PDA

View Full Version : Regrading

Kestas
06-19-2003, 07:18 PM
I just had my backyard excavated to replace 70' of sewer line. It was left rough-graded. The soil is all clay. You can imagine the devastation. This clay is nearly impossible to move. I still have to wait for the soil to settle back into the trench. What I'd like to know is the best method to finish grade the soil. Once that's done I'll have some topsoil delivered to spread over the clay and either sod or seed a new lawn. The area is about 30' by 70'. Are there services to finish grade such heavy soil?

wncjzpa
06-26-2003, 01:51 PM
I was in the same situation with a new septic system. Clay is impossible to move when it is hardened. Once the clay settled I filled in the holes/trenches with plain old fill dirt and then put a 3-4 inch layer of topsoil over it then reseeded. I have not had any problems and the grass is coming in fine.

ERIC ROBERGE
08-04-2003, 01:23 AM
I had a septic drainfield replaced 2 februarys ago. At the deepest part of the trench ( 8 feet ) the ground eventually settled 6 to 8 inches. I also have clay soil here in Loganville ,Ga.
If you regrade you may want to mound the soil a few inches over the trench. After a year of so it will probably settle close to level.

Mike Bradbury
08-06-2003, 03:53 AM
if you have clay in your area then any finish grader will be prepared to handle it.
We have heavy clay around here (NE IN) and my tractor and graderbox will move it no problem. If it's hard you put the scarifiers on and rip it to shreds. I'd charge $150 for that size job.