PDA

View Full Version : echo edger wants to die

curry
06-21-2003, 04:06 PM
I have an Echo edger. It is starving for gas when I try to get more rpms out of it. Those of you who use stick edgers know that when you edge and mud gets in where the blade turns and slows it down until you clean it out, thats what it seems like its doing(although no dirt or mud is clogging it). Would a tune-up kit do the trick for this problem? Is the fuel filter in the gas tank? Thanks

TurfGuyTX
06-21-2003, 04:39 PM
It sounds like carbon build up to me. A tune up kit couldn't hurt though. Good luck.

Grass Master
06-21-2003, 05:58 PM
Curry..

you either have an exhaust screen on your muffler that is plugged from a bad gas or bad oil mixture or the vent on your gas tank is not functioning properly...

I have a PE-2601 edger and it kicks butt.....I did have the same problem and it was the exhaust screen...after I clleaned the screen I switched to Echo oil and 89/93 octane gas...the problem has never returned!

Good luck!!

BobR
06-21-2003, 09:30 PM
remove the spark arrestor on the muffler (either clean it or toss it) you will probably find it clogged with carbon, caused by overly rich gas / oil mix or prolonged low rpm operation.. I always use High Test Gas in my mix and my 4 cycle equipment..
BobR

Lawn Tek
06-21-2003, 09:44 PM
clogged screen
air filter
fuel filter
my guess , needs carb kit
also check for pin hole in fuel line

Hud
06-21-2003, 10:12 PM
Here're some things you might want to try in the order you might want to try them:

1. Make sure air filter is clean.
2. Replace fuel vent. Often when the fuel vent is clogged, after you've tried to accelerate the engine and it bogged down, you'll hear a small "pop" (caused by vacuum in the tank) when you pull the vent off its hose.
3. Replace fuel filter.
4. Check exhaust port, muffler, and spark arrester for carbon buildup. If necessary, clean. Maybe it's just very good luck or always using PerfectMix, but I've never had this problem. YMMV
5. Check crankcase/crankshaft seals: one behind pull rope and one behind rotor. Over time, they dry out, crack, and allow air to get into the crankcase. Check the one behind the pull rope first 'cause it's easier to get to.
6. Clean carb. Install rebuild kit.
7. And if I had to do #7, I'd install a new spark plug.

Hud
06-21-2003, 10:26 PM
Yes, the fuel filter is in the tank.

Jason Pallas
06-21-2003, 10:35 PM
My money is on clogged spark arrester or pinhole in the fuel feed line.

Albemarle Lawn
06-22-2003, 12:20 AM
Grant it its last and only wish.

12-Ga. Shotgun heavy load.

Take it out to a field and aim for the engine.

Don't forget to fill the tank with gas first, then built a small fire with wood kindling.

Set the motor end in the fire.

Take a dozen few steps back, aim, fire!

It will knock the piston clean out of the block in a ball of fire!!!

:angry: