PDA

View Full Version : leaving ruts in the lawn

B&B LAWN
06-17-2003, 11:15 PM
i do mostly residential accounts and i run a 44" toro proline w/b. ive noticed that over the past 2 years on some of my lawns that small ruts are starting to form under the grass. do yall have any suggestions on what to do

ducky1
06-17-2003, 11:22 PM
We mow a different direction each time so we dont run in the same place every mow.

Doogiegh
06-17-2003, 11:25 PM
Even when I do in the exact same direction, which can get to be quite a pattern, especially if you're following a curb line or whatever, do this.

Go against the curb and make 1 pass, 1 mower width. On the return pass, over-lap by about 60% of the mower. Then when you turn around to go back in the same direction of the first pass, take a whole mower width and keep on mowing.. This way, you are actually "offset" or so by 1/2 a mower width throughout the entire property. So you can mow the SAME general pattern or way, but do it off by about 18 inches.. The wheels will travel in different spots physically - no ruts.
Gary

ducky1
06-18-2003, 10:56 PM
Good idea Doogiegh. I never thought of that. I will do that on one place that I mow that is very long and narrow.