PDA

View Full Version : Stihl FS 80, exhaust blowing up my arm

IrishHank
06-20-2003, 08:54 PM
Just bought a Stihl FS 80 today. It seemed like my Echo trimmers always had some problem. Anyway, the stihl runs alot smoother, and the power is definitely better. The only problem is that the exhaust seems to be blowing straight up my right sleeve. The dealer said this is normal....

Has anyone else experienced this? What is the solution, or should I just just get used to it?

Rain Sucks, so does Drought. Can't WIN!!!

Jimbo
06-20-2003, 10:13 PM
Are you left handed? I dont know how that is possible unless yoour holding it completely sideways???? Please elaborate on how your using it.

Jimbo

o-so-n-so
06-20-2003, 10:55 PM
My 80 will burn a small place on my arm if I trim out a large ditch and have to turn the power head at different angles. Other than that it never happens. I always wear short sleeves also.
Good Luck........

Grass Master
06-21-2003, 06:04 PM
Irish...

I was just curious....which Echo trimmers did you use?? I have found the opposite to be true..

when I switched to Echo SRM-260S units they were much smoother and more powerful than my old FS-85 Stihl units

PS....the Echo blowers are much more powerful as well

LawnMower
06-21-2003, 06:59 PM
I have the same Stihl that you do. I have a big ol burn mark on my right arm from the exhaust. Of course that could be do to the fact that the plastic guard is off. The muffler is right out there in the open. When the plastic was on, I never had a problem with the exhaust blowing up my sleeve.

IrishHank
06-21-2003, 07:05 PM
The exhaust is blowing out where the spark plug is. I am right handed, and I would like to think I hold the trimmer in the normal position. Previous to the FS 80 I used SRM 2100's. The power was low and they had too many malfunctions. My Echo blower still seems to do the trick though!

IrishHank
06-21-2003, 07:09 PM
By the way, I saw Toro has a line of trimmers and edgers out at our local hardware store. I use a 52" Z-master and I am satisfied with the Toro product so far. Have any of you guys heard about these. I am thinking they are marketing them to home owners, not commercial users. They seem pretty cheap.

Grass Master
06-21-2003, 07:50 PM
Irish,

Let me get this straight.....you went from a $199 Echo to a $259+ Stihl and you wonder why the Stihl has more power etc.?

Try buying the COMMERCIAL Echo units and you will find that they are much smother with more power than the Stihl units. The SRM-260 is the comparable model to what you have and it does not burn you and is lighter and quieter than the Stihl

IrishHank
06-21-2003, 08:01 PM
I don't woder why the stihl has more power. I am well aware that the size of the engine on the stihl is much larger compared to the echos I own. I was commenting on the difference in power between the two units. 4 cubic centi-liters does not seem like alot, but the difference is immense.

How long have you had your SRM-260? I ask because I am curious if of the longevity. My echos only are lasting about 2-3 years. Most of the guys I talked to say I can expect 5 years out of a Stihl.

Grass Master
06-21-2003, 08:11 PM
I have had Echo trimmers as long as 7 years without trouble....

I still own a SRM-2501 which has not been made for years...I buy the better quality Echo units and get great service from them.

LeoS818
06-22-2003, 12:05 AM
We got 7 very hard years out of 3 old stihl fs 76's.

Grass Master
06-22-2003, 06:33 AM
Leo,

Stihl did not make the FS-76....

If you look on the unit it will say MADE IN JAPAN!!

That is when Stihl had good machines before they started building them here in Virginia Beach....now they are average at best.

65hoss
06-22-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by IrishHank
Just bought a Stihl FS 80 today. The only problem is that the exhaust seems to be blowing straight up my right sleeve. The dealer said this is normal....

Has anyone else experienced this? What is the solution, or should I just just get used to it?

To get back to the real purpose of this tread...are you cuddling with the trimmer? Just kidding. I run all Stihl trimmers and don't have hot exhaust running up my arms. The exhaust goes straight out the back. Is the spark arrestor screen still in? If so, take it out. That may be directing exhaust more up than out. Me or my dealers always take them out before they even get cranked up.

LeoS818
06-24-2003, 07:39 PM
I dont understand you grass master. One time you say stihl didnt make an fs 76. Then you say they did. The owners manuel has a german address to write to in it. Many of the parts interchange with our newer fs 80s and fs 85s. Just bought a fs 110 last week. very nice trimmer

Grass Master
06-24-2003, 08:09 PM
Leo,

I never said that they did not have a model FS-76...However I did say that they did NOT make it.

It was made in Japan with all of the rest of the best trimmers on the market....Echo, RedMax etc.

The FS-76 will say "made in Japan" somewhere on it.....