PDA

View Full Version : lady tries to get something for free, when i wont do it....

bobbygedd
06-19-2003, 02:05 PM
so check it out. started a new lawn about 2 months ago. lady asks for extra stuff, i give her quotes. right off the bat, this is a royal pain in the butt customer. okay, she wants a huge hedge trimmed, and i know shes gonna nit pick, so i tell her hourly only, thats the only way we charge for trimming. but, before we do trimming, she wants some removel done. an old plum, and 5 arbs, removed and bundled at the curb for township pickup. i gave her a nice price. we also put a new plum in at the same time. so now the bull **** starts. "oh, while youre here, i need those other 5 arbs removed." im like, "well, im sorry mam, we only alowed enough time in our schedule for the work that we agreed upon, when we come next time to trim the hedge, we will do the extra removel at that time." she says, "well, u r not gonna charge me extra to remove the additional trees, are u? i said, "yes mam, we will just do it on the time clock while we are trimming the hedge." she gets royally pissed, cus she cant get anything for free out of me. so, as we are packing up, she starts the ****. i dont like where the tree is positioned, it needs to go a little to the right. so, we move it. no, maybe a little to the left, no maybe back around 6 inches, u know, real pain in the butt. well, after all considered, and fact that im getting better customers on a regular basis, i needed to trim some of the fat. so, i send her a cancellation notice along with the name and number of a good guy to take over. so, dig this: the guy calls me, and says this women is badmouthing me all over town, saying that she payed me in advance, and i took off without doing the work! its an outright fairy tale. what do i do? i mean, its been only 2 weeks, and alot of people have heard that i "ripped her off"

UGA
06-19-2003, 02:25 PM
I would call her up or better yet go by and ask her why she has been saying such things when it's not true. My experience often is when people are confronted (nicely) they change their tune; Of course that doesn't mean she won't continue to talk smack to other people. I feel for you.

teeca
06-19-2003, 02:39 PM
contact your attoney and have a letter sent to her with a copy of the agreement that you had with her along with a copy of the amount she had paid for the work to be done. and state that what she is doing is called 'slander' and you will pursue civil suit aginst her if this continues.:D

cos
06-19-2003, 02:59 PM
I am no Dr. Phil, but just let it go. You know as well as the other guys that your reputaion is better than that.....right? I have yet to meet you and I already know you personally. lol

Keep em coming. Like sands thru the hour glass, so are the days of our lives.

CoachLinz
06-19-2003, 03:36 PM
I used to teach Business Law and what she is doing is in fact slander. Let her know that you will sue her for the damage she has done to the business name in the community. Preferably do this through an attorney as described above. Make sure you have documentation of your original agreement, etc and I would swing by there ASAP and take a few snapshots to show that the work was done. Unfortunately, you probably don't have any before shots, but something is better than nothing.

MCGRAIL LAWN
06-19-2003, 04:22 PM
I see a lawsuite comming.

SLANDER is against the law. Because it can realy do damage

LAWNGODFATHER
06-19-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by MCGRAIL LAWN
I see a lawsuite comming.

SLANDER is against the law. Because it can realy do damage Prove it!!!!!!!

LAWNGODFATHER
06-19-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by CoachLinz
I used to teach Business Law and what she is doing is in fact slander. Let her know that you will sue her for the damage she has done to the business name in the community. Preferably do this through an attorney as described above. Make sure you have documentation of your original agreement, etc and I would swing by there ASAP and take a few snapshots to show that the work was done. Unfortunately, you probably don't have any before shots, but something is better than nothing.
Need PROOF, that she slandered you, and those casesd on't go far.

Mickhippy
06-19-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by teeca
contact your attoney and have a letter sent to her with a copy of the agreement that you had with her along with a copy of the amount she had paid for the work to be done. and state that what she is doing is called 'slander' and you will pursue civil suit aginst her if this continues.:D

This says it all!

John Gamba
06-19-2003, 08:07 PM
Send Her A Letter (Make It Look Like a Lawyer Sent It) Then Do what COS SAID!

John.

Harry0
06-19-2003, 08:53 PM
Keep doing quality work at a fair price and forget about the pain in the butt. You will just get aggravated and it will take focus off your work-people know this lady is a wack job and wont listen to her anyway-If you want to do anything do what cos and john say andwrite her a well thought out letter professionally addressing the rumors. -My .02-Harry

bobbygedd
06-19-2003, 09:15 PM
harry, u from the sayerville area?

cajuncutter
06-19-2003, 09:44 PM
I did this and it worked. ;)

Originally posted by teeca

tiedeman
06-19-2003, 11:35 PM
LGF has a point. How can you prove it? And how do you know that she is actually saying all of this stuff? You first need proof.

Frosty_03
06-19-2003, 11:42 PM
Get proof; Talk to a Lawer and have the lawer send a letter definding the word Slander!!!! Good Luck Dude. Has it hurt your business??? If Not let her go by the wayside.:cool:

Harry0
06-20-2003, 06:15 AM
No I am from Cape May County-Where it is supposed to rain AGAIN-AAAAAAALLLLLLLL DAY-Harry

bobbygedd
06-20-2003, 06:43 AM
well, i dont think id pursue it legally, it just kind of annoyed me that someone would make something like that up. i dont think that one person like her has the power to do any real damage to my business. in 2003 we changed the way we do business, alot of minor things that have turned out to make a very big difference for us, and as a result, we are getting many new clients by word of mouth, so hopefully the good "word of mouth", outlives the bad. how do i know she is talking trash? the guy i refered her to take over the lawn called me and said she told him this, and two of his customers also mentioned it to him. he is the kind to hang around and "shoot the breeze" with his clients, as where i watch every single minute and make it productive. certainly if it turns into a real problem, i will pursue it.

teeca
06-20-2003, 07:31 AM
lgf is correct in his statment, you do need proof, been there done that. however, a letter being sent is usally enough to scare them into keeping there mouth shut!

Gravely_Man
06-20-2003, 08:19 AM
Sorry to hear about this problem Bobby. I would just keep up the good work with the other customers and move on. Let your quality of work and your current customers speak for the type of work that you do.

Gravely_Man