PDA

View Full Version : Good Vibrations?

Remsen1
06-20-2003, 03:11 PM
I've had this question alot, but never think of it while I'm in the forum. Finally I remember to ask it.

Do any of you have tricks for dealing with or reducing the vibration from trimming? If I trim for any length of time over say 5 minutes, when I am done I still vibrate. I've also noticed that my grip feels weak after trimming. The longer I trim the worse it gets and the longer it takes to get back to normal.

I run a John Deere trimmer, straight shaft dual string (can't remember the model). I've noticed this with all trimmer that I have used though. I was wondering if anybody has tried to do anything with the grips such as foam grips or rubber bushings or other tricks to absorb vibrations.

madmow
06-20-2003, 03:38 PM
I use the lowest level straight shaft trimmer echo has to offer. It takes care of grass and weeds no problem and I feel NO VIBRATIONS from it. Maybe you should invest in one of those. Maybe your John Deere engine is just tooo big. Just a thought though

ffemt1271
06-20-2003, 03:45 PM
put a piece of that pipe insulation on the front handle and also wear a pair if those gloves with the gel in the palms--think they are used for motorcycle racing or something like that.

Gravely_Man
06-20-2003, 03:46 PM
I can't remember if it is Lowe's or Home Deport but one of them sells gel filled gloves made for using chainsaws and they really help. You may want to buy a pair of these and use them with the trimmer.

Gravely_Man

stevieraysod
06-20-2003, 04:01 PM
Ever tried a shoulder strap? When I put the weight of the trimmer on my shoulder, I could loosen up my "death grip" somewhat. Seemed to help.

ProMo
06-20-2003, 08:42 PM
the only time vibration has bothered me is if the shaft gets dry make sure its greased

Rustic Goat
06-21-2003, 02:39 AM
I've been using a straight shaft JD trimmer for some time, only vibration other than normal 'the engine is running' is when one line breaks shorter than the other.

Make sure to load bottom of shaft (behind the large phillips head screw) with grease.

Check out www.safetydirect.com, they offer several 'real' anti-vibration and shock dissipating gloves that work very well, some offer wrist support too.

BobR
06-21-2003, 08:44 AM
Sounds like Carpal Tunnel (hope not), read your profile and see that you are relatively new to the business, my suggestion to you is to relax you are trying too hard and locking up your muscles, try holding the trimmer in different positions until you find the one that works for you. If you do not have a problem with the heft of your trimmer and do not use it for extended periods of time I would check out an edgit attachment (they call it a training wheel for trimmer operators). I started using one this year and was pleasantly surprised that it is one gimmick that works, have it attached to an Echo PAS 260 (you will need something around 25 or 26 cc to spin the extra line needed for trimming).
BobR

Doc Pete
06-21-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Remsen1
I've had this question alot, but never think of it while I'm in the forum. Finally I remember to ask it.

Do any of you have tricks for dealing with or reducing the vibration from trimming? .

Since I'm Mr. know it all, here's what I do. First, let's agree that weed whacking is trimming the grass the mower doesn't cut. Itís not brush cutting. OK, now run .065 line and nothing larger. It cuts better; itís super cheap, vibrates less from less weight and is less affected when the line (two line head) has broken and unequal length.
Next, buy the smallest head you can get. I use the stock two line head that comes with a Redmax or echo machine. Weight is always the name of the game for cutting vibrations. Next, ďBalance the headĒ. Yes, this makes a big difference. Start by drilling 5 equally space holes around the edge of the wacker head that will allow you to screw in a #10 short sheet metal screw. Then, install the screw in any of the holes and test the vibration. Continue by moving the screw into each hole and see what gives you the least vibration. Once you do this, try adding another screw to either side of the original and check if the vibration increases more or less.
Last you can buy insulation tape, which comes on a roll. Itís about ľ inch thick. Cover the weed wacker handle with 2 turns of the tape to isolate the vibration in the handle. Finally, Iíve been through 5 weed whackers and have settled on the Redmax BT225. Yes itís a bent shaft, but it has no gearbox in the bottom part to add more vibration to the whole system. Also, itís just smoother and much lighter than any straight shaft. And, for cemetery work nothing is faster.
Pete