PDA

View Full Version : Very large bid small company

betts
06-20-2003, 01:08 AM
With in the next two weeks or so I am suppose to discuss taking over a very large facility in the neighborhood of 50 acres of mowed area, the contract right now is $22,000 I could do it for 20,000 or 21,000 per month, would this be wise for a small company and what type of equipment would ya'll suggest for the job. Right now two w/b. Thanks for the help.

Jeremy Betts
Betts landscaping

tiedeman
06-20-2003, 01:10 AM
if you can fit it into your schedule go for it. But you shouldn't judge your pricing of what it was before. Judge your pricing on what your time and energy is worth. If it is worth $23,000, then bid it at $23,000.

Phishook
06-20-2003, 01:36 AM
You say you can do it for $20-21,000, and you don't know what equipment you'll be using?

Better let this one go. At least until you can vote.

Rustic Goat
06-20-2003, 02:04 AM
betts,
Although this property possibly sounds your dream account, from what you describe & the way you present the facts about it, sounds like the fish is bigger than the boat!
$20- whatever dollar, just could be too low of a bid, especially when doing with 2w/bs.

You really need to be able to tell what your total cost of operation is going to be to bid this type of account. Definitely not like bidding a $35 lawn and realizing it's a little larger than you thought, oops!

Large commercial accounts can lock you in also.

STAN1366
06-20-2003, 11:04 PM
Sounds great, but....how'd you find out about it? Who are you going to talk to in 2 weeks about "taking over"? Do they pay monthly so you can purchase any additional equipment as needed? Do you have the vehicles to haul it to the site? Sounds like quite a bit of work to be asking of 2 - 48" w/b's not to mention the guy's "walking behind them! As easy as you can maybe get this account, how easy would it be to get out? It could be a fantastic oppurtunity for you and I don't mean to talk you out of it, just walk into it slowly. Good luck.

cos
06-20-2003, 11:08 PM
Does the kid even drive? Look at his profile!

I agree with Phishook.

Lawn Tek
06-20-2003, 11:18 PM
Dream on
No 48 W B' S aint the ticket

Jon99
06-20-2003, 11:22 PM
How long would it take two guys to mow 50 acres on 48" WB's????? Seems like that would be about 15 hours worth of sore hands, back and just about everything else...

Lakeview
06-21-2003, 05:10 AM
First of all find someone who will let you borrow the money for some larger equipment and take them to the equipment dealer with you. Explain what you are trying to accomplish to the dealer. The dealer will consider working with you because you will be purchasing equipment from him. If you are sucessfull then he will be sucessfull and he knows this.
He will be able to tell you what equipment will work the best and will also help give you an estimate on how much ground you can cover with what equipment in what amount of time. You and the dealer can determine the cost of mowing that much acreage.

Fantasy Lawns
06-21-2003, 11:13 AM
50 Acres for $20k ??? per month ..... is this cut every other day .... how many cuts in the season .... is it monthly year round income .... I'd move two guys up there for that kinda $$$

I really don't care what an operator is getting at the present time for a job .... I bid at my price ..... if I'm low oh well .... if I'm high so be it ..... either way I figure with what n whom I got at this time ..... never bid a job .... so you can get equip you DON'T have .... what happens when or if you lose the job ???

Also ..... n don't take this but anything but fact ..... I've NEVER delt with a commercial bid .... large at least .... when they don't request beyond the basics ($1-2 mill liability, W/C & comm vehicle insurance) but also list of references - equip list - # of employees or crews

cos
06-21-2003, 12:11 PM
I would assume there is extras in the contract. Not just mowing.

Albemarle Lawn
06-21-2003, 04:36 PM
I'm on the way. $440/ Acre = $100+ per acre per mow if its just mowing 4 times monthly.

There must be more to it, the numbers are WAY too high $ if its just mow/aerate/fert.

I think all BETTS are off...there is more to it... Probably includes chemical apps, sprinkler system maintenance, tree chemical care, tree pruning, parking lot maintenance, shrub maintenance and chemical control, etc. The dollar amount suggests full, turn-key service. Think about it... they could hire 5 full time employees at a good wage and also buy good equipment for that much $.

KB

David Haggerty
06-21-2003, 09:15 PM
http://www.thegpsstore.net/detail_GA00243.asp

Just carry it around the perimeter of a sod area, push the button and it gives you the square feet. To the fraction of a foot!

You cannot believe someone when they tell you the size of the area mowed. (Most don't have a clue and are only guessing)

I have an etrex vista GPS and I tell them how much sod they have. (If it suits me to tell them so.)
Like sometimes competitive bids are getting really close.
I just tell the property owner how much sod there really is to mow, and the other bids just fade away.

OH! you didn't think those bids were really secret did you?
Well that's just something else I'll have to tell you about when we're partners!:D :D :D

Albemarle Lawn may have a nice new mower but mine's bigger. :D :D :D

Really..... listen to Albemarle Lawn. He knows what it's all about.

Dave

BigEd
06-21-2003, 09:24 PM
You should get together with the other kids on here that have like 6 ztrs,3 trucks this that this that......

Indiana
06-21-2003, 11:17 PM
This trade is going into the sewer, kids bidding properties on a guess and a prayer.

No equipment and $21,000 a month....... PLEASE spare us.
:dizzy:

MCGRAIL LAWN
06-22-2003, 01:22 PM
You might be able to pull it off if you can get paid up front.
Then take that money and buy 3-4 ztrs. And a bid A** Trailer.

Then find your local scub service and train and hire them to mow you 50+ aceres.

May not make you any money the first year but does pay for all the equipment and labor copsts.

Then next year your only expense is reapair costs and labor.

Good Luck
Let Is Know If It Works Out

mdb landscaping
06-22-2003, 01:47 PM
hey dave, that gps system is a sweet little unit.......i could see myself with one of those down the line. is there a monthly fee to pay for having it?

Movinfr8
06-22-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by mdb landscaping
hey dave, that gps system is a sweet little unit.......i could see myself with one of those down the line. is there a monthly fee to pay for having it? I have a similar Gps. No monthly fees, untill about 2012, and by then they'll be driving our cars for us (probably) as well as landing planes (that technology already exists, but people are a little insecure if there isn't a live person in the cockpit)
Anywho, it is very easy to do the area size calculator, and very accurate.

David Haggerty
06-22-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Movinfr8

Anywho, it is very easy to do the area size calculator, and very accurate.

It may be easy, but that unit will do everything. Like you can switch from magnetic north to true north etc.
I wound up contacting Garmin to find how to operate the area calculator.

They said uhhh, Sir you go to the "area calculator" page and push the button.:blush: :blush: :blush:

I really like the unit now. Take it everywhere. Had it out in the Gulf of Mexico locating an artificial reef to go fishing.
Last time I used it was edging walks and curbs on a large job.
Just left it in my shirt pocket, and at the end of the job checked the odometer. 1.3 miles of curbs and walk edges. Of course it will also read in feet or meters or kilometers...

Dave