PDA

View Full Version : The "Hood" -an idiot

Toroguy
09-25-2000, 06:33 PM
Today I was mowing the last remaining ghetto home on my route. Nice old woman lives alone there. Near the alley I came aross a crumpled paper towel, next to the paper towel was a large piece of human feces. Upon a distant closer look I noticed a tell tale sign on the paper towel that confirmed it was from a human.

Last year during the fall I discovered a "Molotov cocktail" in her bushes, during a clean-up.

I do believe that this latest "crap" will be my last trip into the "Hood" to make a buck.

Although this poor neighborhood is only ten miles from the affluent areas, they are worlds apart.

MOW ED
09-25-2000, 06:39 PM
Are you sure someone isn't after your business with high nitrogen fertilizer rolls? They say the lucky guys step in shi% and come out smellin like a rose. Or mayby it was a guy with a very large aerator core.

Sorry for making a little fun as I grew up in the city and know what kind of crap (hehe) you can get into. At least your not dodging bullets.

Toroguy
09-25-2000, 08:24 PM
The grass should grow well in that spot. I should hire the guy for the other 49 properties. Bullets dont fly before noon:)

bob
09-25-2000, 08:56 PM
I would drop her also. Sooner or later some of your equipment will sprout legs and walk away!

eslawns
09-25-2000, 09:05 PM
Sounds like a place where I used to work. Our Co. van was broken into 3 or 4 times so someone could do that in the spare tire. I wouldn't even ask any of our people to clean it out, I had the dealer do it. We found crack pipes and hypo's every day when we picked up the trash around the building. No employee was allowed to work after dark. I was sure glad to leave that place. Amazing what people will do, huh?

Twotoros
09-25-2000, 11:56 PM
Seen plenty of diapers with full load and hypos from our local junkies but no human dump sites. I think your find was like the opposite of hit'n the lotto!!!!!!

Bobby
09-26-2000, 07:27 AM
Sounds familiar. I used to have some work in downtown Ft Lauderdale. I had to have somebody in the front yard at all times. The wolves would begin to gather if you were there to long.

geogunn
09-26-2000, 07:37 AM
consider the old lady. her plight isn't her fault. we all smack a turd every now and then...but I admit a human one would be a first for me!

try to look at it this way...if you can drive that far and make a profit, just cut the property early in the week and about nine or ten am. junkees and gang bangers shouldn't be out that early.

I have a rubber coated 7/16 inch cable with padlock that I lace through my equipment as it sits on the trailer. it's not perfect but it keeps things from walking off, at least so far.

GEO

southside
09-26-2000, 10:03 AM
Some areas over here are real toilets. I usually carry some sort of pain inflicting implement with me while I'm working.
This may suprise you guys,but here in Australia we have a fairly high crime rate. Car theft is the second highest in the world after Britain. At least we don't have drive by shootings.

Karl

thelawnguy
09-26-2000, 10:19 AM
When you learn to talk the talk, and walk the walk, the miscreants in these neighborhoods will leave you alone. I make good money in these lower-level areas 'cuz guys are scared somebodys gonna mess with their stuff. Generally, if they cant grab it and run they leave it alone.

Buy an old holster at a yard sale or gun show and leave the empty holster on your dashboard. This has been my best crime-prevention purchase as of yet.

A bike lock still goes thru all the equipment, and I wont do any property which requires snaking thru blind alleys (dont wanna get boxed in like a turtles you-know-what).

Sammy
09-26-2000, 10:26 AM
Ah yes, Life in the big cities. Ain't it grand.

thelawnguy
09-26-2000, 10:45 AM
Ah yes, and the main reason I moved to 'burbia a few years back.

Administrator
09-26-2000, 12:55 PM
We used to mow the Salvation Army in down town KC MO. This was a 20 minute job that paid $125 and we cut it weekly regardless of weather.

Every week we had to deal with people begging for change, literally mowing around people sleeping in the lot, needles, condoms, broken glass, human poop ( they dropped and went wherever they had to go )

When we trimmed the bushes we literraly exposed their "homes". Sometimes we ran across their hidded stashes of beer and used lottery tickets.

The only thing that ever got stolen from this property was a blower that was left in the back of the truck. That was a employee mistake because we always locked up everything every other time.

Chuck Keough

cos
09-26-2000, 01:22 PM
I too had an experience of mowing a dump, but i will say that all the people in that neighborhood treated me pretty decent. The lady on the second floor was such a pig, she was too lazy to throw her trash out, that she tossed it on to the lawn. there was literally a pile of diapers on the lawn. I dropped that account like a sack of bricks. I first worned the owner then after it persisted, I then didn't mow and called and told him, thanks but no thanks, find someone else to mow. I once found in a paper bag what looked like a human fetus and called 911. The cop said ok you can go and I left and never anything again. He said he called the medical examiner. It smelled so foul and smelled like like a dead human that it had to be true. When mowing the regular trash that people threw down on the lawn,crack viles, pipes, neeedles was normal to the people in that neighborhood. Hmmmmmmmmm, what does a broom cost? (13.95). I guess they weren't educated enough to use.

Toroguy
09-26-2000, 01:55 PM
I thought I was alone in my experience. I maintain this yard before noon on Mondays for my safety. The season is coming to a close so I should consider the customer and mow two more times. She doesnt move from the neighborhood because she belongs to the Church two doors down, and has been a member for 50 years.

I like Bills idea of the empty holster, I would have never thought of that.

Scraper
09-26-2000, 03:31 PM
Damn Cos...what a difference a few miles can make!

Twotoros
09-26-2000, 07:04 PM
About a month or so ago as pulled to a small church account I noticed what looked to be a heap of blankets on the lawn . On closer inspection I realized it was a native american passed out . I tried to wake him , he was out or dead. I stared to trim and when I seen the secretary I told her and she called it in to the PD. I mowed all but a patch around this guy when the pd arrived. He knew him , woke him and sent him packing . I had my mower 2 feet from his head and he wouldn't even flinch. Gotta love that night train.

greenlawncare
09-26-2000, 07:05 PM
that blows - but if she pays her bills and and isn't far away the issue isn't what neighborhood does she live in, the issue becomes do you want to pick up that kind of stuff. would you pick it up in an affluent neighborhood. probably not. drop it.

65hoss
09-26-2000, 08:03 PM
I was cutting some houses in the spring in 2 of the worst parts of memphis (top 3 in murders and guess which areas). The senery definatly changed about 12 everyday. It was a must to be out of there by then.

When school got out for the summer, this made things worse before 12. So I handled it. Forget the holster. The best deterrent was getting out of the truck and having the S&W 45 strapped to my side in plain view. Unlike them, I didn't learn how to shoot by watching tv. :)

Never had a problem, but before I pressed my luck, I quit doing those yards.

The Lawn Genie
09-26-2000, 08:33 PM
65Hoss- you must have been in Orange Mound or Whitehaven?... I cut in whitehaven sometimes, I carry a 22 in my pocket... I don't advertise it, but if someone tries to mess with me they will probably regret it.

Toroguy
06-22-2001, 10:48 PM
I am updating this thread.

I finished the season at the nice old womans house. No crimes were committed by me or against me during the duration.

I informed her that I would not be able to continue helping her with her "yard work", because I was moving out to the rural suburbs.

I now travel to her neighborhood when the local news "breaks" from the "hood".

awm
06-23-2001, 02:07 PM
toroguy ,not telling you what to do.but the empty holster amounts to talkin the talk.be careful how you do that unless you are willing to
walk the walk.some peple aint playin. be careful later.

Toroguy
06-23-2001, 03:04 PM
I thought the holster idea to be a good one. I have not taken the advice however. I agree with awm, that it could lead to more trouble than it is worth.

"Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog".

My route is now in nice areas where miscreants are few and far between.

Rooster
06-23-2001, 03:30 PM
Just be thankful you are in the U.S. in Austraila I herd that the govt. took most of the firearms from the people, just like England.

Remember: True gun control is being able to hit your target!

Good Luck!

leeslawncare
06-23-2001, 03:39 PM
We once had a bid on a surgery center outside the "hood" got a pair of nasty tennis shoes stolen out of the back of the truck but they left the weed eater that was unlocked! go figure ....guess it must be true,,they are lazy as h@^% so afraid of the weedeater case it smelled like work????

guntruck
06-23-2001, 04:05 PM
Mo wed you kill me i swear it. I would drop the account also toro, i am with you on this one. I have some i would like to drop i just need the cheese right now, if you can drop it.