PDA

View Full Version : Trimming a hedge....

Jon99
06-18-2003, 10:28 PM
One of my accounts has a small hedge, perhaps about 50 feet, that she needs trimmed... When she asked I told her sure thing, assuming that a guy that I know who does bush trimming would take care of it for me... Anyway, he broke his leg and is out of commission for two months.. Considering I have never trimmed any bushes other than my own, should I explain the situation or just do it myself???? I would hate to lost a decent mowing account because I mess up a $50-$100 hedge job.. Just worried about trimming them back too much..

bayfish
06-18-2003, 10:58 PM
Jon99,

I always try to get the customer to show me how they want it. If that is not possible, go conservative. You can always take more off. Tell them they should be done at least twice per year so you don't have to take a lot off at one time. Some older shrubs can be bare in the middle. Explain that if you remove too much there will be holes exposed. Trimming more often helps prevent that.
Take the job!

nelbuts
06-18-2003, 11:01 PM
Bush work is good money so now is a good time to learn. If, you can use a hedge trimmer then it should be fairly easy. When I started 19 years ago I use to use the hand shears. That did not last long. But just take your time and you should be ok.

Turfdude
06-18-2003, 11:01 PM
IT depends on the shrub type as to how aggressive you can go. I agree w/ the above - approach it like a hair cut - you can always "take more off the top", but .....

baddboygeorge
06-19-2003, 12:47 AM
just trim thats how ya learn dont be bashful just start lite an work your way into the desired depth have fun an keep trimming

65hoss
06-19-2003, 01:00 AM
If you are going to be in this business, its time you learned.

DLCS
06-19-2003, 01:01 AM
I would definately take that job. I also try to get the customer to tell me how they want it trimmed. Usually you can kinda tell how low the hedge was trimmed before by where the old growth starts.

CMerLand
06-19-2003, 01:14 AM
Jon

First things first you need to find out what kind of hedge it is your pruning. Either take a sample to the nursery or post a pic here and we can help you out with the trimming tips. Trimming a good ol fashioned taxus is wayyyy different then pruning a flowering hedge such as spirea, viburnum or juniper in terms of how hard and timing.

Get back to us.

CMerrick