PDA

View Full Version : Buying New Blades

B&B LAWN
06-19-2003, 07:21 PM
HOW LONG DO YOU GUYS GO BEFORE BUYING A NEW SET OF BLADES

wriken
06-19-2003, 09:22 PM
could be from the second that I put them on(if I was to hit something) to about a season, I have alot of sand up here and I had a set last one full season They were in a rotation of probably 6 complete sets. The fins is what wears out on mine. my dealer got me some blades for heavy sand use, called bahlia (sp) blades

tiedeman
06-19-2003, 11:40 PM
like wriken said, it all depends on the conditions

DieselDeere
06-19-2003, 11:48 PM
How do you tell when they need to be replaced?

tiedeman
06-20-2003, 12:19 AM
we look at a couple of things. The angle of the blade; is it getting that bad to where the angle is impossible to sharpen. The corners on the blades; are they becoming rounded. And also we look at the fins, whether on high lifts or gater, to see how worn out they are getting. Those are all of the factors that we look for in the replacement of the blade

rodfather
06-20-2003, 05:41 PM
Rounded corners on your blades will not dischrge your clippings as well as a new blade will. If the corners are rounded, you will see a small, straight strip of clippings directly behind the mower as you work.

blairbuc
06-20-2003, 08:33 PM
the MagnaMatic guy told me the corner of that bade does all the cutting, and as Rodfather said, if its a nice sharp 90 deg. corner it cuts great. My problem is the blades go round in under 30 hours and I can't afford new blades every two weeks. I run them thru the MagniMatic but all I do is make my rounded leading edge round and sharp when what I really want is a 90 deg. point at the tip and sharp... Any of you guys know a trick other than buy new

TLS
06-20-2003, 11:00 PM
When they look like this!!!!

:D

Rustic Goat
06-21-2003, 01:27 AM
The technical specs I've seen say discard when 1/3 of metal is gone, (that's measuring from blade edge to blade back) if you can avoid hitting non-grass material that long.
My reality has been, blades round off way before that point. I always just keep them sharp, and when I can't get a definite corner anymore, replace.

BobR
06-21-2003, 07:53 AM
I purchase six sets of blades with a new machine, blades are changed daily and all are sharpened on the weekend. Your Mower Owners Manual should have a section with descriptions on what to look for in excessive blade wear (in this area it is erosion of the sail that prompts replacement).
BobR

AltaLawnCare
06-21-2003, 09:50 PM
Tommy and others using dedicated blade grinders...:

I thought the grinder would eliminate the round edge at the corner...I get that with my 4 1/2" grinder!

Does using one of those high priced B.G.s help keep a sharp corner longer?

:confused:

fatboy5803
06-21-2003, 10:57 PM
I use a Mag-8000 blade sharpener, and I get my edges a 90 degree always.. What I've found is the duller the blade ( round edge) the more you have to grind to make it square at the tip !
The blade sharpener will not keep a 90 degree edge longer.. Just depends what your cutting, I have a few lawns with allot of sandy areas, the blades take a beating with this, Bahia grass is Tough and will dull a blade quicker than good ol St. Augustine grass..
What a good sharpener will do is put a good edge in the least amount of time. Hope this helps.....

Lou :cool:

The Lawn Boy Pro
06-21-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by TLS
When they look like this!!!!

:D
Hey! Look like a few of mine! Wow, I like your new sharpening pattern too! NICE and strait:D JK!

chitwood
06-22-2003, 01:02 AM
I c-clamp mine down on the work bench and use a 4 1/2 in. side grinder. I try to remove enough metal to keep the entire cutting edge parallel to the front of the blade. This seems to work for me but I also use gator blades. They seem to last longer on the sand.

rodfather
06-22-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by AltaLawnCare
Does using one of those high priced B.G.s help keep a sharp corner longer?

:confused:

I have one that I use. Think it's a B.G. 120. Works very well in fact.

BobR
06-22-2003, 08:31 AM
FireBall Jr. -- Sharpened edge is parallel to the back edge of my blades, sharpening angle is whatever I desire (usually 37°). I did not pay $500 for rounded corners. Commercial grinders remove material very quickly so maintaining the factory fresh angles is very easy (blades are only used one day before they are put into the 'to do' pile) sharpening daily does not allow the blade end to become overly dull and it can be resharpened with only a few of passes through the grinder.
BobR