PDA

View Full Version : This will make you think

WPLE
06-19-2003, 03:00 AM
Just a little bit if info. I read in the paper a couple of days ago.

There are two Lawn services down in south MS who are being sued by the family of an elderly women who was outside her nursing home when she fell into an ant bed and later died from the bites. One of the companies got off because there contract was up a month before the accident but the other is going to have to foot the bill.

This made me realized how expensive not poisoning one ant bed good get.

DLCS
06-19-2003, 03:10 AM
Why is it that all everyone thinks about is sueing. I would think the nursing home would be at fault.

WPLE
06-19-2003, 03:13 AM
The family even tried to sue the contracting company that built the place two years ago.

awm
06-19-2003, 07:17 AM
they be alrite. they can sue the first company for pre existing condition. then that company can sue the bug chemical company for,failure of pesticide to remove hazard . resulting in the death of the lady. then the chemical company can sue somebody ,im sure. and the attorneys keep raking in the cash.
sad about the elderly lady tho. lost one of mine this week 87 yrs old.
i talked to her every wk and she never once mentioned having cancer,so i was a bit surprised.just wanted to know how my mom was doing.

Strawbridge Lawn
06-19-2003, 08:01 AM
The decay of society, one law suit at a time.

65hoss
06-19-2003, 09:10 AM
That is why you should always keep your G/L insurance up to date. When something happens, people and lawyers look for everyone to sue.

cos
06-19-2003, 09:17 AM
A landscaper was sued when a car accident happened. He should have informed the home owner of the potential danger of a branch that made a blind spot.

Sad world we live in.

Gravely_Man
06-19-2003, 09:54 AM
65hoss nailed it on the head. You have to stay ahead for the game by protecting yourself and making sure all of your policies are up to date. Making the policy payments is something no one wants to do but it is money well spent.

Gravely_Man

GraZZmaZter
06-19-2003, 10:16 AM
I think Strawbridge hit the nail on the head to...

hboyd_com
06-19-2003, 12:18 PM
A few weeks ago we had an employee of a local LCO arrested for KILLING an elderly women. Seems he was at her house during the day doing some planting and thought he would come back at night and rob her. The news reported that he stabbed her to death, but I also seem to remember that he raped her as well. Sick 20 something year old kid - I waiting to hear whether or not the LCO will get hit with a lawsuit.

Remsen1
06-19-2003, 12:43 PM
Sue, Sue, Sue. It's pathetic. The family was probably desperate to pay the nursing home fees (which is a whole 'nother sad state of affairs).

On the lighter side... If they do get a settlement for the wrongful death it should be prorated based on the estimated number of years the ole lady had left in the tank :)

ElephantNest
06-19-2003, 12:55 PM
Not that this has much to do with being sued, but I offer fire ant control free to all of my residential customers, and weed control ( not gardens) also. It is a great incentive, especially for those with small children that play in the yards. I just keep a bag of fire ant poison in my truck at all times. Works great for them, and me; very rarely do I wind up standing in a bed of ants while weed-eating or something.

battags
06-19-2003, 12:57 PM
Ahhhh, yet another good reason to carry PLEANTY of insurance, form an LLC or corp. or any measure to prevent (or reduce the likelihood) of these idiots (the type who will claim 3rd degree burns from spilling hot coffee on their lap because your w/b backfired) from taking your PERSONAL property and $$$$!!!!!

If you don't take EVERY possible step to protect yourself and your assets, you could pay the price. Not every state has enacted Tort reform laws which limit the payout for frivolous lawsuits.

Bottom line.....talk to an attorney to make sure you are covered. It's worth the money!