PDA

View Full Version : Jig for sharpening blades

BrianWilson
06-20-2003, 01:01 AM
I just bought a bench grinder to sharpen my blades, has anyone ever tried to make a jig or something like that to keep the proper angle when sharpening the blades? Anyone have any idea's or input???

lawncare3
06-20-2003, 01:30 AM
No, I have a bench grinder that I bought for blades and I thought I got the hang of it but, then just statred using a file because I was tired of grinding off too much blade and too much stone. :(

Rustic Goat
06-20-2003, 02:10 AM
You need to do some searches on this sight, blades, sharpening, sharpeners, grinders, etc. This has been covered a multitude of times.

BrianWilson
06-20-2003, 07:43 AM
My apologies "Goat"????

Did the search and was not satisfied with the results.
So I thought I would dig a little deeper:):)

But keep giving us that great advise...

barnard
06-20-2003, 08:10 AM
Brian. If you search for blade sharpeners online you will see some that look like regular bench grinders. The difference being the rotation and the tool or work rest. I changed my grider to work in the same manner. Swap the stone covers from end to end. This puts the work opening in the back. turn your gringer around. You have effectively changed the rotation . If your grinder has adjustable tool rests you can nowset the angle to match your blade.

Gravely_Man
06-20-2003, 08:13 AM
I must have missed the posts about setting up a jig for sharpening. Many folks here use a dedicated blade sharpener but you could probably make something up to hold the proper angle for sharpening.

Gravely_Man

Rustic Goat
06-20-2003, 10:47 AM
I didn't say you were going to find blue prints for a jig you feel should exist, but there is enough information here to lead a searcher to realize what there is and has been. Even a very dangerous looking home made grinder attachment.
If you're an inventor/creator type, come up with a safe, universally attachable, multi angle, blade holder, 'jig' for use on bench grinders. You'll make a lot of money just off members of this site before going public.
Seems many here go for the idea of spending $700 to $1,000 on a certain brand of blade sharpener, can you make yours for about half that?
Apologies aren't necessary, you did not explain that you had already searched the site and what results you were and weren't happy with.

TLS
06-20-2003, 03:39 PM
After all, its able to be written off 100%

Spend your creative time inventing something that a company hasn't already perfected. After all your paying for their research and development.

Here's mine...

walker-talker
06-20-2003, 03:49 PM
Beware if you buy a Lesco or Neary blade grinder that the motor from the side. That is to say if you are sharpening left and right handed blades (i.e. Walker GHS blades) or doubles, you will have two different angles. Other blade grinders adjust the motor straight up and down having the same angle on both sides of the wheel.

Comprendas?
MATT

TLS
06-20-2003, 03:58 PM
The Fireball adjusts straight up and down like a drill press.

It has an un-interupted sharpening route, meaning no brackets that limit you to a 5" edge. The only thing preventing me from sharpening this blade till I get to to opposite lift wing is the wall behind the workbench!

For those with Walkers or other Left and Right hand cut blades, this IS one of your few options for sharpeners.