PDA

View Full Version : how to learn weed control (pesticides)

jeff_0
06-20-2003, 09:45 PM
I do have a pesticide applicators license but i have very limited knowledge.. I work full time and have about 30 lawn contracts.. most are clost to a acre. I wanted to state doing this full time next year and i want to be able to put down pesticides and be knowledgeable about doing it... Does anyone know where to get training for about the different chemcials to use? any help would be appricated...

Grassmechanic
06-20-2003, 10:57 PM
Are you buddies with any lawnn spray companies? Maybe you could work for them part-time to learn the ropes.

Mike

windmill
06-21-2003, 12:36 AM
Or you can pose some questions on this forum or search to see if they've been asked before. Best thing to do is what Grassmechanic suggested. Getting that practical aspect is pretty important. I can't imagine having the certificate and being at someones house with a tank of material which you have calibrated and mixed according to the label but still wondering did I do this right or am I going to kill this client's lawn. Do it for someone else or have someone who has done this work with you until you have the confidence in doing it yourself.
I've done this for 25 years and still read the label every time before I do my first job with any material, even if I've used the material a thousand times. You never know if it's been changed.
Good luck.

hubb
06-21-2003, 12:40 AM
I'm not familiar with your area but here in MO we have an extension training program that has a integrated pest management program that has training classes about 6 or 7 times a year and they also will help with id'ing pests and recommending solutions to many problems. You might want to try to see if there is something similar in your area.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-21-2003, 12:42 AM
First off read the label, and read the cautions, plus only read the directions for the application you are going to do, specially with the pesticides, if for turf, only read the turf part, you can get really confused reading the entirety of mixing directions on the label.

I still get confused at times, seems like some professor wrote them for MENSA.

Also whom you buy the chemicals from should help you out immensely.

And if you don't know ask!!!!!!!! Always ask questions.

greenman
06-21-2003, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by hubb
I'm not familiar with your area but here in MO we have an extension training program that has a integrated pest management program that has training classes about 6 or 7 times a year and they also will help with id'ing pests and recommending solutions to many problems. You might want to try to see if there is something similar in your area.

Yes, we have courses here as well, at local college(s) offered through the Extension Office.

Fvstringpicker
06-21-2003, 03:54 PM
Two things would be helpful. First, determine the major turfgrasses and other plants you want to protect reletive to the zone you service. Second, determine the major type weeds you need to control. Do research, internet is good, on controlling the weed in respect to the turfgrass/plant type. Consider both pre and post emerg control. In my area, Lesco and the Extention Service are valuable resources. I've tried to limit myself to a minimum nuber for chemicals. Here, most of my psot emergent problems can be handled with 3-way/trimec or MSMA.

azturfpro
06-23-2003, 08:25 PM
greenbook.net is a great resource for learning .