PDA

View Full Version : bid high, and got it!

LocalTouch
06-20-2003, 12:32 AM
Got a call to bid on a commercial property. Evaluated it, would take two of us less than 2 hours. Only challenge is the grade of the hill. Decided to bid very high, we have enough work, and would only take this on if it was REALLY worth the time. Gave bid of $250/week. Called back today. We got it. Old LCO was not very reliable. Not only are we getting a good weekly amount, property has several wildly overgrown areas he mentioned would be "special projects". Also wants snow removal!

B&B LAWN
06-20-2003, 12:49 AM
sounds like a good deal! good luck! and last can you give me some bidding tips.. how do u go about bidding on a property

GreenQuest Lawn
06-20-2003, 12:50 AM
Hey them are the best kind. ;)

tiedeman
06-20-2003, 01:45 AM
I love it when you bid high and they still bite on it.

Green in Idaho
06-20-2003, 01:58 AM
Nice. Please post after you've mowed it 3 times and let us know if the estimate of time was accurate or things you learned due to the hill.

Rustic Goat
06-20-2003, 03:24 AM
Leave it to the Green Mood Dude from Idaho to chase the visions of sugar plums out of ones head and gently lay an ice cold rag against your face, and say, WAKE UP!

Great if the account pans out the way you think it will, but like G-in-I says, 'check again after three cuts."

Do you ever get that impending feeling when things not only go too well, but then you get asked if you'd like two scoops with that.

Remsen1
06-20-2003, 12:51 PM
Your bid actually may have been the lowest. You've described a difficult terrain for $250 for 4 man hours. That's $62.50 per man hour. That is the standard price for some LCO's. With the difficult terrain that you described most LCOs in your league probably applied the same strategy that you did, but went even higher than you did.

It sounds like the contractee rejected the scrubs (if any bidded) then took the lowest of the professionals (you).

You aren't making the killing that you think but you landed a good job. When I read the title I was expecting to hear that you bid on a job that would normally gross $A per week, the customer asked you to bid, you were already too busy so you bid $A x 3, and they accepted.