PDA

View Full Version : Field of weeds, this price worth it?

madmow
06-19-2003, 09:58 AM
I have been asked to mow 1 acre of 4.5 ft. weeds. For labor I would get $150. The rental of the 24 inch machine that can cut the weeds is paid for by lot owner. Is it worth it?

edrenckh
06-19-2003, 10:15 AM
You should be able to mow it in 3 hrs (maybe 1). I say you are lucky to get $150. Look into a larger machine though, 24" is small. Maybe a hay cutter thing.

Make sure of what he wants as an end result. I assume go over it 1x with the brush mower, hitting the high stuff down to 6". In 3-4 days, after it has dried, hit it with a Z or WB if he wants it shorter. Charge him again, and mow every week thereafter. $50 - $60 for the extra mows.

Now if he wants it bagged........

Any farmers there? Have them cut and bale it and charge them for the hay. Make $$ on both sides....

geogunn
06-19-2003, 10:32 AM
it depends on how long it is going to take you and what you have to do.

if it takes all day--bad deal.

if it takes only one pass with the machine and you are out in three hours--not too bad a deal.

I did one like that for $350. the agreement was two passes only and I was outta there with a big fat check.

why doesn't the guy just get it bush hogged? around here, any farmer would do that for $30.

GEO