PDA

View Full Version : Scag Canopy completed

Jimbo
06-21-2003, 06:44 PM
Well I finally had time to complete the Canopy I have been working on for the past few months. This was intended to keep the heat off me in the summer, but it might be useful with all this rain we are getting.

Jimbo

P.S. Total of 5 pics so its going to take some time to post them all.

Jimbo
06-21-2003, 06:45 PM

Jimbo
06-21-2003, 06:47 PM

Jimbo
06-21-2003, 06:49 PM

Jimbo
06-21-2003, 06:50 PM
Last one

Piedmont Lawn
06-21-2003, 07:17 PM
Jimbo,

It look's real good, do you notice if it is any louder now while seated under the canopy ?

Later
Klez

LawnSmith
06-21-2003, 07:21 PM
my only question is, how do you keep your equipment so clean? my newest tiger is just barely a month old and it looks more like 10 years old.

BTW, that canopy looks like the bottom of a wheelbarrow.....

ULTIMATE LAWN
06-21-2003, 07:23 PM
Adds weight & reduces trimability. Bad move.

roscioli
06-21-2003, 07:29 PM
Another useful post by ultimate...
Looks good, is it strong enough to consider a ROPS?

Mr_Marc
06-21-2003, 07:51 PM
Jimbo

Is the top made of fiberglass? And what happens on the highway? Do you notice any drag when it's on the trailer?

Great idea! But I would have made it out of removable canvas to avoid trailering problems if it is a problem...

kris
06-21-2003, 08:07 PM
Looks like you put some thought and nice work into it!

However I think ultimate and others have some valid questions ...does it reduce spots where you could once get to?

ULTIMATE LAWN
06-21-2003, 08:17 PM
Try a hat.

http://www.tilley.com/shop3.asp?productno=LTM7&detail=low&path=root\Tilley_Hats

fatboy5803
06-21-2003, 08:28 PM
Jimbo,
Looks real good.. Give us more info on this.. Whats it made out of, how does it trailer, Good job, Looks like it's from the factory..

Lou :cool:

gogetter
06-21-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by ULTIMATE LAWN
Adds weight & reduces trimability. Bad move.

You are such a complete *******! Why is that?

KenH
06-21-2003, 08:41 PM
Looks professional. Great job. How about going under trees and such???

Jimmy348
06-21-2003, 09:26 PM
Looks professional to me
Good job!

David Haggerty
06-21-2003, 09:38 PM
Everybody's going to want one. :D

I used to have a canopy on my Howard Price HP 180.
I miss not having one on the Toro 580-D
The one on the Howard was fixed.
I don't know if the ones for the 580 are fixed or hinged like on a tractor to fold down when necessary.
I'm going to try to find a used one.

Dave

The Green Way
06-21-2003, 10:28 PM
That's outstanding! Make a few more and sell them :)

Jimbo
06-21-2003, 10:48 PM
Let me try to answer some questions (hope I dont miss any).

1. Yes it will reduce the trimming ability on properties where there are low trees. When I designed this I could only think of two places that I currently go where it will be a problem (more weed-eating due to low limbs). Basically this is my wide open machine so it should not be a problem. If it is a problem the top and frame slide out of larger square tube which is mounted to the machines frame. It weighs about 70lbs, and it would take 2 minutes to remove. I did not take photos of the mounts but I will so you understand. This was mostly for days over 90 degrees anyway.

2. Hat?? No way I hate hats because they make you hot. A canopy keeps you up to 15 degrees cooler when in the sun, and no sun burn on the face or neck.

3. I am going to take a test drive tomorrow to find out how it trailers. I think it will be fine because its pretty sturdy, and it doesnt appear to me that it will catch a great deal of wind. I will update you tomorrow. If trailering would be a problem I can always remove the two bolts that hold the top and frame, and the top would drop down almost onto the seat for a low profile. This is a two minute job.

4. ROPS it is not.

5. It is made out of a fiberglass top with 1" foam sandwiched in the very center between the layers of fiberglass. The top was actually cut out of a camper top from an S-10 pickup truck. I had been looking for something to use and this had the perfect angles on the front to make it look factory.
The tube is 1" square, and it mounts at the frame into larger square tube for easy installation and removal.

. I keep equipment clean by washing it
:D

Jimbo

Jimbo
06-21-2003, 11:04 PM
It didnt seem any louder under the canopy without hearing protection on. I wear hearing protection when I am mowing so it wont make a difference if it is louder though.

Heres a pic of the quick attachment area.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-21-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by roscioli
Another useful post by ultimate...
He's mad cause they wouldn't let him back in the trailer park after he tried to tell the neighbor, he smoked more crack than him.

Jim it does look good, but low hanging obstacles you won't be able to get under.

BUT I will tell you what, I would take that canopy any day of the week vrs the sun beating down on me and take the lumps in time of not being able to get under everything.

And of course that is you choice to mount on the mower not ULTIMATE IDOITS. Can't be a bad move to you, only bad to a nincompoop who likes goofy hats and lack of thought process..

FrankenScagMachines
06-21-2003, 11:48 PM
Looks good, wouldn't work for me but hope it works well for you. Here's a trick- weld those nuts to the 1x1 frame with the bolt tight and then weld a wing nut on the head of the bolt after you loosen the bolt after welding the regular nut, then you can have an even quicker no tools mount w/o worrying about losing the nut. Or better yet use one of those pins that has a wire bail that goes around that frame and slips over the other end of the pin, so then it's very quick and easy and harder to lose :) I like to make things as quick and easy as possible LOL just a thought. The little bail-pin things can be easily had at a hardware store. I don't know what they're called but they're very handy I use them on toolboxes, on the trailer latch, etc.

Darryl G
06-22-2003, 03:39 AM
I know that farmers with canopies usually trailer it backwards...less likely to rip off if it catches some wind since the edge to the wind will be the one that is supported.

longviewlawncare
06-22-2003, 04:54 AM
definitely trailer it back-wards. I have seen the affects of trailering a canopy forward. Got some new golf course equipment dealer brought it in when he showed up, 2 pieces hand no canopy's but the mounts were still there. Looks great though, good job jimbo

lahanko
06-22-2003, 07:12 AM
Looks real good.
I would add front supports.
A lot of downward force on the two rear supports when bouncing along the lawn or field, especially over time.

Navig8r
06-22-2003, 10:29 AM
Jimbo... Looks real good :drinkup: ......got me to thinkin it would be easy to mount the same sort of setup on my Lazer..... into the Ultra-Vac mount location........... but I really wouldn't have much use for a canopy.. would get in my way more than not. Great design and great build!... I would agree, however, that some front supports, or maybe diagonals of some sort from part way forward, would add some rigidity to the design, and help with long-term support. Just an idea.

Ultimate...... That hat you suggested would work real well with my hearing protection............. NOT!

I currently wear a baseball style cap from Columbia Sportswear... all Nylon, with vented sides, and a Terry Cloth head-band... Anybody who wears a baseball style cap while workin should check one of these out.... Very Cool :cool: and dries real quick.

TLS
06-22-2003, 10:57 AM
Jimbo,

Nice work. VERY professional. I'm sure it will work for you very well.

I wouldn't be able to use it however. WAY too many tree branches for me to go under. When I bought my first JD F-935 it had the ROPS bar. I figured, cool, I'll leave it on for safety's sake. Well, that lasted about 2 hours when I slammed into a rather large branch and broke the branch off the tree! Off it came only to collect dust until I sold the mower.

As for the aerodynamic's....Thats a perfect shape for a lift wing! If you drive down the highway and see your SCAG lifting and floating above your trailer, you'll have to make some modifications! :D J/K

But I would be concerned about it starting to flutter and eventually weakening the fiberglass where you bolted it down.

I personally don't go over 45mph with my trailer anyway (All back roads) so maybe your the same and the wind won't become an issue.

Would have come in handy this year as an umbrella!

Good Luck.

BHB is probably WAY jealous of you!

;)

65hoss
06-22-2003, 10:59 AM
Very nice work. Very nice.

FrankenScagMachines
06-22-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by TLS
BHB is probably WAY jealous of you!

;)
No, not the least bit, it would be in my way entirely too much, otherwise I'd have already made one LOL

On a side note, TLS you should be an engineer. I'm reminded of this every time I read one of your posts LOL.

DLCS
06-22-2003, 04:49 PM
I'd have that canopy tore off on the first lawn I mowed.:p I have ahard enough time remembering when I have the bagger on to watch out. I think one of those would be great if you mowed open lots all the time. The canopy looks very good though just not for me.

Scag48
06-22-2003, 04:50 PM
We need one for W/B's...BHB get on it! I wan't one in Exmark red :D

Jim-Looks great! If i didn't know any better, I would say you bought it from a dealer. Trailer backwards and maybe add some front support, I think that will beef it up a little. Good job!

Jimbo
06-23-2003, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the replies and input everyone.

I trailered it (facing front) early Sunday morning and I took it up to 80 for about 1/2 mile (No problems). The top shook only slightly (probably not much more than the mower, but its easier to see the canopy move so it catches your eye more).
I am not going to add any extra support at this time. I think the design it pretty good and I feel confident it will hold up. If it was only one layer of fiberglass I would be concerned, but it is over an inch thick where I mounted it to the frame.

I cut one property and I found a tree that had limbs which hit the canopy. I trimmed the limbs free of charge and had no other problems. Keep in mind that I am 5' 10" and when I stand beside the canopy it comes to the bottom of my chin. If you are cutting props that have limbs lower than 5' they probably need trimmed anyway- unless it is a very small tree.

The top did its job in the sun and I didnt have any problems. The canopy is within the footprint of the mower, so it worked out great around building and things.

The only improvement I made was I drilled a hole on each lower support, and welded a nut in place. then I ran a bolt in through the hole to tighten against the 1" frame. This really tightened up the structure and keeps it from ratteling around on bumpy areas.
I will take a photo tonight if anyone is curious about that final modification??

Jimbo

Mr_Marc
06-23-2003, 11:26 AM
Please Do. Now you got me thinking! LOL

lawn perfection
06-23-2003, 05:19 PM
JIMBO, LOOKS GREAT. VERY NICE FOR WIDE OPEN MOWING.

Green in Idaho
06-23-2003, 05:55 PM
How about wingnuts instead of hex to eliminate need of finding that darn wrench.

Nice.

And if it does catch wind, maybe it'll make the mower less weighty. You know, like a wing that gently lifts the mower up... :p jus kidding.

Funny that the picture shows it's RAINING. :mad:

How about attaching a sign to the back of it for your business? IF mowing high vis places, like along a main road, it could be good visual advertisement. Nothing huge, just a foot high to say the name or something.... "Got Grass? XXX-$$$$"

BSDeality
06-23-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by FrankenScagMachines
Or better yet use one of those pins that has a wire bail that goes around that frame and slips over the other end of the pin, so then it's very quick and easy and harder to lose :)

I think it would rattle too much if it wasn't a fixed design. it'd be pretty simple to make a little pocket to keep a wrench in right on the support arm.

I like it, very professional looking. Like GID said, i'd put your phone number or something on the back of it :)

rixtag
06-23-2003, 08:21 PM
Very nice and a clean install too:)

Just a suggestion....maybe a white bullseye on the top, just to see if those birds really do have a good aim:D

Gunner
06-23-2003, 09:45 PM
Jimbo,

How about using some type of "quick pins" to attach the canopy legs to the mounting bracket? Looks like that would cut your canopy removal time from 2 minutes down to less than 30 seconds.

Just a thought.

Gunner

Jimbo
06-24-2003, 04:56 PM
Heres a photo of the final modification. On the bottom rear of the support tube I drilled a thru hole and welded a nut over the hole. Then I ran a bolt in the nut thru the hole, which pushed against the frame. As you can see there is also a locking nut on the bolt that backs down against the welded nut.

Even with the modification I can take it off with one 9/16" wrench in about 3 minutes. I wont be taking it off much if at all so its no big deal. I wouldnt rely on a wing nut to secure it due to the vibration but it did cross my mind.

Quick pins would rattle too much. Its very solid with the final mod and it does not rattle. We will have to see how the long term testing goes.

Jimbo

P.S. I need to get a bolt that is about an inch shorter and fully threaded...that will be the final mod!! Had to use what was available at the time.

Jimbo

chitwood
06-24-2003, 05:55 PM
Jimbo,
My bimini top on my boat has two straps on the lead edge for tension, you may want something like that for added support while trailering.{or rope} I think it looks great.:)

Jimbo
06-24-2003, 06:01 PM
chitwood- If i do that I would probably put an eye bolt on the upper frame and use a tie down.
It has not been necessary so we will see.

Jimbo

sdwally
06-25-2003, 10:02 AM
Looks good. We have the Saber Tooth Tigers with factory ROPS that we added an after market canopy from our John Deere dealer. After painting the white canopy to match Scag colors they look like a factory item. We've had not problem with them being trailered, only low lying tree branches that the operators get to close to.

Jimbo
06-25-2003, 04:33 PM
sdwally- Do you have any photos? Just curious how a purchased one compares and how it looks mounted to a factory ROPS system on the bigger machine.
How much $$ do you have in the Canopys you used (if you dont mind me asking)?

Jimbo

UGA
06-25-2003, 04:56 PM
VERY NICE! So how much do you have invested in this project? It definitely looks factory. Do you clean with a pressure washer or a degreaser or both or what? ;that mower really does look brand new.

4000-D
06-25-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo
Just curious how a purchased one compares and how it looks mounted to a factory ROPS system on the bigger machine.

I don't have a Canopy but this site http://www.sun-guard.com/ has some for comparison.

I wish I had an overhead operator fan like one of these http://www.cooltops.com/ but I mow under too many low branches.

Gr grass n Hi tides
06-25-2003, 10:23 PM
The canopy is great !!! I'm quite sure (as you said) that while you put all of the time and energy into this project that you did, somewhere along the line you thought of potential problems such as low tree limbs. Obviously, this is a great addition to your mower and does not make for less productivity on your jobs. Even if it is a minor detractor, I'm sure it's worth the trade off.

It's remarkable to me how ULTIMATELAWN will be the only negative poster on a thread. He drops in, lays an egg, then drops out & you don't hear from the guy again until he trys to rain on another parade. He enjoys it, and for that reason from here on out I won't make any more comments about HIS negative comments. Maybe if all of us did the same thing he would just go away.

Lakeview
06-25-2003, 11:35 PM
Can you mount a couple of fans under it for those real hot days.

Jimbo
06-26-2003, 01:09 PM
The only thing I had to buy was paint and a few bolts (about $27.00). If I had to buy everything (except the top) I would say probably around $50.00??? The canopy was cut out of a camper top so you cant just go out and buy that.

It took one full days labor to complete.

Jimbo

sdwally
06-26-2003, 06:37 PM
Here a couple of photos for you Jimbo. Canopy was under $200 each from our dealer. Canopy bolted right to the ROPS with no modifications. Newer style ROPS require some modification to the canopy braces, since ROPS is at an angle.

sdwally
06-26-2003, 06:39 PM
Photo 2, different angle

TLS
06-26-2003, 06:43 PM
sdwally,

Whats with all the suitcase weights on the front?

Ain't those SaberTooth's heavy enough as it is?

These canopies would be great if I were mowing all open areas.

Most of my properties have branches that come to the top of my seat back. I lift my armrest up then lean over to one side and drive right under them. No way would the customers want the trees trimmed up.....even for free!

rob1325
06-26-2003, 09:38 PM
sdwally,
Thats a awesome mower!!!

sdwally
06-27-2003, 10:17 AM
After demoing various units mowing some steep hillsides in a cemetery that gets mowed with these units, we selected the Scag Saber Tooth Tigers. Only one problem had to be addressed. With the 31hp turbo diesel engine the front end would bunny hop on the hillsides. To correct this problem the weight kit was added, normally is used in conjunction with the bagging option on a smaller Scag. This corrected the problem of the safety issue on the hillside. That engine has so much power that if you engage the blades at half to full throttle, it doesn't even pull the engine down at all. We run these units with mulching kits all the time.

Jimbo
06-27-2003, 01:37 PM
sdwally- Thanks for the pictures. I should have asked before I started designing mine because it looks very similar. I like the lights too. I think the JD canopy would be a little too big for the Cub though.

Jimbo

lugnut#6
06-27-2003, 02:58 PM
wow what a shop

ho5tile
05-24-2006, 07:26 AM
5. It is made out of a fiberglass top with 1" foam sandwiched in the very center between the layers of fiberglass. The top was actually cut out of a camper top from an S-10 pickup truck.

Jimbo[/QUOTE]

I got my camper top yesterday, the guy said it was free if I would get it out of his way so I couldn't argue about the price. I think this is a great idea and will be making my own this week! One question though, what did you use to cut this thing....jig saw , sawz all, skill saw or what?

outlaw1960
05-24-2006, 09:38 AM
nicely done, both look great!

easycareacres
05-24-2006, 10:03 AM
super canopy make couple for me please.
wouldnt bother asking scag for nout

Brendan Smith
05-24-2006, 10:52 AM
one word - sweeeeeeeeeet!!!:walking: :cool2: