PDA

View Full Version : Exmark/Bobcat/Gravely/J Thomas blades

Envy Lawn Service
06-22-2003, 01:40 AM
My mower is a 48" w/ 16 1/4 L x 5/8 center hole. This is the same as Bobcat and Exmark. So I was thinking of trying some of their blades here and there as I need new ones.

I'm always up for trying something different. I've got 3 different styles of blades for it on the truck already. I was thinking about trying that Bobcat "offset" blade, The Exmark "wave" mulchers and the Excaliber blades. Anyone recommend a blade to try 1st?

Does anyone have pictures of any of these blades? Please post them if you do.

Also, Gravely has some cool blades. The mulchers and the marbain steel. Could someone comment on rather or not they are the same size and if they are good blades.

Anyone use J Thomas blades? The prices are good. Are the blades?

Thanks everyone!

TLS
06-22-2003, 01:47 AM
Exmark Excalibur

Solid foil

OR

Notched foil

Not much more than aftermarket cheapies of unknown quality.

Albemarle Lawn
06-22-2003, 10:46 AM
They are ridiculously expensive, don't stand a chance against rocks just like any other blade, and are nearly impossible to sharpen to a correct pattern. Not to mention they trash your bench-grinder wheels and potentially burn you when sharpening with little gobs of really hot molten metal when sharpening.

KB

Navig8r
06-22-2003, 10:47 AM
Had good luck with J-thomas last year for blades.... but blades I got this year for my eXmark were different and NO GOOD!

Ordered 6 hi-lifts...... 5 of them were "crowned"; significantly higher in the center than then ends....... a couple were over a 1/4" difference! Sent them back (No problem there.. great customer service) and ordered new ones from Landscaper Supply.

KLMlawn
06-22-2003, 01:07 PM
I would stay away from the offset Bobcat blades ... have tried them before with no real satisfactory outcome.
I have and still do use the Exmark older style wave mulchers and have had reasonably good results on all of my mowers.
As for the Excalibers ... I cannot comment, but if all they are is a regular blade or a Gator type mulcher with an elongated cutting edge, then I could say I use them too ... I have made my cutting edges longer than standard now for a few years ... the first time the blade meets the grinder.