PDA

View Full Version : two man treatment crews, efficient?

grassguy_
06-22-2003, 01:02 AM
How many of you use a two-man treatment crew? Does it work as an efficient system or does it actually eat you in labor cost? Since summer is now here and the heat will be coming I'm wondering in an effort to keep productivity up as well as doing a better quality job, is it worth the investment to bring someone on new to assist on a truck? Figure this would be the best time of year to train new help with insects, weeds, etc.. and yet if you find you don't need them come end of summer then you are at least better off when the fall crunch hits with aerations and other services that need done. Thanks for any input!

azturfpro
06-22-2003, 02:52 AM
If you have a large amount of hose pulling to do a helper does help . I sprayed a large HOA last week with 256 front yards in about 6 hours . The previous application at the same site by my self took 14 hours . I use a low $ per hour worker to move the truck for me so I can spray like a madman .

rkk95
06-22-2003, 09:33 PM
In my opinion two man crews are not worth it, every one that works with us goes out and does 400k per day, unless they are in neighborhoods with very small lawns. but in that case they will do between 45 and 50 lawns. Why should you pay two guys to do it when one can? If there were two guys they would have to come back and refill the truck, that would take some time, depending on how far from the shop they were working that day, and sometimes we do refill during the day anyway.

The Lawn Crew
06-23-2003, 12:40 AM
$400 a day seems low. $1000/day is the norm in a higher-end, affluent area.

We run a two-man crew. One spreads the fert, the other patrols the lawn for weeds with a backpack.

We can do lawn and tree apps from our vehicle, so on tree only accounts, one sprays while the other pulls hose.

Whichever one finishes first on the lawn apps flags the lawn and delivers the invoice.

One man cannot match a two-man crew in terms of quality and quantity.

atwood5
06-23-2003, 09:50 AM
We used to run exclusivley 2 man crews. after downsizing to low volume sprayers, we found that the added production value did not justify the second man. Our 1 man crews can do $5500 - $6000 per week. A 2 man crew will do about $6500 a week. All we were doing was paying for the helper. Profitablity, headaches and accountablilty all improved when we switched to 1 man trucks.

rkk95
06-23-2003, 04:35 PM
400k means 400 thousand square feet a day, not $400 a day, I wouldn't send a guy out to make $400 a day. 1200 gallon tanks at 3 gallons per thousand. Normal income is between $1800 and $2200 per day.

grassguy_
06-23-2003, 08:54 PM
400K a day seems unrealistic for our routes possibly 300K. Unless Your lawns avg. 30K+ plus good density, I can't see how 400K can be done without jeopardizing quality. I was thinking like Lawn Crew was stating that one man dry while the other backpacked the weeds, if this method justifies the added person. Can you get the best quality and afford the added help. We even have ride-ons that can knock down the dry and spotting but think that if one man was doing the paperwork and spotting you could get even more done. Any more opinoins greatly appreciated.

rkk95
06-24-2003, 04:32 PM
we are reguarded as the best in the area, we have very tight routs usually do about 70% of each neighborhood, chem-lawn, lawn doctor, and scotts can't touch us. I don't think that it is unrealistic, I see it every day. We don't rush through our lawns, we take the time to talk with the customers if needed, and just keep on going until we're done. Lide I said before why have two people do the same thing that one person can do.

dan deutekom
06-24-2003, 06:21 PM
Depends on the jobs. For large jobs we would use a 2 man crew because our sprayer is equipped with 2 hoses and reels. Park the truck in a central area and go at it. On small subdivision lots 1 man was just as productive in a day as a 2 man crew. Most of the time spent spraying subdivision lots is in unreeling and reeling in hose. Better just to have one hose out.

grassguy_
06-27-2003, 10:05 PM
rkk95,
You definitely have a great market down there from my understanding, so With density 400 probably isn't unrealistic. I'm just trying to figure producitivity wise having 2 per truck when drive time and density aren't so beneficial. I've got ride-ons so getting work done is faster but still paperwork and spotting cost time. Is there efficiency gain by having that extra person on the truck I'm not so sure.

rkk95
06-28-2003, 08:12 AM
I'm not sure on that, but it only takes me about 30 seconds to fill out the paperwork, put an envelope, and a brochure about the treatment in a bag that hangs on the door. we don't use ride ons. We have one, it has only been used on our own properties, I don't think that some of our customers would like us going out and charging them 400-500 dollars and being done in 20 minutes. We use Scotts spreaders when we are doing granular applications. Have you had any complaints from customers, what do you do if the ground is very wet? I have had spreaders sinking in some places this year, I would hate to see what would have happened if I were on a perma green rideon.

grassguy_
06-29-2003, 09:13 PM
We carry both the ride-on and the push spreader, there are yards that we are better to do with the push and especially when it was extremely wet last month, push was the only way to do some. Actually the ride-ons have made some guys a little to lazy so with the summer we're using the psuhes more since they need to spot more, especially edges.