PDA

View Full Version : lost any because of rain?

bobbygedd
06-20-2003, 04:26 PM
well, i lost my first customer today because i couldnt cut in the rain. she was due on tuesday, and still wasnt done as of 9 am this morning when she called to cancel. the messege:" hello, can someone call me back? well, on second thought, dont bother, i already got someone else. i dont know why u havnt come, i hear other companies mowing. and u know i have that new fert company, they keep spraying the lawn, and it makes it grow so fast. well, goodbye, and send a bill for what i owe. " boy, it was like the weight of the world was taken off my shoulders. a real pain in the butt customer, and i dont know what they put on her lawn, but it grows like 9 inches a week, and thick. im glad thats over. anyone else have customers upset because they couldnt cut the wet lawn?

John Gamba
06-20-2003, 04:35 PM
No, But I Do Charge For excessive Nitrogen.
John

bobbygedd
06-20-2003, 05:07 PM
do u really john? or you just messin with me? cus ill tell ya, sometimes this surge growth gets rediculous

rodfather
06-20-2003, 05:30 PM
Haven't lost any, just a couple of dumb-*** remarks like, "why can't you stay on a 7-day schedule?". My reply was, "look, if I had any say in the weather these days, I sure as hell wouldn't be mowing lawns for a living!"

I actually have come to think that some people think we do this as some hobby or form of entertainment.

bobbygedd
06-20-2003, 05:48 PM
yea, got a dumb remark mysekf this morning, as im mowing, man comes out:"let me ask you, what benefit is there for you to mow in the rain?" im like, well, it has to be done, or you want to wait till its 10 ft tall? it may rain next week too. they act like maybe i enjoy getting wet and picking up clumps and tripple cutting.

Rob T
06-20-2003, 05:59 PM
I think people blame us for booking so many customers that we cannot handle the load. The problem is that they don't understand the way this biz works. I don't think a customer could possibly understand how much more time is involved mowing wet lawns. And if you only booked enough customers so you could easily get through the week during spring, then come summer you would be sitting around with nothing to do for 4 days. People won't understand it unless they actually do it.

rodfather
06-20-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Rob T
I think people blame us for booking so many customers that we cannot handle the load. The problem is that they don't understand the way this biz works. I don't think a customer could possibly understand how much more time is involved mowing wet lawns. And if you only booked enough customers so you could easily get through the week during spring, then come summer you would be sitting around with nothing to do for 4 days. People won't understand it unless they actually do it.

Good analogy...99%+ don't have a clue what it's like for us. And I'm sure the same percentage could give a damn too.

ULTIMATE LAWN
06-20-2003, 06:33 PM
Never cut the larger accounts wet. Much better to wait for the turf to dry out, put double gators on the mowers & let fly.

Generally the crews are sent out on the smaller props with 21"'s at higher height settings if we must cut wet so they can easily tip & scrape throughout the day.

Turfdude
06-20-2003, 06:46 PM
I agree w/ Rob T.!

Fortunately as I have stated before, when we get behind, my landscape crew will jump in and mow as well as we have a spare 48 & 52 as well as 2 trimmers and edger. This week may be the first week we don't get 'em all done. If I can get in a 4-5 hour day tomorrow, we'll be cool. We started late Wednesday & Thursday due to rain, and today got done early due to rain. We have abot 25 leftover from Thurs & Friday which generally amount to nearly 100 accounts.

We've received more rain this month than all of last summer I think.

rodfather
06-20-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Turfdude

We've received more rain this month than all of last summer I think.

You re probably right, Bob. As of this morning, 6.85" for the month. And now we'll probably get another 2 inches or more before this storm system is done by Sunday afternoon. And June still has another week, too.

BTW, pontoons anyone???

General Grounds
06-20-2003, 07:26 PM
:blob3: bob, rodfather - had 1 call today wanted to know what are story is because we havent mowed his lawn on friday in a few weeks, and we should have been there today because it didnt really rain that hard today, ohhhhh, forgot about those wed. and thursdays we didnt get to yet, so many people have no clue at all, we also have taken our landscape crew mowing with us, its also put our sidework way behind as well. tony

oh yeah, there hasnt been a totally rain free weekend since march 3rd.

little green guy
06-20-2003, 08:39 PM
It sucks, we're completly backed up and off schedual. It seems like everyone is either hyped up because there getting cutt in the wrong days or because thier lawns are only half cut and if they are cut all the way there's dirt tracks. I love how everyone say "I understand the weather BUT..." Nobody realy seems to understand it. we've been cutting with 2 crews alota days and havn't been able to get landscape jobs done. I'm so backed up on landscape it's sick.

Gtotoy
06-20-2003, 10:21 PM
This year is the flip side of the coin,, we have lost three due to this season's precip. two have since called back, because they can't find a new service.. I just laughed at them!

General Grounds
06-20-2003, 11:25 PM
:blob3: green guy, i hear im so backed up on landscape work i can probably schedule for next april, thats probably when ill get to it. seems like the same 2 or 3 are calling and asking if ill be coming this week to trim, and cleanup, or when they call they say well it was nice today and nobody showed up, unbeleivable, they just dont want to get it. tony

paponte
06-21-2003, 12:15 AM
Yeah, we lost our first one today also. Woman tells me last week that I told her she would be cut on Wed. and we havent been there one Wed. yet. O told her to look outside at the weather every once and a while. Today she called (since it is now Friday, and it rained for the past 2 days) and tells me "don't bother coming this week... we no longer need your services".

It is just better to lose people like that. She wasn't worth the aggravation at all. Just one more house I don't have to try and finish between the rain drops! :cool:

roscioli
06-21-2003, 12:55 AM
I came within seconds of telling a customer to go F himself today because of this, he called me at HOME this morning. He called wednesday and left a message, then he called at 8 this morning on my business line, I called him back at 830 saying I would be there sometime this morning, after my meeting at 930. 1045 he calls me at home, and I told him I was just loading up to come to his house first.
I go to hook up the trailer, off a little bit, hop back in the truck and WHAM, smash the side of my head on the truck roof... i started to black out, but came back too before falling over.
That was just the beginning of my day... I get there, he says "If you want to keep this job, you will have to be here every seven days". I say "yeah, i am trying to, but when it rains 6/7 days, its a little difficult with 30 clients". That was the first time I was even close to being rude to a customer, but christ guy, THINK before you get mad at me.
Crappy day today, all sorts of stress,, just got back from working for the family, nice long day.... 830am-12am... fun. Got b__tched at more than once, but kept my cool somehow.
On a professional note- I will be sending appologies with all my bills this month, explaining that i do mow 30 lawns, and that it was extremely difficult to service them all on a timely schedule due to weather. If i wasnt so cheap I would send them now, separately, but i figure i can save a few bucks by sending them with the bills :)