PDA

View Full Version : mower winch?

fblandscape
06-22-2003, 01:13 AM
Anybody ever mounted a winch on their ZTR's? I was just thinking about this today while mowing in the rain. Figured it would help for those times when you get stuck, or what have you.

David Haggerty
06-22-2003, 07:53 AM
Anything that's affordable I wouldn't want.

I was stuck a couple of days ago. Soft spot down by some woods. The Toro 580-D dropped into a hole about a foot deep.
My old come-a-long was at my son-in-law's. So I went to TSC and bought a new 2 ton one for $15. With my son feathering the traction pedal it pulled it right out. And the Toro weighs 6600#

I have a couple of small chains. For the long pulls I have a piece of 1/4" cable. It's a lot lighter than chain and easier to carry.

Dave

Albemarle Lawn
06-22-2003, 10:33 AM
Two weeks ago at a large farm (actually, commercial thoroughbred horse operation) I got my JD 1600 stuck up to the hubs in pure, genuine Horseshit.

I also went to TSC and also bought a 2-ton "come-along."

We inched it out 1 fence-post at a time for 2 hours then gave up and called in a big JD farm tractor to pull it out.

It was the first real stuck event with that machine. I guess I have been getting over-confident and its really wet.

W.A.M.'s are nice but they can turn a minor mistake into a huge P.I.T.A.

the scaper
06-22-2003, 02:17 PM
i've slid off into no no land several times, i just always keep a two ton comealong and 100ft of rope in the truck. it came in real handy about three days ago:D

olkeith
06-28-2003, 11:39 PM
I use a boat winch, have it mounted to a 2" square tube that fits into a standard 2" receiver hitch. My Dixie Chopper has a 2" receiver on the rear so I can pull from the Chopper, from the truck or from any tree or stump that is within reach. The boat winch uses nylon strap so it is very light and stores in my truck box. Works well for loading or pulling a mower that won't start onto my trailer as well since I have also welded a 2" receiver on the front rail of my trailer.

bob
06-28-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Albemarle Lawn
I got my JD 1600

Does this mower have four wheel drive?

longviewlawncare
06-29-2003, 12:15 AM
i believe the jd 1600's come standard with 4 wheel drive. I know all the other W.A.M.'s do. I learned along time ago that 4 wheel drive does not keep me from getting things stuck though.:D I think sometimes i almost get over confident having 4 wheel drive. Anyway to the subject of winches, i bought a $89 power winch from Northern Tool that fits on a 2" ball. Or i hook a piece of small chain onto the mower frame and can pull the Z out of about anywhere. I think it is a good thing to have on your truck.

fblandscape
06-29-2003, 12:25 AM
The reason I brought this thread up is because I mow a property with a friend and I don't think one week has gone by where at least one of the machines haven't got stuck to some degree. Today was BAD. Only 1 machine got stuck, but it got stuck 2 times and doubled our cutting time on this property :angry: The machine has a 72" deck and is pretty darn heavy. I would think that a winch mounted to the front of the deck would work wonders as there are so many trees around this place to hook up to.

FrankenScagMachines
06-29-2003, 12:27 AM
Come Along

fblandscape
06-29-2003, 12:36 AM
But to use a come-along you have to go back to the truck and get it, get a rope, and a sling to put around whatever you want to attach the come-along to. Now you have to put the sling around your anchor, attach the come-along to it, thread the rope into the come-along, attach the rope to the machine, take up the slack, crank it out, loosen rope, untie from machine, take rope out of come-along, take come-along off of sling, take sling off of anchor, take all 3 back to truck.

Winch: extend cable, wrap cable around suitable anchor, pull machine in from operator's chair. Get off machine, let slack into the winch cable, unwrap cable, wind up cable and go. If it is too far for the winch cable, get rope and use as bridge between fully extended winch cable and anchor.

FrankenScagMachines
06-29-2003, 12:40 AM
Then get a winch, I don't care. I was simply stating what I used...
The come along isn't as complicated as you want to make it ;) it has it's own pulley on it to reduce pulling load on you and increase end power. I don't use an "anchor" I use a ratcheting strap to extend reach to nearest tree, pole or whatever. But I only have this kind of problem on one account and thats because it has table rock 1 1/2' below the grass and NEVER drains. i can't wait to mow it when we have a 6 week drought this summer :D

the scaper
06-29-2003, 11:29 AM
the times i've been stuck it has taken 10 to 15 minutes to get out with a come a long. the come a long cost me 20 bucks i think and i all ready had the rope. usually with some good tension on the rope i can drive the mower right out. the only thing i use a winch for is cooking dinner and washing clothes :D

lahanko
06-29-2003, 11:42 AM
A come-along would work from the front or the back depending what is around to hook onto.
A winch is somewhat limited.

the scaper
06-29-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by lahanko
A come-along would work from the front or the back depending what is around to hook onto.
A winch is somewhat limited. great point, you must be married too! :D

lahanko
06-29-2003, 12:13 PM
I stuck the Z twice yesterday, the wife pulled me out both times with the 650 JD 4x4 backhoe.

the scaper
06-29-2003, 08:06 PM
ummm, that was a joke..... get it?

Potomac Lawns Inc.
06-29-2003, 10:41 PM
I think i have everyone beat in terms of things used to get a ztr out. Friday one of my guys was cutting at a gravel pit i maintain and got a little to close to the ditch and well it got stuck, my jd f735 coud not get it out. So my friends at the gravel pit got a 30 ton crane out there and got here right out only wish i coulda got pictures..

Steve :dizzy:

the scaper
06-29-2003, 10:49 PM
thats a thread winner, i wish i could keep one of those in my truck :D

Throgmorton
06-30-2003, 09:57 AM
I bought an electric winch from northern tool. 30' cable with remote control.

the scaper
07-03-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Throgmorton
I bought an electric winch from northern tool. 30' cable with remote control. how much? have you mounted it on your mower? if so, what kind of mower do you have?

olkeith
07-05-2003, 12:12 AM
Just one of the many attachments I have made to fit the 2" receivers I have mounted on my truck, Chopper, lawn trailer and tractor.