PDA

View Full Version : Walkbehinds- Fixed or floating decks

scottb
09-25-2000, 05:00 PM
Dont want to start a war here so everyone be nice.Which do you perfer and why. I will agree that on uneven ground floating decks are a better choice. But for a simple Chicken farmer like me the fixed deck is a lot less worry. Because if I have learned anything it is the more the complication the more to go wrong. ( What I mean is I like fixed Decks)
Thanks for you input.

[Edited by scottb on 09-25-2000 at 09:02 PM]

dylan
09-25-2000, 07:03 PM
There are lots of other posts on this. I think my 48" fixed is fine but adjusting the height on a floating is alot easier in my opinion.

jaybee
09-25-2000, 07:38 PM
Fixed deck is fine on a flat lawn. How many of them do you have? I have none. Floating deck and Hydro is the only way to go. Height adjustment alone makes it worth it(I'm talking Exmark here) although I guess Scag now has something similar.

scottb
09-25-2000, 07:51 PM
Most of the lawns aound here are flat or at least on a gradual slope. So fixed decks work great. Before I bought I got to demo an Exmark 48" hydro floating deck it was awsome,but way out of my price range for now. But I can see the need down the road. But for now I like my Toro the T-Bar really suits my short fingers.

landscaper3
09-25-2000, 08:27 PM
If you buy like a Toro Pro-Line with the floating deck you can purchase attachments like a 36"sweeper, dozer blade, and more plus floater deck scalp lawns alot LESS than fixed decks. Easy ajustments all around better but they will cost more to. Look at Toro and Exmark mowers they both have a buy plan of no payments - no interest and no down payment till april 2001, also we prefer the pantened T-Bar set up on the Toros less fatiuge on arms and a real real smooth steering patern. They are both nice machines but go with the floating deck!!!!

mike48114
09-25-2000, 08:50 PM
you said if you got a floating deck you would have more to break, which I supose is true but the threat of something breaking on the floating system of a name brand mower Exmark, Scag, exc. is very rare unless you cut alot of grass (like me). GO w\ the floating deck, it also helps w\ resale.

eslawns
09-25-2000, 09:22 PM
The only real advantage a fixed deck has is that it's like a tank. The fixed deck I use hits stuff all the time, never had a problem. If I buy another WB, I'll probably get an Exmark. I'm the only user, so I don't worry about tearing it up. Might be different if I had people working for me.

Grasscape Inc
09-26-2000, 12:24 AM
Fixed is fine. save the $$$