PDA

View Full Version : Help with backpack sprayer

Westbrooklawn
06-20-2003, 08:38 AM
I've gone through 3 Solo backpack sprayers in the last several years, and I'm getting tired of it. They develop leaks around the diaphragm, it runs down your back, drips where you don't want it to, etc.

The main purpose is to spray round-up and an occasional post emergent for broadleafs.

My question - has anyone found a superior backpack spayer in the 4 gal. range? I am not so concerned about price as I am quality. Any recommendations would be appreciated. What's the best one out there??????

AL Inc
06-20-2003, 09:07 AM
I have 3 Echo backpack sprayers and have not had a problem with any of them. They are the standard manual pump sprayers, not the ones with the small engine. I keep two for Round-up and one for Trimec. They've been used pretty heavily and I have no complaints. Mike

naturescape
06-20-2003, 09:09 AM
I love my Shindaiwa 4 G backpack sprayer.

ElephantNest
06-20-2003, 09:50 AM
My Solo is the same way. And NOONE around here will work on them, one guy said he couldn't even get one apart. Such a shame, too. because it worked very well when it worked. A shop here has the Shindaiwa 4 G for $79.99, is this a good price?

Westbrooklawn
06-20-2003, 09:58 AM
I haven't shopped around here for the Shindaiwa, so I don't know if that price is good, but compared to solo prices it seems good.

Has anyone used SP brand backpack sprayers? They advertise them as being "virtually leakproof" in their piston pump design. Best price seems to be about $119 for 4 gal. model.

Westbrooklawn
06-20-2003, 10:14 AM
Naturescape -

Do you have the commercial Shindaiwa with the brass piston, or the standard one with the plastic piston?

greenman
06-20-2003, 11:06 PM
Ive had good luck with the ones that Home Depot carries. Work well for me.

JDOG
06-21-2003, 12:11 AM
I use both the shindaiwas. backpack and hand held. They are both great. The handheld seems cheap at first, but its tough. Paid $99 for backpack nad $39 for handheld.

wooly34
06-21-2003, 02:37 AM
We use Eagle-1 backpack sprayers. The BP120AP is a a battery powered unit that sprays up to 40psi. The unit holds 4 gallons, the charge lasts all day, has a variable power output and doesn't make a sound. I have two of them and highly recommend one. A little pricey at $600.00 a unit but well worth it.

TurfPro
06-21-2003, 07:37 AM
My question - has anyone found a superior backpack sprayer in the 4 gal. range? I am not so concerned about price as I am quality. Any recommendations would be appreciated. What's the best one out there??????

Has anyone used SP brand backpack sprayers? They advertise them as being "virtually leakproof" in their piston pump design. Best price seems to be about $119 for 4 gal. model.

Westbrooklawn :

I went thru my share of Solo sprayers,,then I made the change to SP Systems and have yet to replace another...they are good B/P Sprayers for sure. I found that the straps were more comfortable and they fell more "heavy duty" all the way around. I use the SP2 piston(168 psi) for general use and the SPO (diaphram) for everything else.
Northerntool.com had some good prices on them awhile back.

kppurn
06-21-2003, 12:19 PM
I bought the SPO sprayer from Northern Tool at the beginning of this season and really like it so far. Price was $128.00 including shipping.

SamIV
06-21-2003, 07:04 PM
The Echo and SP sprayers look identical. I have the Echo and a Solo back pack. Although I don't use the Solo as much, have had more problems with the Echo. Replaced the O rings for the Echo in the spray gun handle twice, still leaks. The trigger jammed on me once while I was spraying beds with Round Up, didn't notice at first till it was too late. Had a nice dead strip of turf the next week.

Can't fill the Echo too much. Will leak out of the top on your back if you lean too far over. Has done this since day one. Don't have any of these problems with the Solo. The Solo doesn't hold as much, so I use the Echo more though.

Sam

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
06-21-2003, 11:21 PM
after having many of the same problems you guys have had with back packs i finally said screw it and bought to 25 Gal. tow-behinds. One guy driving the dixie chopper and one guy spraying beds. its at least 50% more productive that back packs and the good thing is you dont get tierd at all....Again we do mainly larger commercial jobs where we send a crew out just to do this and nothing else. Havent gone out very often with all the rain and wind.

grassguy_
06-22-2003, 12:38 AM
I've had similar problems with the solo b/p leaking at the diaphram, and down the back it goes. Have use a field king b/p and it works nice but bulky and not comfortable as the solo. Considering the other options as well, anyone with more input?

azturfpro
06-22-2003, 03:31 PM
After a few soakings with somw nasty chemicals I will never use solo sprayers again . I have switched to Birchmeier backpack sprayers . Birchmeier sprayers are the best you can buy and are very well built . When it's time for a rebuild , no problem it takes about 20 minutes and can be done in the field with only a few tools . If you are a pro applicator this is the tool that will make your job easier . The spray tip is adjustable from a hollow cone to a solid cone to a stream . They sell for about $250 but will last for many years . I have a birchmeier for three years that sprays 25 tanks a week and it still works . It takes about two hours to spray out a tank out of one of these so imagine how much you can spray .

saw man
06-23-2003, 07:54 PM
try www.maruyama-us.com
they have some nice units that dont leak

azturfpro
06-23-2003, 08:24 PM
Here are photos of the solution to all your backpack sprayer problems . This is a Birchmeier sprayer that is over two years old and is still going strong . This is the back view . The pump is outside of the tank and can be rebuilt in the field in just a few minutes . The little black knob below the hose attachment point is the lubrication system . You fill it with lithium grease and when the pumping action gets harder you just turn the knob a little .

azturfpro
06-23-2003, 08:28 PM
This is the backpad part of the sprayer . I can wear this thing for 10 hours a day with little discomfort . You can spray for up to two hours on one tank . It goes from a hollow cone to solid cone in the same nozzle . I have rebuilt this one four times and the wand still has the factory parts inside and does not leak . I know this sprayer does not look two years old but I never slop chemical on the backpad .

azturfpro
06-23-2003, 08:34 PM
Last one . This is the wand and nozzle . I get about six monthes out of a nozzle but that is better than the life span of the sprayers that I used before .