PDA

View Full Version : Fried lawns 2003

GreenQuest Lawn
06-21-2003, 01:09 PM
Well with alot of you guys getting WAY too much rain, we here are getting not enough. Heck .7" from may 11 till now, (.5" fell on may 12)

Will be way worse if we can not get any rain next week (calling for a chance) temps will be in the upper 80's to 90deg.

Now some of these do have irrigation but can only water every other day.

Notice in this pic the one in the foreground is also my account but has good coverage on the irrigation. The burnt one in back did not get the irrigation turned on in time. I do not handle the water there and the owner sent a letter to his guy on May 5 and still no water.....looks like I may have it for irrigation next year.

GreenQuest Lawn
06-21-2003, 01:12 PM
close up.

GreenQuest Lawn
06-21-2003, 01:13 PM
Same situation, same company not getting water to this one.

MOW ED
06-21-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by GreenQuest Lawn
I do not handle the water there and the owner sent a letter to his guy on May 5 and still no water.....looks like I may have it for irrigation next year.

Rephrase that or add to it;

looks like you may have it for RENOVATION next year.

Man thats Toast:blob2:

GreenQuest Lawn
06-21-2003, 01:17 PM
This company will be going out of business soon so they did not turn on their water. With snowplowing its my biggest account. Which sucks but oh well. I mowed this a total of two times so far this year. It looks terrible cause it was long (they just call when they want it mowed and have a check waiting for me) and then it dried out. Just to show we have been dry for some time now.

GreenQuest Lawn
06-21-2003, 01:19 PM
looks like you may have it for RENOVATION next year.

Yea maybe, I think it will be ok if we get some water soon, It was green two weeks ago so just dormant for now. If we do not get any water in the next week or two things may start dying.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-21-2003, 03:13 PM
Even with all the rain we have and are still having, I am starting to see fried lawns, well parts of lawns already. None of which are any of mine yet.

mexiking
06-21-2003, 04:56 PM
ugh its painful to see those lawns quest

KenH
06-21-2003, 08:11 PM
It has rained the last 15 out of 19 days here.

greenman
06-21-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
Even with all the rain we have and are still having, I am starting to see fried lawns, well parts of lawns already. None of which are any of mine yet.

Sameway here. The Bermuda is fine, but the fescue is thinning with some dead grass, and the Zoysia is stressed too. Red thread and heat I guess. But its hasn't even really been 90 yet. Its not hot yet. Guess my tall fescue wont make it.:(

Harry0
06-22-2003, 05:02 AM
Even with all this rain and missed days i do not miss the "fryed look". We here in New Jersey were in a serious drought all of last year. Now it rains evry day and things are sooooo lush I never remember everything so green. I know fungus and wet grass is a pain but I would take it any day over crispy critter lawns-I feel bad for you guys -Harry

KirbysLawn
06-22-2003, 07:20 AM
Are you guys sure they are frying?? Could there be early disease problems? Dollar spot, leaf spot both will make fescue look like early drought problems. I had several people tell me they were having drought problems this year, every one was disease problems.

Green Pastures
06-22-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by KenH
It has rained the last 15 out of 19 days here.

Same here.

May was the wettest May in recorded Virginia history. June is proving to be the same.

Thank God though, last year was DRY!

azturfpro
06-23-2003, 08:04 PM
This is what happens in Phoenix when a snot nosed punk turns the flow control all the way off . I am so glad I get a 10%commission on every repair I sell:)

azturfpro
06-23-2003, 08:06 PM
Another shot from the same job .In this park they stole half of the valve parts . This is two weeks with no water .

greenman
06-23-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by KirbysLawn
Are you guys sure they are frying?? Could there be early disease problems? Dollar spot, leaf spot both will make fescue look like early drought problems. I had several people tell me they were having drought problems this year, every one was disease problems.

Mine looks like its dry. Has a grayish tint when its real hot out. Guess its just the grass stressed from the heat. I do have a BP problem, though. Dead grass/ grey looking grass circles and spots. I guess it wil go away on its own?

tiedeman
06-23-2003, 09:22 PM
I just posted a new thread about how dry it was for us today, 21 scheduled lawns and we only did 6 of them. I am praying for rain. We even did a drive around for the lawns schedule tomorrow, believe it or not out of 18 scheduled for tomorrow, only 2 really need it. OUCH!!!!!!

DLCS
06-23-2003, 09:29 PM
I don't think its quite that bad here yet but I'm not mowing all the lawns this week. If we don't get some measurable rain soon, we will be in trouble.:(

Phishook
06-24-2003, 04:08 PM
It's drying up quick here too. But not as bad as last year thankfully.

Time to get ready for the July-August *******.

FrankenScagMachines
06-24-2003, 05:16 PM
It's been real wet here, more now than in April when our season started. The lawns have grown more in the last two weeks than the first three weeks of the season when they were shooting up. However it's been several days since it rained so I think everyone will be getting a height raise this week, the higher it is the better and the more it grows the more I get paid!

MuskTurfKing
06-24-2003, 06:50 PM
We've actually been getting some rain here. We've got those dollar spots on our greens, a couple of em look like ****, but my boss supposedly sprayed em, so who knows when they'll be back healthy. But it has been hot, I've been bustin' my tail trying to get the water on them suckers and not gettin' pelted by golf balls. lol, chance of rain tonight, tomorrow and Thursday, dunno if I'm happy bout that or not, if it rains, I don't get paid. :(

Hank