PDA

View Full Version : John Deere Curb Apeal??

deere ZTR
06-18-2003, 12:34 AM
Lets face it everybody knows John Deere and every Joe Blow home owner in the world is more than likely going to think that John Deere is the greatest thing in the world because of all the hype that they create.
So my question is this how much of an advantage would it be to have a Deere on the trailer for the customer to look at instead of say and ex-mark that they more than likely have never heard of.

Also I'm considering a John Deere 797 with a Kawasaki liquid cooled fuel injected 29hp any thoughts on whether its worth it to spend the extra $$$ for the fuel injected or not??

DLCS
06-18-2003, 12:40 AM
I'm not sure it has anything to do with brand but alot of elderly people like to look at my ztr mower. I get alot of them that just like to check out the design of the ztr mowers. I think they are amazed at how fast you can mow with one. But, I don't think having one particular brand over another will make a difference.

NCSULandscaper
06-18-2003, 12:41 AM
I say the heck with john deere and just let people see the quality of work that you do with the mowers you have and forget about spending more money for green paint. I have had more peoplc ome up and talk about my Toro than others that run Deere. I personally dont think people really care.

tiedeman
06-18-2003, 12:43 AM
I feel that you will always run into a customer that says something like, "those mowers are worthless." or "I have had better luck with this brand." I still to this day have the old timers tell me what is good and bad about my machines even when they have never used them before or anything remotely similar to them.

deere ZTR
06-18-2003, 01:02 AM
I know that your work speaks for its self but still I wonder especially here in the heartland since Deere is dominant in the Field if it doesn't appeal to Joe Home owner as well? Yes every mower is going to be criticized by somebody know matter what the brand name.

Runner
06-18-2003, 02:10 AM
I happen to run Exmark and Gravely, but I can tell you that John Deere and Apple pie are about synonymous with one another. They both represent good American Quality, old fashion values, and are so well known for that. Now, with the new improvements made on the new Deere ZTR's, (except for the stamped deck they're still running), this is a winning, influential marketing value. I used to get teased alot by one of the dealers when I ran all Deere equipment awhile ago. He used to look out the window and say. "Boy, there's an awful lot of green out there!" all the while he was smiling. He sold Toro/wheelhorse and something else at the time. He knew I knew.....;)

Scag48
06-18-2003, 02:29 AM
Win your customers respect by the quality of your work, not by what equipment you're using. I'm not going to sell my Exmark or use anything else just because a few customers might think it's better to use a brand they've heard of. Not a bad marketing idea, but just not logical for most of us. JMO.

mower_babe
06-18-2003, 02:46 AM
I am in Deere country also, but I have to agree with Scag48 and NCSU. If you are doing a quality job, I highly doubt anyone will care about the brand that much. You will not get more work simply for running green. If so, what would stop a Chevy Man from not hiring you to mow his lawn if you showed up in a Dodge or a Ford? NOT GONNA HAPPEN. :dizzy:

Rustic Goat
06-18-2003, 02:48 AM
So long as your equipment doesn't look like you just rescued it from the landfill, threw some bailing wire on it, blowing its own mosquito protection cloud, dripping black goo all over their nice green grass, and louder than the jumbo jet that just went over, Brand of mower really doesn't influence any customers.

With the exception of showing up with a lawn tractor made by Sears, MTD, or the like, people just seem to know those are meant for the homeowner to use.

If you're worried about having JD snobs for clients, go buy some JD paint and make your mower look like one.

Business practices and quality of work are want counts to the type customer we all want.

Envy Lawn Service
06-18-2003, 03:08 AM
I've found what matters more than brand name is the curb appeal of your whole rig and the curb appeal you add to the properties you service.

Having a simple, nice looking, matching rig and uniforms get more attention than any brand name. I'm talking a setup somewhere between Sanford & Son Lawn Care and Millionaire Lawn Care.

I have a lot of people approach me at gas stations and such. You'll be surprised what you can learn from the prospect if you'll just listen and I mean really listen. Most people come right out and say in one form or another that the image of everything of mine is impressive, yet I don't appear unapproachable like some of the guys with shiny $40,000+ trucks, huge lettered up enclosed trailers and a crew of several parading into the store.

In addition, most prospects could care less what brand you use. To most a mower is a mower. The curb appeal they care about is the curb appeal when you drop the gate at their curb and how the place looks when you leave.

Most folks don't want a rust bucket sitting out in front of their house while a raggedy looking crew cuts their lawn.

I used to run John Deere and honestly I don't think the Deere's never attracted the first person. I had just as many people approach me on a lawn I was cutting with the Murray as I did the other way around. These people were attracted because the work looked good, not because of the brand mower I was on.

BSDeality
06-18-2003, 11:00 AM
JD is something consumers know/trust because they've been around forever. Just a few weeks ago i got a free JD 111 from 1984 w/ 32" deck and 8hp. I painted it up, repaired the deck, put on some new pulleys and sold the thing for $625!! to Joe Blow up-and-coming-business-man-who-doesn't-know-his-butt-from-a-mower.
I asked him why he wanted the JD and he said "well... i dunno, i guess its just a good brand." (this coming from a guy who doesn't know how to change his own oil ) It was a nice machine and cut the grass well when it wasn't too thick, but it was just too small to be useful around the house.

deere ZTR
06-18-2003, 12:14 PM
Amen Envy I to believe that curb appeal has to do with the entire rig and personal appearance. Also not to pick on any one type of mower or anything but some mowers like Dixie and ex-mark are not the most normal looking from a home owner point of view.

We have two mowing contractors around here that both have two or three commercial snapper ZTR's the one guy keeps a very clean truck trailer and all his mowers look new and he doesn't abuse them but he does use them. Other guy doesn't pay so much attention to his rig or how his mowers look or blades being sharp so his reputation comes in the door before he does as a result.

mikeshere89
06-18-2003, 03:41 PM
i was wondering when this post would come up, for me i live where they make John Deere, moline illinois. combines that is and alot of my customers are big wigs at JD but i dont give a rats *** about who they are to me my exmarks are twice the machines JD puts out and if they have a problem with it then they can find some chump who uses JD but good luck cause i havent seen any.Like everyone else has said its the work you do not what you do it with.

grassdaddy
06-18-2003, 04:01 PM
How much is the 797??

deere ZTR
06-18-2003, 04:21 PM
GrassDaddy the 797 with a sixty inch deck with the fuel injected liquid cooled kawaski stickers for $11,900. I simply asked a couple local Deere dealers what their bottom dollar was and they said right around $10,000 after tax I never tried to talk them down any farther but I'm sure they will go more. The 797 is only available with that motor its a 29hp but you can go down a model to a carbureted 27hp with a 60incher I could be wrong but I think thats the 747 or 757 but they quote it as being down around $8,500-$9,000 they say that the 29hp fuel injected burns .08 gal. an hour and the 27hp carburetor burns 1.3 gal.

What do you think??

mike9497
06-18-2003, 05:07 PM
funny that a saw this thread today.i was out the other day mowing and another company was mowing a house next to the one i was doing.well as i was mowing i noticed a few people around my trailer which had a mower on it.just checking it out yah know.well after i was done the owner of the house next to the one i was serving said he would like me to take over mowing his lawn.he said the JD stuff the guy was using did a crappy job.now the other company has been around for years and they use all JD stuff now.not saying JD is bad but exmarks scags and bobcats just cut better i feel.i had all three brands but i found exmark to be the best for my lawns.almost everyday someone will come over to the truck and say wow those are some really nice mowers.no bull happens at least once a day.but i feel if you keep your equipment and yourself looking good.you should have no probs getting work.

11,000??? for a 60 inch rider.no way in hell would i ever pay that.my exmark Z 60s were between 8 and 9 grand.picking up a new ZTR next week for 8490.but if you like JD stuff then i guess thats a good price

thartz
06-18-2003, 09:05 PM
I can say this;since we put a Wright Sentar on the trailer a lot more people ( lco's and people in general) stop and ask questions.It is a unique looking machine.I did pick up one client because we run Toro.His first comment was the golf course where he plays uses Toro so he felt it was good equipment.

mottster
06-18-2003, 10:36 PM
Have two crews next to each other. One has a '00 White Ford F250 Superduty XLT Quadcab pulling a shiney black 20' open trailer...all metal. The workers are wearing uniform shirts, hats and are acting appropriately. Their equipment is not name brand or known to the average home-owner and their trimmers aren't in the best shape...you can tell they've been used.

The second crew is wearing cut off shorts with stained, sleevelss shirts...none are matching just bumming around cussing, smoking and horsing around...whistling as the girls walk by. Their truck is an old beat up Ford (sorry...i'm a chevy guy heh) with plywood sides on the back with trash bags piled in the back. The trailer is run down, rusty with more plywood sides. But in the trailer they have 2 really nice Walkers (considered luxury around here) and brand new shiney trimmers.

Now...who would you want to mow your yard if you saw them driving down the street?

But what do you do when the run-down crew does a better job then the professional crew? There's gotta be a balance somewhere in there. Every company can get away with a different balance and each area in the country has different views.

Here in Wichita, Walkers are prime mowers to have. You see the large plastic Grass catcher and thats a sign to "us country folk" that the crew running that machinery is good. But if they do a shitty job then it doesn't matter.

BTW...the first crew is what the crew i run in is built like...cept we have walkers and a nice husqvarna and redmax trimmers.

We have an 84 and an 87 F250 with diesels in them but when they're pulling around 16" wood sided trailers with the old bunton and three snapper 21" push mowers they don't get nearly the attention...thats when people pay attention to your work more.

Husker1982
06-18-2003, 11:47 PM
I run all Deere equipment. It looks sharp but also took alot of work to make things match. I have a good image both with my equipment and with my work. (Deere ZTR) I have a 797 and it is a great machine. the 27hp is a 777 and is also a great machine. I have all Deere equipment and I am very satisfied with the machines and the results of them.

cntryboymc
06-18-2003, 11:57 PM
i have a decent looking trailer,truck, and equipment for a part time operation.i have a 2003 jd z track 737,it does get a lot of looks from people but i dont think that is as important as a job well done.this machine is comfortable and easy to operate but doesnt cut near as well as other makes that ive seen.

mower_babe
06-19-2003, 01:17 AM
Mikeshere89 and Mike9497 -

We started out with all Deere equipment - 110, 111, 400 and then progressed to the 455. It sucks. It sucked when it was brand new. It is a good tractor, but I do not like the way it mows. Now we use the eXmarks and only use the 455 for tractor applications. Exmarks give a far superior cut and throw sooo far.

If I could dump that Deere and not lose all my $ - I would.

The only good thing that we have found that Deere makes is their push mowers, esp. JX75.

DLCS
06-19-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by mower_babe
Mikeshere89 and Mike9497 -

We started out with all Deere equipment - 110, 111, 400 and then progressed to the 455. It sucks. It sucked when it was brand new. It is a good tractor, but I do not like the way it mows. Now we use the eXmarks and only use the 455 for tractor applications. Exmarks give a far superior cut and throw sooo far.

If I could dump that Deere and not lose all my $ - I would.

The only good thing that we have found that Deere makes is their push mowers, esp. JX75.

Have you tried any of JD's commercial equipment? How can you compare JD's homeowner equipment to Exmark?

mower_babe
06-19-2003, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by DLCS
Have you tried any of JD's commercial equipment? How can you compare JD's homeowner equipment to Exmark?

Hello again DLCS,

SINCE YOU ARE ASKING, I have had MANY opportunities to try their commercial line, due to the fact that I had so much downtime with my 455. I tested out JD and ghopper, etc. and I still am happier with my eXmark. I also feel the jd line of zturns do not compare to the feel of the exmark. Maybe owning eXmarks have SPOILED me.

Since we are on the subject, I also strongly feel that one pays "Deerely" for the paint. Pun intended.

The next time I have an extra $10K laying around, I will spend it more wisely. I am glad that you have found success with Deeres, like I said before - I have found nothing better for a push mower.

Now a q? for you. Have you tried eXmarks or the like? If so, what did YOU think?

DLCS
06-19-2003, 02:39 AM
Yes, I have tried Exmark, they are a great mower. But where is the closest dealer? I think the closest that i found is Rochelle, 45 minutes away. I don't want to have to drive that far if I need parts.

DLCS
06-19-2003, 02:41 AM
Oh and by the way, JD ztrs are not all 10 grand. I don't pay any more for green than I would for red.

mower_babe
06-19-2003, 02:41 AM
DLCS - YOU WON'T NEED PARTS...WE ARE TALKING ABOUT EXMARKS, not deeres. :D

DLCS
06-19-2003, 02:43 AM
My 757 hasn't been in the shop yet.:D Where do you buy your Exmarks?

WPLE
06-19-2003, 02:45 AM
Everyone is entitled to there opinion but I have been pleased with all of my JD mowers. Well built, long lasting, hard working equipment. I will garrantee that my 737 will be cutting much longer than your exmark. That is why we pay more money, not because of the freakin green paint.:angry:

mower_babe
06-19-2003, 02:45 AM
Oh and by the way, JD ztrs are not all 10 grand. I don't pay any more for green than I would for red.

As far as the $10K, we were speaking of my poor purchase of the 455.

Please do not think that I am trying to convert you from green to red. I am quite happy when I do not see red on my competitors trailer.

DLCS
06-19-2003, 02:47 AM
Why does everyone say green costs more. I find they are all comparable. Actually, I think Dixie Choppers cost more at least thats how it was when we had a DC dealer here.

DLCS
06-19-2003, 02:48 AM
Mowerbabe,

Where do you buy your Exmarks?

mower_babe
06-19-2003, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by WPLE
Everyone is entitled to there opinion but I have been pleased with all of my JD mowers. Well built, long lasting, hard working equipment. I will garrantee that my 737 will be cutting much longer than your exmark. That is why we pay more money, not because of the freakin green paint.:angry:

WPLE - ok. you can like your green. I didn't say that you couldn't like them.

Envy Lawn Service
06-19-2003, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by deere ZTR
Amen Envy I to believe that curb appeal has to do with the entire rig and personal appearance. Also not to pick on any one type of mower or anything but some mowers like Dixie and ex-mark are not the most normal looking from a home owner point of view.

We have two mowing contractors around here that both have two or three commercial snapper ZTR's the one guy keeps a very clean truck trailer and all his mowers look new and he doesn't abuse them but he does use them. Other guy doesn't pay so much attention to his rig or how his mowers look or blades being sharp so his reputation comes in the door before he does as a result.

I must say I appreciate your view and I'm glad you appreciate mine. I also have to agree with you about the homeowners point of view. Frankly, around here most homeowners associate any non-tractor style mower with a bushog. "That thang looks like a ride-on bushog!" that kind of thing.

For those that are familiar with Z's, to them anything red is a Toro. I don't know how many times I've been asked "hey what is that, a new Toro?" because it's red and a bit different in design. I get the same response down in Gravely country too.

Around here the only known brands are Toro, John Deere, Cub and Gravely because they have been around in numbers for years. Husqvarna is beginning to be recognized buy association of the orange color and the slew of people who own their chainsaws.

Dixie, Exmark, Ferris, Grasshopper, Great Dane, Hustler, Lesco, Scag, Walker, Yazoo/Kees....forget it....they are totally in the dark.... "ain't Hustler one o'them nudy books?"

:D :D ;)

mower_babe
06-19-2003, 02:51 AM
DLCS,

I haven't had to purchase one in awhile, but there are several dealers w.in close proximity. You could probably find more info above on the eXmark link.

DLCS
06-19-2003, 02:53 AM
Yeh, I know where my closest dealer is located. I just was curious where you were buying your exmarks from is all. You don't remember where you bought them?

mower_babe
06-19-2003, 02:54 AM
Why does everyone say green costs more. I find they are all comparable. Actually, I think Dixie Choppers cost more at least thats how it was when we had a DC dealer here.

Lets set aside initial investment.

I find that parts are killer.

$25/ per wheel for pushmowers X 4 / about once a year/mower.

YIKES.

mower_babe
06-19-2003, 03:00 AM
Yeh, I know where my closest dealer is located. I just was curious where you were buying your exmarks from is all. You don't remember where you bought them?

Since you are obviously intersted in trading in your fleet 'o green, you can call down to Davenport, IA. Rexco is now dealing eXmarks, I heard the other day. FYI

Do you need the number tooo?? ;)

DLCS
06-19-2003, 03:04 AM
No, see that just proved my point. Exmark dealers around here are so far and few between, Davenport is even further than Rochelle. If Rexco just started selling Exmark where did you get yours?:) I am a firm believer in supporting the market that you work in, thats why I buy local.:)

mower_babe
06-19-2003, 03:13 AM
DLCS - Davenport is closer. Further more, I do not purchase most of my eXmark parts from the dealer. Unlike, Deere tires, I am able to get the stuff for the eXmark elsewhere, cheaper, same quality. As far as the local angle of yours - You know the town that I live in and if I want to get anything other than a gallon of milk - I have to travel. I buy local, but as far as I last knew, Caseys General store did not sell lawn mowers.

DLCS
06-19-2003, 03:20 AM
Don't get me wrong here, I'm not slamming you. I'm just stating why I purchase Deere equipment. I'm not only very happy with JD mowers but I like the service and how close the dealer is to me. :)

mower_babe
06-19-2003, 03:27 AM
DLCS - no offense taken. We are friendly here right?:angel:

But seriously, If you want to talk about JD service no one is better than "Wayne." He is the best mechanic on anything. there. THE BEST, bar none.

I will be purchasing 2 more pm from them in the fall to replace my 1 year old hondas.

DLCS
06-19-2003, 03:34 AM
DLCS - no offense taken. We are friendly here right?:angel:

But seriously, If you want to talk about JD service no one is better than "Wayne." He is the best mechanic on anything. I bring my Echo equipment there. THE BEST, bar none.

I willbe purchasing 2 more pm from them in the fall to replace my 1 year old hondas.

Yep, I'm friendly.

Yeh, Wayne is a good mechanic. I haven't had to have him repair any of my equipment yet though. I have JD remember.:D I only use one 21"er and its a LawnBoy.:)

mower_babe
06-19-2003, 03:36 AM
Blade clutches,etc. on the pm. Overuse probably. Is it a newer lawn boy? I have actually heard quite a few good things about lawn boy pushers.

Envy Lawn Service
06-19-2003, 03:38 AM
Don't get me wrong here, I'm not slamming you. I'm just stating why I purchase Deere equipment. I'm not only very happy with JD mowers but I like the service and how close the dealer is to me. :)

I can appreciate your view on supporting the locals. The economy is suffering bad here, so I try to spend every dime I can here locally and at family owned businesses too if possible.

I'm lucky that I'm happy with my equipment that I purchased locally at a family owned and operated business which is only a few minutes away from my house. Closest dealer on the map!

But... I wouldn't even consider running a mower I wasn't happy with just because I could get it local or because parts were close or the service was good. Screw everything else, I'd rather be happy with my equipment.

Think about it... I can't imagine it... You are on your mower using it to make a living every day. That's every day! Now how often will you need parts or service? Hopefully not every day! Plus if you need a part, usually it can be shipped and you have it the next morning.

Just a thought for you to kick around there.... and don't go to your wife blaming me when she gets mad about that new mower you decide to buy :D

Envy Lawn Service
06-19-2003, 03:41 AM
I will be purchasing 2 more pm from them in the fall to replace my 1 year old hondas.

Problems with the Hondas? If so what model #'s?

mower_babe
06-19-2003, 03:41 AM
Atta-Boy.;)

excellent point.

DLCS
06-19-2003, 03:45 AM

Envy,

Reread my post. I said I am very happy with Deere.:)

mower_babe
06-19-2003, 09:11 AM
Envy,

Honda Harmony HRB216. Was turned on to them by a local LCO, that we are friends with. He uses that model exclusively. They do not cut well if it is damp or long. Stragglers aplenty. They do really well in the fall, so for like 4 weeks we are very happy with them. Cheaper for initial investment and parts, and much lighter

65hoss
06-19-2003, 09:26 AM
I get the best of both worlds. Since JD dealers are known to be the best in service, a local JD dealer is now an eXmark dealer also.

When people are there looking at them side by side, he is selling a huge amount of eXmarks over the deeres. I'm not going to tell how many, but I will say it is alot of eXmarks over deeres.

I even like green paint. Just not on mowers. There is a nice compact JD tractor down there I am seriously thinking about.

MDMowing
06-19-2003, 09:28 AM
Peronalaly, We use mostly JD equipment. I have used other brands, ie; Sears, Murry, Dynomark, light weight junk mostly. And I must say that it doesn't matter what brand you run, it's about the quality of service you can give to your customers.

Nice equipment, and being in uniform and presenting yourself and your company says a lot too. We do have matching uniform shirts, and do use JD equipment. I personaly prefere my JD. I know most of you out there like your Z turn mowers. Thats ok. To each his own. I like my JD. Sure paid a little more for it, but to me it was worth it. Joe Blow the customer doesn't care though. He just wants his yard to look nice when we're finished.

So What is curb apeal? To me, doing a nice job, and making your customer satisfied. After all whats nicer to hear from your customer... "Nice equipment?" or "Great Job on the yard, looks great?"

Just yesterday I had one of our elderly customers stop by the office to pay. She was very pleased with the yard and said the trimming was wonderful and the whole yard looked great. That to me says we have good "curb appeal". Didn't matter to her if we used JD, or SCAG, or some junk machine. She just wanted it to look nice.

:)

( Personaly. My Opinion Only! "Nothing runs like a Deere."

Tx Firefighter
06-19-2003, 09:56 AM
I've been needing a new 21 inch mower for awhile. My Snapper isn't real snappy anymore. I'd narrowed it down to either a JD JX75 or a Toro Proline. Yesterday, I went to my local JD dealer, he's close and the JX75 price for $775 is pretty good. So the salesman and I are standing around talking while the parts man tries to find the metal wheels for the JX75......

I'm looking at their new ZTRs in the front lot. We're talking about them, and I commented to the sales guy that the price was a full $2000 dollars higher than a comparable Scag. He said, "Well the JD had a 7 guage deck on it." I told him that the Scag also has a 7 guage deck on theirs. His comeback, was "SCAG SUCKS!". If the guy would have noticed the orange machine on my trailer outside, he probably wouldn't have said that.

I walked away, leaving him standing. I went to the dealer who sold me my Scag and bought a Toro Proline 2 stroke. At least he has enough class to not ridicule any other dealer's equipment.

My JD dealer is so arrogant, that he thinks nothing else compares to his equipment. I know I can't deal with someone who has that attitude. That is a shame, because I was about to lay down about $950 for a JX75 with metal wheels and oil filter added on.

By the way, that 2 stroke Toro leaves me speachless at the way it mulches. It's like it vaporizes the grass. Worth every penny ($915).

Husker1982
06-19-2003, 06:20 PM
(Mower babe) I have switched from all Exmark to Deere. Exmarks are good machines. IMHAVTO Deere is a lot better. Plus I bleed green.

mower_babe
06-19-2003, 07:17 PM
TX - is the toro proline pmower rear discharge or back? You have piqued my interest.

Husker - honestly, that is the first time I have ever heard of switching form eXmark to Deere, usually you hear of the reverse. When you switched to Deere, did you go the tractor style or ztr? What do you like about them better than the eXmark?

ps - that green blood thing...you might want to see someone about that. that can't be good.:alien:

Husker1982
06-19-2003, 08:00 PM
(mower babe) I use ZTR's. Great machines. I think they got a bad rep for ZT's cause of the 600 series that was made by yazoo/keyes. The 600 series I did not like. On the other hand the new 700 series is great IMO. I also use to use Redmax equipment for trimmers, blowers, and edgers and switched to JD.

p.s. the bleeding green thing is wonderful

Zattpazz
06-19-2003, 09:23 PM
I agree with Scag48. The quality of your work is more important that the name of your equipment.
ZATTPAZZ

deere ZTR
06-19-2003, 09:56 PM
Husker what things inparticular do you like better about the Deere rather than the Exmark? Also what model exmark and what model Deere? I'm going to purchase one or the other in Feb. Havent done a demo of either but those are my main two choices just would like to year and opinion of somebody who has gone from ex to deere.

Husker1982
06-19-2003, 10:29 PM
(Deere ZTR)
I will compare for you the (797 Liquid cooled, DFI, 29hp) to the (Exmark Lazer EPS, EFI, 26hp) since you have shown interest in the 797. I HAVE owned both. The JD is a smoother ride for comfort. The JD has an easier adjustment for height. The cut of my JD's including my 757's that have 25hp and are air cooled are alot smoother. The exmark lays a lot of grass down and gets really bad the higher you go when at full speed. The JD's stamped deck gets **** on alot but I think it is great. I cuts through tall grass better as well as wet grass better than any fab deck I have seen. These are what I get for results, but to satisfy you, you should go demo both. I myself like I said before have owned both and have ran them side by side and well lets just say I have no more red. So take it for what it is worth. Good Luck.

Movinfr8
06-20-2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Rustic Goat
So long as your equipment doesn't look like you just rescued it from the landfill, threw some bailing wire on it, blowing its own mosquito protection cloud, dripping black goo all over their nice green grass, and louder than the jumbo jet that just went over, Brand of mower really doesn't influence any customers.

With the exception of showing up with a lawn tractor made by Sears, MTD, or the like, people just seem to know those are meant for the homeowner to use.

Hey... You been snooping around my trailer, Rustic?!?!

Brieldo
06-20-2003, 02:28 AM
How about this, however...the 7 iron deck cuts clippings and just tosses them...the eXmark deck rechops everything so that when the clippings leave the deck, you can hardly see them... Also, I'll never own a stamped deck. They fatigue much sooner than a fabricated deck, regardless of what JD says. I owned 2 JD mowers and I will never go back...horrible service, poor engineering and a corporate monster who doesnt care about an LCO any more than getting the 10k out of them and getting them out the door. When I can call John Deere and talk to an engineer that designed my mower, like i can with eXmark, maybe then i'll go back....

BUT THAT'LL NEVER HAPPEN...I bleed red.

Envy Lawn Service
06-22-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Husker1982
(mower babe) I use ZTR's. Great machines. I think they got a bad rep for ZT's cause of the 600 series that was made by yazoo/keyes. The 600 series I did not like. On the other hand the new 700 series is great IMO. I also use to use Redmax equipment for trimmers, blowers, and edgers and switched to JD.

p.s. the bleeding green thing is wonderful

Well, this may well be the case about the 600's. But I'm here to tell you, as one who knows, that it's JD's own fault!!! There is nothing wrong with the Yazoo/Kees built part.

It's every stinking part that John Deere put on the dang thing. Deck, gas tanks, tires/wheels, seat ect....

As some would say a Frankenscagexmarkyazoodeere design nightmare!!!!!

Yazoo has 3 different frames, the Mini ZT Max, the Max2 and the ZT Max. The Deere was built on the ZT Max frame. I took both out for a demo. The red one was fine, the green and yellow one...well let's just say that's a different story. The ZT Max suffered from NONE of the issues the Deere did.

DLCS
06-22-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service
Well, this may well be the case about the 600's. But I'm here to tell you, as one who knows, that it's JD's own fault!!! There is nothing wrong with the Yazoo/Kees built part.

It's every stinking part that John Deere put on the dang thing. Deck, gas tanks, tires/wheels, seat ect....

As some would say a Frankenscagexmarkyazoodeere design nightmare!!!!!

Yazoo has 3 different frames, the Mini ZT Max, the Max2 and the ZT Max. The Deere was built on the ZT Max frame. I took both out for a demo. The red one was fine, the green and yellow one...well let's just say that's a different story. The ZT Max suffered from NONE of the issues the Deere did.

It wasn't the cut that I didn't like about the 600 series JD ztr. My biggest problem with them is I don't like the deck adjustment. The 700 series JD have a dial height adjustment just too slick.:) Envy, I was wondering when you was going to defend Yazoo after Husker made the comment about the 600 series JD. lol

Envy Lawn Service
06-22-2003, 02:18 AM
:) Envy, I was wondering when you was going to defend Yazoo after Husker made the comment about the 600 series JD. lol

Yeah, but don't forget I'll defend John Deere on some issues too. The strength of the 7 Iron deck v/s other stamped decks or welded decks.

Being an owner of John Deere and having owned some other John Deere stuff, I will say this without going into a lot of detail.....

My experience has bee, you pay Deerely when you buy one, you pay Deerely for parts, you pay Deerely for service and you pay Deerely for regular maintenance items. The product is built sturdy, will take abuse and will last a long time if maintained. The fit and finish is good. But generally, John Deere does a poor job at performing the task it was built for.

Bottom line is you will usually pay much more in many ways for a Deere when you could have gotten out cheaper and gotten something that does the job better to boot!

The #1 thing I want to know since this is a commercial mowing forum.... How the heck do you guys get a decent cut out of the commercial deck? The #2 thing is where in the heck are the mowing pictures to prove they cut well? I haven't seen one, nor have I seen 1 cutting well in the field, including the one I demoed.

Pecker
06-22-2003, 01:28 PM
I use all Deere - bought my 757 last year and it has been nothing but a blessing. All my portables are Deere too - very balanced and powerful. Nothing wrong with the others - Exmark is my second choice - but I value quality of cut, durability, comfort, and knowing I am using the best equipment money can buy (the Mercedes in the world of LCO). You can't go wrong when you go with the finest.
P.S. When I leave a lawn, it looks like green velvet carpet.

Grassmechanic
06-22-2003, 02:17 PM
Back in the mid 80's, Deere was just breaking in to the golf course equipment business. The local Deere dealer brought a trailer-full of equipment for me to test for him, hoping that I would buy it. I told him I would test it in the morning. The fairway mower wouldn't even cut a par 4 fairway without breaking down. I promptly called him back and told him to pick up his equipment. Then, in the late 90's, I bought 2 6x4 Gators. Biggest mistake I made. I was always fixing/repairing/adjusting them. I was hoping JD learned a few things since the 80's, but my experience with them, is that they copy equipment from other manufacturers who have been in the business much longer. My feeling is that JD should stick with what it knows best - farm equipment.

Mike

carlsmower
06-22-2003, 06:34 PM
deere ztr,
How much is deere paying you to try to convince us to turn green, how absolutely lame. Keep trying but there is no reason to run deere until there products are up to par with Exmark. Most consumers are well aware that most lawncare proffesionals are not running green, they see red the may not know the brand but the know there not deere's.

Husker1982
06-22-2003, 07:58 PM
Carl I have 2 full time crews going and I had all Exmark equipment, and have now switched to JD. I out performs my Exmarks in every thing imaginable. I am not trying to argue with you but IMO JD is much better. I like exmark myself but for me JD is the one up to par.

Envy Lawn Service
06-22-2003, 11:15 PM
The #1 thing I want to know since this is a commercial mowing forum.... How the heck do you guys get a decent cut out of the commercial deck? The #2 thing is where in the heck are the mowing pictures to prove they cut well? I haven't seen one, nor have I seen 1 cutting well in the field, including the one I demoed.

Still ZERO answers to #1 or #2.

deere ZTR
06-22-2003, 11:35 PM
CarlsMower I'm not trying to convince anybody of anything and how you got that idea is beyond me maybe reading comprehension needs a little work. Envy I'll try to get you some pics of a couple Deere cut lawns. I did not cut them I'm not even mowing this year. I just asked this question just to see what people thought. The lawns that I will try to get pics of look good but I will warn you ahead of time we have had a pretty good dry spell so they don't look lush spring green but you will still get the point and by the way I'm not saying they are the best mower on the market or that they are better than exmark or anything like that I'm just saying that the ones that I'm referring to are cut nice.

DLCS
06-22-2003, 11:55 PM
Still ZERO answers to #1 or #2.

Envy,

If you do a search there is some pics of lawns that are mowed with a 7 Iron deck.

Envy Lawn Service
06-23-2003, 03:41 AM
DLCS,

I did a few searches and came up with nothing.

Come on guys, get me some pictures here!

mower_babe
06-23-2003, 10:30 AM
Envy, I looked also....NOTHING.

DLCS
06-23-2003, 03:19 PM
Well Mower baby, how about since your so close to me, 10 miles away. Maybe I could just give you some of the addresses that I mow so you can see for yourself. But in turn you must show me some of the properties that you mow with your 4 Exmark lazers and 1 Exmark walkbehind. Do you remember yet, where you bought them? How about that just PM me and let me know.:)

mower_babe
06-23-2003, 03:36 PM
DLCS -

firstly, if I was interested enough to see what you and Deere had to offer - I would have pmd you. I am just simply agreeing with envy - for as prominent as you make it sound - it is sure hard to find properties mowed w Deeres lately. Just an observation - not an accusation.

secondly, your math skills need a bit of work - I don't recall ever divulging how many lazers I had - as far as I am aware - I do not own 4 - Is that Sterling Math?!?

thirdly, your persistant interest in Lazers is getting the best of you. Just go there and buy one - no one will make fun of you for eating crow.

and lastly -please work on your English - SWEET CHEEKS- It is "mower babe" not baby - don't flatter yourself.

ps-instead of giving just little old me - pixs of your properties, why don't you share them with the whole class so we all can appreciate the current advantages that Deere has to offer over eXmark. did you notice no one is asking for pixs of lazer properties as there are plenty on here - if you need some ask John Gamba - he has some excellent pixs. I am pretty sure that he would be more than willing to enlighten you. ;)

Grassmechanic
06-23-2003, 03:45 PM
That's tellin' em:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

DLCS
06-23-2003, 03:50 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42285&pagenumber=1

Here ya go. ROFLMAO:D

mower_babe
06-23-2003, 06:08 PM
AND??? How does that apply?

DLCS, I know that the words "four" and a "few" look a lot alike, it seems to me that someone needs to work on their reading comprehension. I did not read where I said "I OWN FOUR EXMARK LAZERS"

Further more, if you have nothing better to do than to analyze my equipment list from back in March, maybe I should look into giving you some leads on potential work, apparently you have that much idle time.

;) NOW - go mow!! ;) :D

heybruck34
06-23-2003, 06:41 PM
I can't stand Deere. They are not the best built machines on the market anymore and their parts are all proprietary. You can't go into any dealer and buy parts except for the engine. And even then they "try" to tell you that you have to buy that from them. The engine THEY tried to sell me was 800 because "it's the correct engine..." I bought a 15 horse instead of 13 that they wanted to sell me for 550. If fit perfectly in about 1-2 hours. Their parts cost twice as much as comparable brands and they don't last twice as long.

With Scag and the others you can go OEM or you can at least buy aftermarket, your choice. With Deere it's Deere parts.

Just my opinion based on the two walk behinds I currently own. Deere 36 and Scag 48.

DLCS
06-23-2003, 06:41 PM
Nope, I have plenty of work but thanks anyway.:)

Husker1982
06-25-2003, 07:08 PM
I will get some pics for you all give me a day or two. Thanks

David Haggerty
06-25-2003, 10:25 PM
The only piece of Deere equipment I ever owned.
It's an edger. I brought it to the jobsite after the Lowes' edger they supplied me just folded up.
The maintenance supervisor wanted to know just what kind of edger I had for commercial use.
He looked at it and said "humm..John Deere might have known."
I didn't bother telling im that it was all metric, and probably came from the Neatherlands.:rolleyes:

Dave

Husker1982
06-25-2003, 10:29 PM
What model edger was it?

David Haggerty
06-25-2003, 10:38 PM
It has a curb hopping wheel operated from the handle.
Plus it has a little 3 hp Kaw flat head engine.
It works really well and I like it.
Probably put a couple of miles a week on it.:D
I could post a pic of it tomorrow. It's dark now.

Dave

Grassmechanic
06-25-2003, 11:25 PM
What model edger was it?

Probably the E-35.

Mike

Envy Lawn Service
06-26-2003, 12:13 AM
I will get some pics for you all give me a day or two. Thanks

Thanks, I'd appreciate that. Also, what do you do to get a good cut? I have seen alright carpet cuts from the JD lawn tractor decks, but never anything acceptable from the commercial deck. This includes the new 700 series. There is one that I see almost daily now.

Not bashing, just an honest question.

deere ZTR
06-30-2003, 09:02 PM
Here it is mowed with a 7 iron deck on a lawn tractor by joe home owner. He just got rid of his out front deck deere looked much better in my opinion. Lets here those replys

deere ZTR
06-30-2003, 09:05 PM
All it needs is a stripe!

DLCS
06-30-2003, 11:55 PM
Here it is mowed with a 7 iron deck on a lawn tractor by joe home owner. He just got rid of his out front deck deere looked much better in my opinion. Lets here those replys

I'm confused, what JD lawn tractor has a 7Iron deck?:confused:

Envy Lawn Service
07-01-2003, 12:33 AM
I'm confused, what JD lawn tractor has a 7Iron deck?:confused:

None of them do :rolleyes:

Pecker
07-01-2003, 11:30 AM
That looks great! Keep up the good work. And always use a Deere!

mower_babe
07-01-2003, 06:31 PM
really?:confused:

mklawnman
07-01-2003, 09:27 PM
Its hard to say if Deere has a curb appeal or not? IN this area its not a big Deere country for commercial mowin companies, more or less seems its a Scag, Toro, Exmark area even though they build homeowners machines just 45min NW of where I live. We used to always buy Deere, for our own home and when we got started into the business. But then as I was shopping 3yrs ago for a ZTR I talked with a Deere salesman, and he admitted that Scags ZTRs are better than the Deeres, just cause they also sold those as well. THe price is the other thing, Deere has been up there in price on almost every piece of mowing equpiment they make, "Deere Markup"
I think it all matters on the quality of work you do cause anyone could go out and buy a big name commercial machine and do **** jobs that look like a homeowner cut it. Deere is just one big name brand that most homeowners reconize. Dont think it will help you get more customers cause you use Deere products, price and quality is what sells. I've had alot of people look my way when cutting with my Turf Tiger just cause they've never seen a ZTR before or my Scag WB. They are usually surprised how fast we can cut their lawn, but they usually know that the stuff we use is commerical equipment.
THe lawn it self is the curb appeal not the mower that cuts it or how your trailer looks, considering mine right now has 2' painted plywood sides on it to hold mulch as well as hauling my mowers around, but only for another week when my enclosed trailer arrives:D
Matt

mklawnman
07-01-2003, 09:30 PM
O by the way Deere only has the 7-Iron deck on the commercial mowers such as the front deck machines and ZTRs and the Stand on one, not WB yet.
Homeowner mowers have the regular deck as usuall, with their "Edge" cutting system:rolleyes:
Yeah all that lawn needs is some stripes and it would look even more eye popping, but the lawn looks fine and is cut level from the pic anyways for a homeowners cutting.
Matt

deere ZTR
07-02-2003, 01:38 AM
Sorry guys you are right it is not a seven iron. I was thinking about the Z's when I was typeing that. It was actualy cut by an X495 Tractor with like a 54 inch deck. Not sure about the deck size though?

Envy Lawn Service
07-03-2003, 02:11 AM
It was actualy cut by an X495 Tractor with like a 54 inch deck.

Now that's a nice little tractor and that deck will stripe a little in cool season grass, if it's used correctly. All of the Deere lawn tractor decks leave a pretty darn good cut if adjusted and well maintained. In fact I think Deere would be as well off to beef the edges up on them and try them on the commercial mowers.

Toro does it, JD should be able to get away with it too!!!

deere ZTR
07-03-2003, 02:14 AM
The people that own and mow this yard just got rid of their out front deck Deere Man that thing laid down a cut twice as good as this one:rolleyes: . I wouldnt have a problem with Deere trying that deck on commercial.