PDA

View Full Version : Demo, Lazer EPS, nice stuff

MOW ED
06-20-2003, 07:49 AM
Man am I confused now.

This is the last in a series of reviews by me and you folks are probably tired of reading them.

Did the Ferris IS3000.
Did the Super Z.

Yesterday did the 60 Lazer 26EFI EPS and really liked alot about it.
I was extermely impressed with the quality of cut from the deck. The thing handles clippings like no other and I have been on a few. The power was adequate with the 26EFI as I have one on a Walker and know what that engine does but I would say there were times when I heard it strain a little under real extreme grass loads.That is not a slam as some of this grass was 7-8" high and moist too.
My needs are probably like alot of you and the Lazer fits them well. I would be looking to get the Ultravac for spring and fall cleans and the kicker is that I don't want to get a new trailer.
I have to fit a Walker and a large Z on a 14'x 6.5 trailer. The Ultravac with a cloth bagger would do that (I would have to take the blower off).
I like the fact that the mower is established and it has many happy customers. It has alot of attatchments available like the striping roller and OCDC.
Now I am in a big quandry about comparing it to the Super Z. I want one of each.
The Super Z beats the Lazer in speed, hands down. The hydro motors are much bigger. I dont think I can cut at that speed but it sure is nice to have. It also is noticable that the bigger hydro motors move the machine with less effort than the smaller pumps. Not a slam at Lazer just an observation.

One thing for sure, for out and out mowing I really like both of them and it is sort of painful for me to get on the Walker. The Walker still has its place on my trailer because I have some hills and places where a Z don't fit but for most of my mowing I know that I soon will have a Lazer or a Super Z.

Convince me to buy the one you think is best.

MOW ED
06-20-2003, 07:50 AM
A pic.

kris
06-20-2003, 07:56 AM
Sounds like you are doing your homework Ed ... I don't see any mention of dealer support. If I were to find 2 machines that were comparable then dealer support, not price would sway my decision. A good dealer is "priceless".

John Gamba
06-20-2003, 08:03 AM
Stripping Roller!

John Gamba
06-20-2003, 08:08 AM
The ultravac Is Superior In Many Ways. 13.5 Bushels, The Blower is super Quiet, East To Clean Out. Bag as Fast As You Are Mowing.

Ed I'm Mounting the Blower to The Trailer to Make It easyer To Get and Put on. I'll Have Pics By Next Week.
John

John Gamba
06-20-2003, 08:13 AM
Ed Here Is The OCDC. I Have It Mounted With wing Nut's so when You Just Want To Let Clippings fly You Just Put it On.

When You want to Bag You Just Undo Two wing Nuts And Mount the Blower.
John.

FrankenScagMachines
06-20-2003, 09:37 AM
John can you please email me? I can't email or PM you from here :(

superman
06-20-2003, 11:36 AM
Ed, take a look at the Hustler bac vac that goes on the super Z. I think you will like it a lot. I have a 60" Super Z and love it. If I had to do over I wouldn't change a thing.

Keith
06-20-2003, 12:45 PM
I think you are looking at two of the best mowers out there. I bought an EPS, but I have every intention on demo-ing a Super Z at some point. I need to get two of my older machines back in good working order and sold. If I like the Super Z, heck I may end up with one of each (EPS and Super Z). It would be nice to have two, practically brand-new mowers :)

TLS
06-20-2003, 03:34 PM
Two of the best out there for sure!

Only thing you'd miss about the Super Z is the speed.!!!

Exmark needs to address this.

MowED,

What is your inside dimension (Width) of your trailer? You said its a 6.5" trailer. Thats 78", right? Well, the UV on a 60" deck is only 74.5".

The power unit is VERY easily removed (no tools at all) in about 18 seconds (give or take).

Nick
06-20-2003, 07:56 PM
Now you have to demo a xt 2800 Dixie Chopper and wonder why you didn't try it before the other brands.

Brieldo
06-20-2003, 08:56 PM
Until you're on your demo, get it on a customers' hill and it slides down uncontrollably leaving pleasant tire marks and uncut grass...

Stainless steel and 15mph cant cover up for a lack of engineering...

Nick
06-20-2003, 09:12 PM
You've done well, just as your told.

You have never ran a Dixie. bye

Nick
06-20-2003, 09:22 PM
Took stand on every little thing, but at least you tried.

TLS
06-20-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Brieldo

Stainless steel and 15mph cant cover up for a lack of engineering...

Unfortunate, but true!

I have used both and many others, and the above quote sums up my feelings toward DC. They're still using that 1989 calendar!

LawnSmith
06-21-2003, 12:00 AM
get on a scag Turf Tiger w/ 29hp Fuel Injected Kawi....

FWIW, i raced a friends Dixie today w/ my newest tiger and it was a dead heat. his has the 24hp honda and is a 60" cut.

so, this newest tiger does 12-13mph and my older ones(all '00-'02 models) do right at 10mph.

TLS
06-21-2003, 12:06 AM
Lawnsmith.

Unless SCAG changed something recently, the Turf Tiger goes 10mph. And the older Honda DC's went 10 mph also. Your older Turf Tigers probably went 8 as it was only a few years ago that they bumped it up to 10 mph.

The only SCAG that is faster is the Saber Tooth Tiger, and that goes 10.5mph.

LawnSmith
06-21-2003, 12:11 AM
nah, website says 10 for the tiger and 10.5 for the sabre. ive clocked them both w/ speedometers @ 10. my "older" tigers are all '00-'02 models 2 of wich have the 27lc kawi and another w/ 25kohler. they are all the dead on same speed. the newest one, '03 29hp DFI kawi leaves these in the dust.

my buddy's chopper is an '03 unit.

Movinfr8
06-21-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by LawnSmith
nah, website says 10 for the tiger and 10.5 for the sabre. ive clocked them both w/ speedometers @ 10. my "older" tigers are all '00-'02 models 2 of wich have the 27lc kawi and another w/ 25kohler. they are all the dead on same speed. the newest one, '03 29hp DFI kawi leaves these in the dust.

my buddy's chopper is an '03 unit.
Not wanting to get into an argument, but what kinda speedometer? in your truck? I doubt that you can tell a .5 mph difference at 10 mph with a analog (or digital) vehicle speedo. just too many variables. My GPSR, however tells me the accurate speed of my 12.5 horse Crapsman is exactly 3.4 mph:rolleyes:

LawnSmith
06-21-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Movinfr8
what kinda speedometer?

GPSR.

yup!

MOW ED
06-21-2003, 02:12 PM
Kris,
The funny thing about dealer support for these mowers is that it is the SAME dealer that sells both. They have a corner on the market. I am gonna be curious to see prices next week. They are a huge seller of Exmarks. Its their bread and butter but they are also a new Hustler dealer, 2 years or so. Their service dept is very nice. They are real busy as they are also a heavy farm implement dealer too. The service is very good. They are 20 minutes from my house.

John G,
I am liking that quality of cut thing alot. I also like the 13.5 bbls in that bagger. I have lots of thinking to do. Money isn't the #1 consideration. The thing handled clippings like nothing I have used yet. I would definately want a 28EFI.

keith has the best solution, I would love to be able to get one of each. The Hustler is a blast to drive at balls out speed. I have short hair and it actually was pushed backwards when I was flying down my street.

tommy,
I lied but it doesn't make a difference. My trailer is 6'3" inside the wood. I still know that an Ultravac is quick and easy to put on and off so the trailer width doesn't influence my decision.

Nick, as far as Dixie goes, I don't have a dealer anywhere near me anymore. A guy used to have them but couldn't sell them. I know for flat out mowing they cut like crazy. I saw EricELM's diesel a couple years ago and he was a magician on that machine. I know they aren't really great on hills but they do have some nice features.

Still lots of sleepless nights trying to weigh one over the other, Keith why did you go and say that:p

kris
06-21-2003, 04:49 PM
Sounds like a great dealer there Ed.

I can't comment on the machines ... we have exmark's but only walkbehinds with velkes. I did arrange for a demo, ... hopefully this coming thurs.
Personally I wouldn't consider anything but Exmark because the dealer here treats us like gold.

jsaunders
06-24-2003, 10:07 PM
Did you make a choice yet? I just picked up a Lazer EPS tonight for a 3 day demo:D I've demoed the Kubota, and Ferris is 3000, the ride on the Ferris is top notch. I wish I could take parts of each mower and make the best mower out there. I have yet to demo the super Z. That will hopefully be next week, then I will have to try to decide. Joel

crazygator
06-25-2003, 01:11 AM
Mow Ed,

When looking this year I had very very specific things I wanted and needed. I looked at both Hustler and Exmark. For me right now the Exmark met everything and then some.

But remember, you are looking at the 2 very best mowers for our business, plus both are highly backed by customer service and a great sales rep force.

I love my Lazer HP, but (with some minor changes) would own a Hustler just the same, and I think they are making a huge one in the leg room department.

Get some more sleepless nights and it will come to you. I dont think you could go wrong with either one though.

Just stop reading all those emails from Pete (switchless) and you will make the right decision......hahaha!
And also remember Pete wont let you buy anything less than the Super Z with the walk behind if you go with Hustler....LOL!