PDA

View Full Version : Do you wear hearing protection?

dobehap
06-18-2003, 10:55 AM
How many of you wear hearing protection?

dobehap
06-18-2003, 10:59 AM
I would wear it all the time, but my biggest complaint is ability to wipe of sweat with ease.

Taking off glasses for the task is half the burden already.:rolleyes:

jlewis
06-18-2003, 11:15 AM
Yep. Got tired of my ears ringing after mowing my own yard.

deere ZTR
06-18-2003, 11:18 AM
It is annoying because then you cant hear if you have a bearing start to squeal and things like that but I guess better to shell a bearing and damage something than your hearing for life.

Doc Pete
06-18-2003, 11:24 AM
Not wearing hearing protection is as stupid as not wearing eye protection........ However, just by this post I realize the mentality of many LCO's..........Errrr..... and wearing shorts and/or no shirt on the job is just as stupid. Man found out long pants can actually help protect your legs from poison Ivy/etc. stones, branches, prickers bushes, roses, other debris and Deer ticks. Now all we have to do is educate LCO's cut up legs ain't manly.
Pete

Runner
06-18-2003, 11:25 AM
I wear the foam plugs in my ears. This cuts down the damaging decibals considerably, plus I can still hear things. The way to go. I was going to go with Peltors, but I didn't want to run around with white ears.

hboyd_com
06-18-2003, 11:26 AM
What....? ;)

Doc Pete
06-18-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Runner
I was going to go with Peltors, but I didn't want to run around with white ears.

Hearing protection also keeps you from getting skin cancer on the top of your ears...........

AltaLawnCare
06-18-2003, 11:30 AM
I always use the foam plugs with a string attached...very comfortable. I'm going to get some Elvex or Peltors for this fall...to help keep all the dust out of my ears. :)

dobehap
06-18-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Switchless@aol.com
Not wearing hearing protection is as stupid as not wearing eye protection........ However, just by this post I realize the mentality of many LCO's..........Errrr..... and wearing shorts and/or no shirt on the job is just as stupid. Man found out long pants can actually help protect your legs from poison Ivy/etc. stones, branches, prickers bushes, roses, other debris and Deer ticks. Now all we have to do is educate LCO's cut up legs ain't manly.
Pete

Eye protection protects you from the unexpected, where hearing protection for the most part is controlled, therefore not as dangerous.
I'm sorry if your Hustler is too loud ;)

Mower decibles arent as damaging as you taking off your plugs and sitting down in your trunk, and turning the volume to a point where everyting vibrates.:p

Dont be quick to judge someone Pete, you know they make electric mowers too :D :D :D

BTW, I do wear long pants:)

UGA
06-18-2003, 11:51 AM
Ear plugs for small jobs, Elvex Quietunes for big; they are awesome!

dfor
06-18-2003, 12:49 PM
I agree with you Switchless. I have now idea why some people don't wear hearing protection. Who the heck wants to listen to a mower or trimmer all day. And for the backpack blower, they should just be wearing a sign that says "I'm stupid", like the song says.

lawncare3
06-18-2003, 12:58 PM
I ALWAYS wear my peltors they protect my ears AND are plesant to listen to. ;)

Gravely_Man
06-18-2003, 01:37 PM
I always wear safety protection. Too many things can go wrong and anything I can do to help myself is time well spent.

Gravely_Man

Westbrooklawn
06-18-2003, 02:11 PM
I am ashamed to admit that I haven't worn hearing protection as much as I should. I just bought Peltor Work Tunes and am going to try real hard to make it a habit.....

GraZZmaZter
06-18-2003, 02:15 PM
I went for years without wearing hearing protection.

Last year i bought a set of Peltor Radio Tunes, and wish i would of done this YEARS ago. Now i NEVER NEVER NEVER go without hearing protection. The ringing that use to be in my ears has subsided to almost nill. On top of that, the day goes alot better listening to tunes vs. listeneing to machines run all day.

I can hear my machines fine with the peltors on. Just today i ran up and down my yard before heading out and noticed a noise. Turned out to be 2 bushings going out. Fixed the problem, and was out by 9:30.

Whoever doesnt wear hearing ... WHAT??? ... protection needs their .... WHAT????? .... head examined ..... WHAT?????

SunSwept
06-18-2003, 02:44 PM
I used full-cup hearing protection. Before putting them on, however, I have a small SANGEAN radio that easily fits into my shirt-pocket and I use ear-buds and then put the hearing protection on over the ear-buds.

Ah, the times when there is an afternoon baseball game!!!!

Heron Cove PM
06-18-2003, 03:03 PM
Man found out long pants can actually help protect your legs from poison Ivy/etc. stones, branches, prickers bushes, roses, other debris and Deer ticks. Now all we have to do is educate LCO's cut up legs ain't manly.
Pete

What does it matter to you if me or my company wares shorts or not? I have "NO PROBLEM" with them as long as they look professional. I think we are adult enough to make that choice.

Doc Pete
06-18-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by dobehap
Eye protection protects you from the unexpected, where hearing protection for the most part is controlled, therefore not as dangerous. I'm sorry if your Hustler is too loud ;)
BTW, I do wear long pants:)

As I mentioned, besides your hearing, hearing protection is for ear lobe skin cancer, which is a giant problem in our industry. Furthermore, "I" like hearing protection because it allows better concentration on mowing. Noise is distracting , whether it seems it or not.
Oh, and if you don't think 25 horsepower turning double blades on a mower is loud, you're "already too late" for protection.

Music in the trunk... That's another story:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

bobbygedd
06-18-2003, 04:30 PM
man, i wont even fire up a wacker without head phones on. how can u stand the noise? protect yurself boys

battags
06-18-2003, 04:31 PM
Hearing protection also keeps you from getting skin cancer on the top of your ears...........

Your right! I'm going to start wearing a full faced, tinted visor, crash helmet! :) That way my nose and face are protected, too!

Seriosly, I'm suprised to see how many people polled wear "ears". I think that's great. I NEVER see anyone around here wearing them, but I think I'm going to start....

geogunn
06-18-2003, 04:42 PM
hearing loss is permanent.

I wear the little yellow plugs. they are comfy and do the job.

and when the spouse is yelling something at me and I am acting like I didn't hear, I can pull the plugs out and I am redemed with a "were you talking to me, dear?"

she hates it when I do that!

GEO

lawnrangers
06-18-2003, 05:40 PM
wear my peltors....religously.........

o-so-n-so
06-18-2003, 07:50 PM
I'm with Runner on this one. Foam ear plugs to cut down on the decibels but can stihl hear good enough if a problem occurs. The ones with the string works well. Just keep around neck until work begins. I also keep a pair without the cord. Some of my properties have low limbs and to get a ear plug jerked out ain't no pleasure. Its like a cork popping from a wine bottle. OUCH....

LANDGUARD
06-18-2003, 08:09 PM
The orange plugs without the cords are always in my ears (Had them plucked out too many times by the dreaded low branches also). There are times that I leave them in till I hit the house. I also love to tick off the wife by pulling them out and saying "Did you say something sweety?"

GraZZmaZter
06-19-2003, 09:12 AM
You folks that wear those little push-in yellow and orange ear plugs may be damaging your ears anyway....

To insert those into your ears you have to roll them up first. After mowing a few lawns your hands become pretty dirty. Than you grab those plugs with your dirty hands and roll them up and cram a bunch of dirt in your ears.

I have really sensitive ears, and i tried these plugs for a short time. My ears would itch so bad within a few yards it was unbearable. Now, your ears may not be that sensitive, but it is still effecting them and i am the proof.

Learn from my experience.

geogunn
06-19-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by GraZZmaZter
You folks that wear those little push-in yellow and orange ear plugs may be damaging your ears anyway....

To insert those into your ears you have to roll them up first. After mowing a few lawns your hands become pretty dirty. Than you grab those plugs with your dirty hands and roll them up and cram a bunch of dirt in your ears.

actually--I can look at my hands before I roll the little yellow plug.

and if my hands are too dirty, I just wash them.

permanent hearing loss is a more serious problem.

it's sorta like the guy from VIRGINIA and the guy from WEST VIRGINIA, going into the bathroom at the same time to relieve themselves.

when done, the guy from VIRGINIA washes his hands and is indignant that the guy from WEST VIRGINIA does not. he snarls:"IN VIRGINIA THEY TEACH US TO WASH OUT HANDS AFTER WE RELIEVE OUR SELF!"

and the guy from WEST VIRGINIA isn't flusterd a bit. he simply responds: "IN WEST VIRGINIA THEY TEACH US NOT TO PEE ON OUR HANDS." :D

GEO

AltaLawnCare
06-19-2003, 10:08 AM
LOL :D

GEO is right on the money.

AltaView
06-19-2003, 10:23 AM
Always! Not worth losing it for good. I use the disposable ones. I buy them by the case from the local industrial supply company. I keep the pair I wear in a little case when not in use. Once they get dirty enough I go to a new pair. I can't stand having earmuff protectors....to much sweating.

Kevin
Express Lawns

swonkeg
06-19-2003, 11:55 AM
I used muff style protection until about a month ago, now use some little inserts on string. As far as ears and sun one reason I switched was because I bought a wide brim straw hat that is much cooler and shades my ears and back of neck which my cap didn't do. I have driven all the way across town to get hearing protection when forgotten at the house.

Remsen1
06-19-2003, 01:57 PM
I answered "never", but i am reconsidering. I never really thought about it before, just ignorance.

It would really be nice if the machines were just quieter considering the issue of banning leaf blowers and who knows what's next. In the meantime, I'm going to get some ear protection.

Westbrooklawn
06-20-2003, 11:03 AM
I have been using peltor work tunes for a bout a week now and would highly recommend them. They are great!

FatherandSon
06-20-2003, 11:51 AM
Hope this question isn't too stupid but here goes.

Having been a victim of skin cancer, I should be wearing my wide brim hat. However, can't seem to wear my Peltors with that on.

Has anyone found a solution to that problem????

Thanks

Doc Pete
06-20-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by FatherandSon
Hope this question isn't too stupid but here goes.

Having been a victim of skin cancer, I should be wearing my wide brim hat. However, can't seem to wear my Peltors with that on.

Has anyone found a solution to that problem????

Thanks

Well, the peltors take care of the ear skin cancer, and 30+ lotion with a regular brim hat does the rest. I don't even get a tan:p and, I had my "pre-cancer" spots frozen and they aren't coming back....
Pete...

T. Matthews
06-20-2003, 01:23 PM
Hey everyone,

I buy all my guys ear protection and safety glasses. I also bought croakies with my LCO name on them to hold the glasses plus it aslo advertises for me. I request for my guys to get their own gloves and safety shoes. I also bought them holders and hand pruners so when they are own a property and see something needing triming they can

Tharrell
06-21-2003, 07:27 AM
I use 2 different kinds of hearing protection. When mowing, I use Elvex foam plugs that are attached to a hoop. Because I sweat so much I can't wear safety glasses so I bought a mesh screen(no hardhat) from Echo and it has a pair of headphone type protectors, I use that when trimming. I didn't realize how loud all of my equipment was until I used protection and took it off for the first time.

NBLL
06-21-2003, 08:00 AM
Due to stupidity in my teen years shooting rifles without hearing protection, I now have high frequency loss in both ears. :rolleyes: I'm not planning on loosing any more of my hearing. I started out with the foam disposable, then to the head phone type, then back to foam(cheap set of phones were very uncomfortable). I also wear goggles while using all power equipment. Been slapped by a few tree limbs while mowing. I was wearing the safety glasses but they didn't keep the dust and lighter stuff from flying in. I've haven't been very good about wearing sunscreen or a hat. Really need to get in the habit since I don't have very much natural protection on top.:D

Grassmechanic
06-21-2003, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by T. Matthews
I request for my guys to get their own gloves and safety shoes.

Check with OSHA. I believe if you (owner) require safety equipment, you (owner) have to provide it. Years back, a co. I worked for had a lawsuit from an employee about having to buy his own safety equipment. We all got new safety shoes out of it.

Mike