem. If the light is "off" the code is stored but not currently causing a problem.

broken leg
05-11-2004, 01:05 PM
Just did codes 3,4,6,1 and chasse ground was not clean. Ground pant and sorded small ground and codes were the same

AirCooled
05-11-2004, 01:50 PM
Code 34 according to the Service book...
Explanation: Long term fuel adaption control is at the upper or lower limit.
Expected Engine Response: System operates "closed loop." No appreciable performance loss as long as temporary adaption can provide sufficient compensation.

I believe the computer makes adjustments based on the signal from the oxygen sensor (O2).
The O2 sensor operates between zero and 1 volt. That means changes in adaption to the system are determined by mili-volts. A poor ground (or one that has resistance) will send the wrong signal from the O2 sensor to the computer causing problems just like yours.

Make sure the ground eyelet on your wire harness is that new zink plated copper and that the wire has a clean solder joint. I'm pretty sure the eyelet is connected to the starter mounting bolt.

Kohler put out a bulletin on changing that ground eyelet from the stainless to copper and I've seen it work.

broken leg
05-11-2004, 03:39 PM
I will send you pictures of what I found tonight. You wont belive what I was told and what I found. Thanks AirCooled.