PDA

View Full Version : Need a diagnosis

greenman
06-18-2003, 09:16 PM
What is this?

Brown patch? Its not been that hot....yet. Mainly wet and humid.

greenman
06-18-2003, 09:17 PM

greenman
06-18-2003, 09:18 PM
last one, it came out blurry, i should've used the macro

ArchiesLawns
06-18-2003, 09:22 PM
Are you the owner of Heavenly Lawns?

Enviro Green
06-18-2003, 09:29 PM
This is from our June Newsletter (technical information from Extension publications):

Brown patch is the most serious and frequently occurring disease of tall fescue. The early symptoms of this disease are small circular brown patches .5 to 1 foot in diameter that develops during hot-wet weather in early summer. More patches develop and the older patches may continue to enlarge up to 4-6 feet in diameter during hot-wet weather. The lawn may have a uniform brown appearance without distinct patches from the disease by the end of the summer. Lesions that are olive color in the morning when dew is present, or during rainy weather, develop rapidly on young leaves. As the tissue dries the lesions become light tan. Webby mycelium of the fungus may be seen on the lesions and the surrounding grass blades in very humid weather. Vigorously growing plants that have received higher than recommended rates of nitrogen fertilizer during the spring or the summer are very susceptible to the disease. Tall fescue in partially shaded lawns and where air movement is restricted is more susceptible to brown patch because of higher humidity and more succulent growth.

Similarly, a brown patch-like disease sometimes occurs on tall fescue during cool-wet weather. This disease has been named cool- weather brown patch or yellow patch. Helminthosporium net blotch occurs on tall fescue but usually does not cause severe damage. The symptoms of this disease are brown lesions with "net" patterns on leaves. Sometimes young seedlings will be killed by the fungus and can result in thinning during warm-moist weather in the fall or spring.

Don't know if this helps, but it gives a pretty good description of the diseases and symptoms.

EG

greenman
06-18-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by ArchiesLawns
Are you the owner of Heavenly Lawns?

Never heard of them. Why do you ask? What's your location?

ArchiesLawns
06-18-2003, 09:50 PM
There is a company in Little Rock that sprays for weeds and fertilization. I thought it was Heavenly Lawns. What are some of the major companys there other than ChemLawn and Fairway?

greenman
06-18-2003, 09:55 PM
You may be thinking of Healthy Lawns and Shrubs. That's another big one.

My uncle manages the Fairway Lawn branch up in Springdale.

There are a few other spray companies around here, but those three are the big ones.

What's your location?

ArchiesLawns
06-18-2003, 10:02 PM
Thats it. I was in Hot Springs this past weekend and I saw one of his trucks. I looked in the yellow pages to see who all was in the area. (other than ChemLawn and Fairway) Did notice a few smaller companies and I think 2 Lawn Doctors.

I am in Virginia at the TN stateline line.

greenman
06-18-2003, 10:14 PM

I am in Virginia at the TN stateline line.

Oh man, that's beautiful country out there. Too awesome to describe. I love the Smokies and the Cumberland Mountain.

ArchiesLawns
06-18-2003, 10:20 PM
Do you only cut grass? Or do you spray aswell? I am just a small company trying to compete with the big guys. What about you?

greenman
06-18-2003, 10:20 PM
Back to the topic. After looking over books, it looks more like dollar spot. I looked for insects/bugs and found none present. Lawn is also yellowing in places. Soil is mostly clay (mostly the problem probably).

greenman
06-18-2003, 10:22 PM
Do you only cut grass? Or do you spray aswell? I am just a small company trying to compete with the big guys. What about you?

Im a full service company, I offer full service property maintenance. Im a small company as well, just trying to make it.

ArchiesLawns
06-18-2003, 10:23 PM
Put extra N on it. That should bring it back out. That will help it knock the fungus out by growing quickly.

greenman
06-18-2003, 10:36 PM
Put extra N on it. That should bring it back out. That will help it knock the fungus out by growing quickly.

I ferted it today with 28-5-10 /4.5% FE.