PDA

View Full Version : Demo Super Z- what a SOLID piece of.......read!

MOW ED
06-18-2003, 08:15 AM
GOLD

Man what a machine. I was like a little kid with a new toy. The dealer dropped it off and said that their policy is 4 hours free and 19.50/hr after that. I had 17 lawns to mow and some were very small so I saved my time for the good lawns and used my Walker on the 3 small lawns. I still have about 15 minutes left.

I don't want to seem too excited but in my opinion, on my lawns I cannot compare this machine to Scag, Yazoo Kees, Ferris or Walker. As a matter of fact, I actually am not liking my Walker for the flat out lawns that I do. It is pitifully slow compared to the Super Z. It still is gonna be on my trailer because it does my hills like no other but for the flats I have to be faster.
Quality of cut was good. I had stock blades on the thing and it threw grass well. This demo had a 24 Honda which is my last chioce. The Honda loped and didn't have enough snot to run the machine at its potential until it wound up. It also backfired when I shut it off no matter if I shut it off in full throttle, half throttle or turtle throttle. I am very excited about the 28EFI thats promised in August.
It is built like a tank. The responsiveness and feel of the controls are like silk. It handles bumps well. It climbs some of my smaller hills well. I like the deck control and the ease of service on the machine. Great trim edge to the left, you can actually see it without bendin your noggin over the gas tank.

Now for all you Exmark guys. I haven't had the chance to put one to the test. That is Thursday. I am getting a 60 Lazer EPS. Dunno if its a 26 or 28 but you can be sure I will write another review after that. I will tell you now that I was a juror in a big trial once and I am not influenced before I ZEE the facts. Everyone is saying how the Lazer cuts and I am gonna give it a chance. Its got some big boots to fill if its gonna beat the Super Z.

mowerconsultant
06-18-2003, 09:19 AM
Wait to you get the 28 EFI on this unit.
I had the opportunity to use the prototype 28 EFI last month at the factory, and it is AWESOME !!!
Right now my main demo mower is a 27 Kohler and it is great to, but that 28 EFI is a bit more responsive, and no choke to mess around with.......

UGA
06-18-2003, 12:42 PM
It's nice to hear this as the Super Z is the Z to beat for me. I will be purchasing after the first of the year and hope to have the new 28hp Kubota diesel on it by then. I can't wait.

Lawn Tek
06-18-2003, 01:02 PM
Mowerconsultant . how about a white seat ? , black is killer in the sun

UGA
06-18-2003, 01:44 PM
And a more comfortable suspension seat would be very helpful as well. I haven't turned one up all the way yet though so the current ones may work. I'll demo again soon.

mowerconsultant
06-18-2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Lawn Tek
Mowerconsultant . how about a white seat ? , black is killer in the sun

I will agree with you there.
I am going to forward this to some guys at the factory.

Later
Pj

Doc Pete
06-18-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by MOW ED
GOLD

Man what a machine. I was like a little kid with a new toy.

Ed,
I'm glad to see you have found out what every Hustler owner knows. Their WB's are built the same way, in fact, the "Z's" are actually built like the WB's:p :p But honestly, I'm glad to hear others besides myself are realizing the quality that goes into a Hustler product.
Pete

yardman1
06-18-2003, 09:52 PM
I had the chance to demo a super z for about 4 days and it was awesome, I did not want to give it back. I hope in the next few months I will be purchasing one, my dealer gave me a price of a little below 8k with tax included (60" 27 kohler).

nelbuts
06-18-2003, 11:25 PM
Saw one that slid down the bank today and had one wheel in about two feet of water. Was being pulled out by another type of Z mower. I know they all slide on hills and wish that they would design them to handle the hills.

Lawn DOG
06-19-2003, 12:02 AM
MOW ED,

What is the size of the one you demoed? I am thinking of going with the Super Z. Just been waiting for a dealer to get Hustler so I can try one out...We don't have a local dealer yet...

Phishook
06-19-2003, 02:37 AM
How did you like that parking brake? Was it hard adjusting to?

Envy Lawn Service
06-19-2003, 04:09 AM
Phishook,

I really would think that the brake design would be a real slick deal. I don't really care for all the fumbling around on mine. I wish the Y/K had that.

nelbuts,

Design them to handle hills? The mid-mount zero turn mower design in itself is the problem really in some aspects. The laws of gravity and weight transfer are just not in favor of the design.

However, the hill handling manners of all Z's are far from equal. Some designs are better than others. Center of gravity, weight distribution, balance, traction, smoothness of controls and dimensions are all key elements to good hill handling manners.

If you like the Hustler Super Z's, try the big one, then take it's little brother for a spin too!

PJ,

Keep that dealer network growing! Also, maybe mention putting a 48" deck in the works for the mini frame. That might be a good seller. 44" rear track width, 48" deck, A bit of trim v/s the 44" deck without having to go up to the 52" deck.

Just a thought from the owner of a similar machine :blush:

Jusmowin
06-19-2003, 07:02 AM
Lawn Dog, what part of VA are you in? I live at here at the beach and all of the Lands and Coates stores carry the Hustler Zs.

Lawn DOG
06-19-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Jusmowin
Lawn Dog, what part of VA are you in? I live at here at the beach and all of the Lands and Coates stores carry the Hustler Zs.

I am located near Fredericksburg.

steve225
06-20-2003, 12:01 AM
Lawn Dog where did you get your Z from what hp. and how much$ was it
Thanks Steve

MOW ED
06-20-2003, 07:13 AM
Lawndog,
The Super Z was a 60". I miss it already.

Phishook,
The parking brake was great. I am used to a Walker so when I started demoing the Z's with the seperate brake I was finding myself applying it in the wrong sequence and killing the engine. The Super Z is a no brainer, spread the sticks and the brake is on.

PJ,
Even a Wisconsin sun baked my b-hind getting on that black seat. I am not being critical because most Z mfgrs have black or dark seats but a white seat would make a great mower even better.
If you guys had an efi on that one I demoed, it wouldn't be a demo anymore.
Probably not a fair question but what is the M.S.R.P. gonna be on the 28EFI Super Z? I don't know if I can hold off til August.

Now a question for all that tried a Super Z AND an Exmark.
Tell me about handling large quantities of clippings. I demoed a Lazer yesterday and I must say that its deck is quite a masterpiece. I had some overgrown lawns and it did great on them. In fairness I did not have the opportunity to put the Super Z to the same test on Tuesday. How do you rate the quality of cut between the 2 decks? Does anyone use different blade combinations or doubles? I am cutting Ky blue/fescue/rye mix, cool season stuff. I am sure its different for you southern gents.

John Gamba
06-20-2003, 07:48 AM
That's what I Love About the Ultracut deck, When the Cutting Get's Tuff The Ultracut Keep's Cutting.
You Should See It Cut With Double High Lifts On :D
John

mowerconsultant
06-20-2003, 11:55 AM
John,
why dont you show them your "other" banner pic ???

This one...

Doc Pete
06-20-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by mowerconsultant
John,
why dont you show them your "other" banner pic ???

This one...

Does John look "Fatter" in the exmark photo? Oh, maybe it's the amount a cash in his wallet to pay for the exmark bagger. Gees, I'm still wondering at $11,300+ for the exmark, is he really clearing $100/hour, or is the money better spend on more profitable equipment???? I realize I've asked that before, but I got no answer... Hmmmmmm, maybe that "WAS" the answer :D :D
Pete

John Gamba
06-20-2003, 02:56 PM
Pete
I Told You Before I Don't Talk Money Here. But What I Will Say Is I Just Made over 100 Dollar's For an hour On The Lawn i just Did With the Bagger On.
John

Pj
Can You Make Me Look Younger?

Doc Pete
06-20-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by John Gamba
Pete
I Told You Before I Don't Talk Money Here. But What I Will Say Is I Just Made over 100 Dollar's For an hour On The Lawn i just Did With the Bagger On.

And that's all I was wondering....... Thanks,
Pete

LawnSmith
06-21-2003, 12:07 AM
hey John, that looks like the Grand Princess in the background. i have been on 3 Princess cruises and my last was on the Grand, a really nice boat.

John Gamba
06-21-2003, 07:53 AM
Hay It Is, We Did The Grand For Western Caribbean,We Do The Golden Princess For eastern.
Hope To See You There This December?
John.

John Gamba
06-21-2003, 08:04 AM
Lawnsmith
Here Is The Golden With Disney, St Marten.

LawnSmith
06-21-2003, 12:40 PM
the disney cruise will probably be the next one for us. it looks to be a great time for the kid(s) and a good time for parents as well.

the Golden is similar to the Grand, except the Golden is a wee big bigger, no?

our most recent trip(in March) was on the Grand to the western carib. we were on the Dawn for both the southern and eastern carib.

all in all, we enjoyed the southern most of all.

mowerconsultant
06-24-2003, 08:55 PM
I am very excited about the 28EFI thats promised in August.

Just got word today, we are on schedule for August.
The pricing is as follows....
28 hp Kohler EFI 60" MSRP $10,495.00
28 hp Kohler EFI 72" MSRP $10,795.00

Your dealers will have ordering info in a week or so, so get yours on order as soon as they do.

Later
Pj

crazygator
06-25-2003, 01:00 AM
PJ,
Are these going to have more leg room than the others have had?

Just wondering. The demo I had (before I got the Lazer HP) was a little cramped for me at 6'3".

mowerconsultant
06-25-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by crazygator
PJ,
Are these going to have more leg room than the others have had?

Just wondering. The demo I had (before I got the Lazer HP) was a little cramped for me at 6'3".

Our engineers are working on making some more leg room on the Z's and Super Z's, they should be in production in September.

Later
Pj

LawnSmith
06-25-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by mowerconsultant
28 hp Kohler EFI 60" MSRP $10,495.00

yikes

Doc Pete
06-25-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by LawnSmith
yikes

don't forget that's list. Your dealer has room to talk.

LawnSmith
06-25-2003, 12:44 PM
they better have about $1800-2000 bucks worth of room then, lol.

29hp DFI Kawi attached to 61" Scag TT is only 8700.

MacLawnCo
06-25-2003, 11:37 PM
Now a question for all that tried a Super Z AND an Exmark.
Tell me about handling large quantities of clippings. I demoed a Lazer yesterday and I must say that its deck is quite a masterpiece. I had some overgrown lawns and it did great on them. In fairness I did not have the opportunity to put the Super Z to the same test on Tuesday. How do you rate the quality of cut between the 2 decks?

ED,

I had the opportunity to run the super wb against my exmark wb this spring just as we were getting into the heavy growth, im guessing about 5 weeks ago. Maybe this will help you.

On paper, the hustler super wb (54", 25 Kaw) v. my exmark metro (48" 14 Kaw) should have been a no-brainer. In actuallity, it wasnt. I loved everything about the hustler except the deck design and clipping dispersal.

As i said, in the heavy growth on my blue and fescue lawns, the hustler was pitiful. The day i got the demo, i had mowed with my exmark up til noon in heavy growth and dew, with no clumps or double cuts. I picked up the hustler around noon and went to work on similar conditions (less the dew) and found myself double cutting every lawn that afternoon. Towards the end of my route, i got so fed up with the discharge patern, i parked the hustler and went back to my exmark. I checked the deck, and it was clean and the blades were sharp, so the only conclusion i came to was that the hustler's cut was inferior to the exmark.

PJ, I tried to explain to Terry, my hustler rep, what was going on but he just replied that he hadnt had much time behind the wbs.

When discharging to the cut areas(which matters most), the hustler didnt scatter the clippings at all. Rather, it just threw them all in a nice pile over two rows. I maintain premium properties, and i could not leave them looking the way the hustler left them. I wanted a new machine badly(the hustler), but as it sits, the hustler super wb didnt out cut my exmark.

Hustler
06-27-2003, 11:04 AM
Any idea which blades were on the Hustler?

UGA
06-27-2003, 11:18 AM
Was the discharge chute up or down? Just curious.

Oldtimer
06-27-2003, 11:02 PM
John,

How about taking a couple of pics of the doubles on your eXmark & email to sales@sevillelawn.com

Jim
Pensacola, Florida

Farmer Jon
07-23-2003, 11:27 PM
:confused: anyone make a ocdc for the 52 " super mini ? why do dealers keep saying double stacking blades is bad?!?

Nebraska
07-23-2003, 11:36 PM
Go check out our experiences with the Hustler.....
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44440

for us it became a no brainer. They are awesome machines.

rob1325
07-23-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by LawnSmith
they better have about $1800-2000 bucks worth of room then, lol.

29hp DFI Kawi attached to 61" Scag TT is only 8700.

Lawnsmith,
Do you have the 29 Kawi DFI Turf Tiger. I'm getting one soon and wanna know how you like it (the motor), if you have it. As for Kohler motors I had 5 of them and they all gave me problems. Also, the Kohler EFI's seem to have problems from what I read on here and what my dealer says about them. When is Hustler gonna put the liquid cooled Kawi in, that would be nice.

mowerconsultant
07-24-2003, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by rob1325
When is Hustler gonna put the liquid cooled Kawi in, that would be nice.

The liquid cooled 27 hp Kawasaki will be available this fall.
Here is your info on pricing and and availability.....
Description / model # / MSRP / available date
Super Z, 27HP Kawasaki LC / 60", suspension seat. 927012 $10,295 10/15/03
Super Z, 27HP Kawasaki LC / 72", suspension seat. 927020 $10,595 10/15/03

Now this pricing is MSRP, check with your dealer for your best price.

Later
Pj

WLLD
07-24-2003, 01:30 PM
Farmer Jon,
Qwickchute will fit the 52" Super Mini - jsut shim it up with 3 or 4 washers.

Shayne

UGA
07-24-2003, 04:13 PM
Sure wish a manufacturer would make a Super Z with an Exmark deck & finished cut; Truelly the best of both worlds.

awm
07-24-2003, 06:05 PM
me thinks this requires more investigation. got to have the good cut.
with discharge that makes cleanup ,rarely necessary. lazer .
mabe i now have a better educated ,way of determineing which one to buy as replacement. but then by the time this 96 lazer wears out. new inovations will have changed the picture again.

Doc Pete
07-24-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by UGA
Sure wish a manufacturer would make a Super Z with an Exmark deck & finished cut; Truelly the best of both worlds.

I think part of the problem is are we cutting the lawn when it needs to be cut or is it long and we are trying to make the job look as good as possible. My Hustler cut great, however, I will admit Hustlers are make with the thought of a high "air" chute velocity instead of high grass volume discharge.
Pete

LawnSmith
07-24-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by rob1325
Lawnsmith,
Do you have the 29 Kawi DFI Turf Tiger. I'm getting one soon and wanna know how you like it (the motor), if you have it. As for Kohler motors I had 5 of them and they all gave me problems. Also, the Kohler EFI's seem to have problems from what I read on here and what my dealer says about them. When is Hustler gonna put the liquid cooled Kawi in, that would be nice.

yeah, i have a 61" TT w/ 29kaw. i added it to the fleet back in May and its got almost 200hrs on it now, not too bad considering there are at least 2 other mowers going at the same time. we have a couple more tigers w/ the 27kaw and its a great motor as well.

actually the 23, 27, and 29 are all the same engine block(i.e., bore/stroke), its just the induction that gives them more power. the power difference is a lot more noticable between the 23 and 27 than the 27 to 29. the 29 gets a whole lot better fuel economy than the 27s do and it has a bit more power to boot. ive lost count but i think this is our 5th or 6th tiger and they have all been great machines.

rob1325
07-25-2003, 01:14 AM
I have Scag fleets also, and they are great. Will be getting Scag turf Tiger 29HP Kawi DFI soon. I have the 27 and 22 KAwis liquid cooled with no problems. Also have a Cub aircooled Kawi. Though I still love the liquid cooled.

imograss
07-27-2003, 10:31 AM
my super z striping kit

Farmer Jon
08-03-2003, 10:40 AM
thanks! i'm spending the time i save cutting with the mini, on beds with little green clippings in them.:dizzy:

dannyc33
08-04-2003, 12:37 PM
Hey MacLawnCo,
I have a 60' Super Z and have the same problem with the piles two rows over and am sick a double cutting evertime it's remotely wet or I'm cutting tick grass, evern if it's not tall, and don't get me started on tall grass.
I plan on moving up to a 72" Liquid Cooled Kaw. From what everone's saying I think it will be an Exmark Lazer Z LC and not Hustler Super Z. What do you think?
After all, other than money, the quality of the cut is the most important thing.
Dan

Doc Pete
08-04-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by dannyc33
Hey MacLawnCo,
I have a 60' Super Z and have the same problem with the piles two rows over and am sick a double cutting evertime it's remotely wet or I'm cutting tick grass, evern if it's not tall, and don't get me started on tall grass.Dan

I know nothing about the machine, but didn't you demo the unit??? If I was spending that kind of money, I'd demo the machine first, for at least a day. Also, what does the dealer say?? If it's as bad as you say, I'd make the dealer take it back. Again, it sounds really wierd. You know there isn't "that much" difference between all the professional machines. True, the word is Exmark cuts the best, by that in no way means the rest are chopped liver...........