PDA

View Full Version : Need Answers

ztrguy
06-18-2003, 07:30 PM
This is my first year in this particular area. I have 15 "weekly accounts." I have one person that I started doing on Tuesdays and one person I started doing on Wednesdays and one I started doing on Thursdays. So this means I do like 5 lawns each day: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. I'm having to load and unload every day and I have to waste gas/mileage by driving 3 days. I can easily do all these lawns in one day. Should I just pick a specific day to do all the lawns and tell the customer if it's ok to move them to that specific day? Or should I continue to waste 3 whole days by the time I load, go cut some grass, come home and unload, then get cleaned up. It's like I'm wasting 3 whole days when I could be doing them in one day. What should I do?

BSDeality
06-18-2003, 07:44 PM
i don't know if you've thought about it this way.... a few years ago i would just do my lawns on fridays cause thats when i had time. (school) At the time i was doing one commercial account for my neighbors office. He asked me if i could move my cutting day to monday for the office. I was like "ok, why?" he said, well, you're doing a great job, but when you cut it on friday it looks great for the weekend when we don't deal with people. If you could cut it monday then it would look good for the entire week. It made sense to me and i changed the days around for him. I try to mow all my residentials on Fridays now so that they look good for the weekend when Harry Homeowner is sitting on his deck looking at a nice lawn. I only change days if we're in for nasty weather. Of course as I expand i won't be able to do them all on fridays, and i'll have to start working backwards into the week.

LANDGUARD
06-18-2003, 07:59 PM
Let the customers know that you are going to switch them up for other days. They will not care. I'd pick Thursday so in case of bad weather on Friday, you won't be it their yard on Saturdays.

nelbuts
06-18-2003, 10:21 PM
Ok there is actually two ways to look at this.

1. Do them all the same day and save some money.
2. Make sure you have your name and number on you truck, trailer, etc. and spread them out a little. When you are on the road people see you more and this place you in their minds.

After you have a few then divide your area up into four or five sections. Cut each section on a particular day and make no exceptions. Now if it is a big account and demands a certain day then switch them all. I see too many guys running all over the place trying to get their stuff done when one person may want a Monday and four blocks away another wants a Wednesday.

Set your areas that work for YOU! You will make more money and do better work. MHO

greenman
06-18-2003, 10:34 PM
If this is your free days to do your work then keep them like that, unless you could be working somewhere else (I dont know if you have another job or not). Do those 5 per day but take your time, and market yourself in that area. If those three days are yours for mowing, try to fill those days up. I, personally, cannot do 15 lawns in 1 day. Take me 2 days. What I mean is, if your on one side of town the first day, keep it like that, that day will fill up. And the next day the same way....

lawncare3
06-20-2003, 01:24 AM
I moved them ALL to Thursdays because I was tried of getting 3 a day done. :mad: Do them all on one day and you will be happy trust me.