PDA

View Full Version : how much cheaper will it be now?

bobbygedd
06-20-2003, 05:29 PM
hmmm, well, now that its impossible to get rid of grass, i sent notices out that we either discharge it, or it stays at their house. well, one client says, "how much cheaper will it be now, since youre not taking the grass?" im like, not! what do u boys think?

cos
06-20-2003, 05:39 PM
Think about what? What was the question again?

drobson
06-20-2003, 05:40 PM
I guess it depends on what is in their contract. If is states that clippings will be disposed of, then it should be done. Luckily I have a couple yards that have woods in the back that I can dispose of grass clippings, I make sure I do those last each day and dispose of all of them. On days where I don't have one, I bring them to the dump and pay the fee to get rid of the truckload of clippings.

TLS
06-20-2003, 05:42 PM
Looks like you created you own monster by REMOVING clippings in the first place.

You SHOULD have let them know that landfill prices went up and it will now be $XX.xx MORE for bagging while discharging will keep you at your current price.

bobbygedd
06-20-2003, 06:06 PM
but, im way ahead of you. the contract has a little spot for"price per cut", then there is a little spot for "disposal fee'. there is nothing in that little spot that says"disposal fee". u see, out of our 40 lawns, we only bag maybe 3. so i never bothered adding the fee, im getting quite enough to do the cut anyhow. but this particular lady feels that now that "she has to be burdened" by putting out the grass for the garbage man, she should be compensated. to tell u the truth, im almost sure that if i dont slash a couple bucks off, ill lose her, but, why should i discount it? what would u guys do?

Rob T
06-20-2003, 06:33 PM
:dizzy: Man...I have never heard someone b**** so much about there customers. Haven't you ever heard of customer satisfaction? Sounds to me like the customers are complaining for a reason. Maybe they are not happy w/you or your "contract" or your services? Maybe they feel they are already paying too much?

If you get this many unhappy customers there may be a need to reevaluate yourself and your company/polices. :rolleyes:

bobbygedd
06-20-2003, 06:42 PM
dude, this is a lawn forum, if i cant ***** to people who are in the business, who can i ***** to? i know im not the only one who gets stuff like this from thier clients, ive been to friends homes who are in this business, and have had the pleasure of listening to thier answering machines. it just amazes how customers come up with so much stuff to ***** about. u think im high? what would u charge for a 5500 k property, surrounded by fence, swimming pool, takes two(very well trained) men to do the job. o, dont tell me, the "going rate" is, let me guess, $25?

bobbygedd
06-20-2003, 06:45 PM
actually rob. how bout some sound advice? how would a "proffesional" such as yourself resolve the above matter?would u discount the price? continue to remove the grass, and, maybe dump in the woods at night? i dont get it, i asked for advice, do u have any?

Rob T
06-20-2003, 07:55 PM
A. You should lower the price if... you anticipated bagging when you priced the job, but now you refuse to bag.

B. You should not lower the price if... you priced the job solely on cutting and did not add in extra for the bagging, but the customer had you bagging anyway.

And since I know you don't do anything for FREE, "B" should not apply. So it sounds to me like you need to lower your price.

OR

C. You could just "burn" the customer because you did not put the pricing in your contract correctly and now they are "stuck" paying for something they are not receiving.

Only you know the answer to your question.

PS... don't mind me, I'm just cranky because of this D*** rain. Can't wait till summer to mow some burned out, dry, dead lawns.

smburgess
06-20-2003, 10:44 PM
I believe you've stepped in it a little bit. She is getting less for her money, I would lower the price accordingly.

Grassmechanic
06-20-2003, 10:46 PM
You could "sell" her on the benefits of returning the clippings to the lawn:)

Mike

greenman
06-21-2003, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Grassmechanic
You could "sell" her on the benefits of returning the clippings to the lawn:)

Mike

Tell her that you are converting to mulching, no more bagging, and that you have to decrease your speed just a little so its tit for tat. Takes the same amount of time. Mulching vs. taking time to empty bagger. Mulching can benefit as much as 4 ferts per year.

gogetter
06-21-2003, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
hmmm, well, now that its impossible to get rid of grass

Why, where were you taking it, and what happend to that?

Rustic Goat
06-21-2003, 01:31 AM
Don't take this the wrong way, don't mean it as a slam.
You sent out a notice, customer has a document from you stating that you're going to be doing less than you were hired for in the first place, and you wonder why you're asked about a reduction!
I know this is hind sight, why didn't you just have a chat with these three, results may have been the same, but maybe not.

Sounds like the real problem is one of attitude. You mentioned a 'spot' for a dumping fee like a magician sets up a trick. It's there, you can't see it, but it's really there if I want it to be.
Then you remarked about a midnight grass dump, now that's real professional.

Sounds like account was set up to remove clippings in first place, and you are either obligated to do that or renegotiate. You're the service provider, she's your client, come to terms you can both live with or walk away.

What is the deal with clipping removal?

Strawbridge Lawn
06-21-2003, 09:11 AM
I charge extra for bagging, but I don't habe to remove. I would include the removal charge with the bagging charge if I had to. If there was no bagging and I mulched I would charge less.
How much is up to you to decide. In my case it usually comes ut to about $5.00 difference, but it is size dependent.

ElephantNest
06-21-2003, 11:57 AM
Grass receives 60% of the needed nutrients from clippings.

Food for thought.

I have zero(0) yards that I bag.

( and I agree with Goat:eek: )

bobbygedd
06-21-2003, 12:31 PM
no, no "hidden " spots in the contracts. u see, i know that discharging clippings back will benefit the lawn, but some people dont want to hear it. so, in the contracts there is a price for the cut, and an area where i can add a disposal fee. since, there were only a couple that required disposal, i never even charged them for it. it was only a little grass, and i would take it to the dump when i had to go to dump branches, or brush, the guy never even charged me for it. so, u see, the "dumping fee" was complimentary, it was on me. we take alot of time to write up contracts, we cover all basis so there is never a problem. next to the signature line, it reads" i have read the above and fully understand and agree to its contents." then they sign it. but guess what, they never read it, they just sign it. then, when little things like this happen, they get in a huff. i cover every little thing in the contract, no need for guessing games. ill tell u what the biggest problem is, its the nature of this business. it is a nickle and dime type business. its the only business where you have to compete against other companies for a freakin dollar, or two dollars. in what other line of work, can the consumer get 2 or 3 grown men, to come to thier property with expensive equipment, and do something for $25, 30 bucks? you know what i mean? well, early this week when i went to my dump i told him 2 yds of brush, and 2 barrels of grass. he told me, leave the brush, take the grass home with ya. we are done taking grass, he was the last one in the area who would take it. so, thats that. anyhow its all been settled. called cust last night, apologized for the inconvenience, explained situation, and that we would be charging the same great price as always. no problem, thanks guys

DanG
06-21-2003, 11:14 PM
I know that if i have to get rid of the clippings off site that cost will be passed on to the customer. I make that clear to them right up front when they ask me to bag their lawn.
There's only one place near me that takes "Green Waste" ie: grass clippings, brush etc..
and they charge $25 for a pick up load and $40 for a 1 ton dump full of it and those are their minimum's.
If there is a spot on site I will put it there and not charge them any extra.

Dan

mtdman
06-21-2003, 11:53 PM
I don't bag anything. When I first started with little push mowers, I made the mistake of bagging for one woman, who would examine how much clippings we got and tried to pay less for less clippings. I don't bag anything now. If the clippings are extreme, I'll rake them up (at a price), but everything else gets discharged. I'd say about 90% of the competition about town does the same.