PDA

View Full Version : What was the turning point for the large companies.

o-so-n-so
06-18-2003, 07:36 PM
Hey guys,
I was just reading the post "What does a 2 man crew gross" and decided to start this thread.

I am basically a one man outfit. Been in the biz a long time and have the knowledge of all aspects of the biz. I am time tied as to making more money because of my FT job. Occasionally, I hire helpers to help with some of the heavy work loads and it always seems to help my bottom line and I can get so much more done when using a GOOD helper.
I want to go Full Time in this business. My accountant says not to. To much headache dealing with employees, ins packages for employees, work comp, vehicles, and stuff like that.

My questions are;
What point in your business did you make that move to start increasing your income?
What is the single most important thing you done to better your company?
What move separated you from the rest of us?
Do you have any regrets?

You can be as basic or as detailed as you wish.

Thank you....................

KenH
06-18-2003, 08:23 PM
What is your criteria for a large company??? Gross??? Net???? # of employees???

Gene $immons
06-18-2003, 09:31 PM
I would say my biggest increase in profits came once I had enough work to split up into two crews. Even though my employees are fantastic, I was nervous about not always being there. After the first week of sending out a second crew, I saw that I can trust the work to get done, and I had time to "grow" the business in many ways. Now I have time to give out a bid on a moments notice, meet with a customer during the day, etc.

o-so-n-so
06-18-2003, 09:35 PM
I think successful companies, that run multiple crews, mowing, installs, maintenance, or anything that you can profit from.

I will make well over 50k but less than 100k gross as a one man show.

I would think a successful company with multiple crews should be in the multiple 100k's.

smburgess
06-18-2003, 09:38 PM
Finding the right employees is the only way to grow.

ALSO.....

Don't expect if you don't inspect, important to remember. Always do QC checks behind crews.