PDA

View Full Version : blower or mulching kit?

lildog132
06-20-2003, 06:12 PM
as of right now I discharge my clippings with my 36" scag. I was wondering if I should buy a back pack blower to spread out the clippings or should I just buy a mulching kit for my mower so it does the work?? Also how do I get a mulching kit? I just bought the mower, and it didn't come with any attachment to put on the side of it to mulch... Do you have to order those kind of parts online?

Scag48
06-20-2003, 06:33 PM
Do you have the Scag Advantage deck? If not, I don't believe you can put the mulching baffles on there. If you do, go order the baffles. BHB/FSM has more info on this as he did it himself. I'm sure he'll chime in evenutually. IMO, blowing the clippings with the blower is a PITA so do whatever you can to avoid doing that.

fatboy5803
06-20-2003, 06:35 PM
I have a Scag 36" and have a Mulch Kit. If the lawn is not wet, the cut is like being bagged. No clippings at all.. Thats my answer.
You can get the kits on line or your Scag dealer..

Lou
:cool:

Rustic Goat
06-21-2003, 02:51 AM
The Scag mulching kit, baffles that mount under the deck and a discharge chute block are available from any Scag dealer or Scag parts vendor. Go to the Scag web site to see.

If you are unsure of what type deck you have, take it by the Scag dealer, or look at your receipt, the Advantage deck is usually a separate line item or is listed as part of the description of the mower. There is usually a decal on the deck itself, naming what type you have.

Go with the mulching kit if at all possible, I've done the cut & blow thing before = time wasted.
Have cut some pretty tall and very wet grass with this set up and it chops it up so well it ends up just green powder, can't tell it isn't bagged. You'll be surprised.

Four Star
06-21-2003, 07:17 PM
I had the mulching kit on my Exmark 36" Metro, and when I started using it this year, it sucked. It would leave a strip of uncut grass in the middle of each column I did. When I took it to my dealer to have them look at it, they said its because I was using the mulch kit with grass that is too thick to be mulched, so I'd have to use regular blades and discharge, which is what I do now. It cuts 100 times better now, I just have a lot more blowing to do. Perhaps the Scag mulch kits are better?

mtdman
06-21-2003, 11:35 PM
I started in business with mulching everything. In 2000 I went to discharging everything. The grass I was cutting was long and wet, and ended up clumping up and laying on the lawn anyway. And it cut like **** with the mulcher on. I went to discharge, and use my backpack to blow any clumping. I figure I was blowing the big clumps left by the mulcher before, might as well blow smaller clumps through discharge. Lately with all the rain and length I've even been running without chutes on to get a better diffusion of the clippings.