PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on a WeedMan Franchise?????

ChicagoLawn
06-19-2003, 08:09 PM
After 10 years in the lawn maintenance business I am seriously thinking of buying "into" a lawn care franchise.

I have been doing lawn care in house for about 3 years (prior 7 years sub-contracted to TruGreen/Chemlawn).

Anyone do any homework on the various lawn care franchises?

Where am I going wrong???? It seems that if you are "weak" in marketing it makes sense.

Thanks in advance,

ChicagoLawn

kickin sum grass
06-19-2003, 09:16 PM
there are 2 new weed man here in cincy. One is only a mile from me. That guy had a good size operation and then decided to buy weed man. I am not sure why. I would like to find out. I realize the are a support team and advertise etc. for you but you will always owe them money and have to make their numbers, answer to them when numbers are not good or growth rate is slow. It seems like you would be working for them rather than for yourself. It would always bother me to owe a percentage of my income to someone. It seems like you could take a loan for advertising heavy (billboards, tv, radio, etc) and increase your clientel and build a name for yourself. Once the debt is paid, the profit is all yours.

J&R
06-19-2003, 09:35 PM
I had US Lawns call me. with there offer they said there fee was 29,000.00 so i told them the first lawn i cut for them i would charge them 69,000.00

greensummer
06-19-2003, 10:01 PM
Weed Man does not send out flyers but are heavily into telemarketing.

Start your own.

;)

Enviro Green
06-19-2003, 10:34 PM
kickin sum grass

Amen, That's why I have my own. It might be nice to have the help at the beginning, but later on, you pay, and pay big time, what if you want to sell out?

EG

windmill
06-20-2003, 12:27 PM
We have a Weed Man in town as well. I think he is doing reasonably well as he has been around for a few years.
I don't know if I would want a franchise. I bought the my company last year and have increased my client list about 20% (I hope my profits also increase that much this year :) ). Do I advertise? NO. Although I'm in "the book" most of my increase is from present customers. Does that mean I'm good? NO. I'm probably no better than any of the other companies in town (well maybe a bit), but I provide the best service I am able to give and have a love for finding out new things. I'm smaller than the other companies but have an exuberant staff that likes what they're doing, they sell themselves. We have a great time each day we go out. What a blessing to have work, have fun at doing it, and have great staff.

cemars
06-20-2003, 10:19 PM
Franchising isn't for everyone but is worth a look. It is a fact that franchises have a much lower failure rate than independent start- ups. This is largely because franchises offer a proven system that if followed prevents many of the business killing or limiting mistakes that countless others have made. Most anyone can operate a lawn fertilizing business and eventually gross $100,000-125,000 or so if they work their rears off, but what then. With the system I am in I have reached $550,000 in 5 years and take home over $150k a year. I have a support network for business finance and accounting, software and administrative, marketing, employee management, group purchasing discounts for most everything I buy, technical support for materials and equipment, ongoing training for myself and my employees, and a large group of other owners to exchange ideas with and learn from. There is a leading franchise system based out of Plainfield, IL. that you may want to talk to. Send me an email ( cemars@mindspring.com) if you need additional info.

Good Luck. ;)

kaufmaninc
06-21-2003, 10:39 PM
I'm trying to send you email but won't work. I want to email/talk with you about franchising and the bennies. Could you please email me at kellyekaufman@hotmail.com so I can return reply?

azturfpro
06-22-2003, 04:43 PM
Hire a marketing man and pay him based on performance . I don't like the idea of buying a name because when a franchise in another state screws up you are the same as them in the consumers eyes . There are ways to get exposure like trade and home shows and giving away a little service and having the customer receiving the free work advertise for you . Most franchises are a bunch of smoke and mirrors . A friend of mine owns a U.S. Lawns franchise and gets almost no support and a lot of grief because he is not growing at the national average . Do it yourself or band together with another local company to give yourself a larger image in the market . There are many ways to grow without paying a franchise fee .