PDA

View Full Version : Ok, already worried... What should I do????

Jon99
06-22-2003, 05:37 AM
My brother called the other day and the good news is he is getting married and he wants me to be his best man... The bad news is the wedding is April 9 at Disney World and he is planning on us being down for the whole week before, so we will be down there from April 2-9th... Here in Illinois thats border line to start the mowing season and a period when new customers will call.. As a solo, how can I handle this???

David Haggerty
06-22-2003, 06:27 AM
I always plan to be home by St. Patrick's Day
With a name like Haggerty it's almost a religious holiday.:D

I'd fly down for the day. And skip the whole week of being absent.
Shoppping for tickets early it's suprising how cheaply you can fly to Florida. Unlesss those dates interfer with spring break, or bike week, or race week...

Dave

Strawbridge Lawn
06-22-2003, 07:57 AM
Vacations are tough in this business especially for 1 and 2 man operations. I take a week every summer and let the customers know a month or so in advance. I cram the schedule just prior to going and hit it as soon as I get back. I don't think I could do it in the spring though with such rapid growth rates. I typically wait til Late July through Late August. with slower growth rates.

Harry0
06-22-2003, 08:16 AM
I would tell him to change his plans-My family knows that from March to July I am working and can do no trips or family get togethers-It is crunch time for us-But come the end of December(my favorite time of year)it is total down time(not much snow ). This is when we go on cruises or up to the mountains skiiing or visit out of state relatives. Oh well I can go on and on. Harry

geogunn
06-22-2003, 08:48 AM
I say wait and see what happens. it's a long time 'till the wedding.:eek:

GEO

Fine Lines Lawn
06-22-2003, 09:12 AM
Bump the wedding earlier. Does your brother not know what you do for a living?

kris
06-22-2003, 09:17 AM
Brothers probably so "in love" he doesn't realize this is going to harm your business.
Pass on being the best man …just a pain in the azz anyway and fly down for a weekend party.

Albemarle Lawn
06-22-2003, 10:21 AM
Hire an answering service/ have calls forwarded to a friend or family.

Or, take a cell phone with you and have calls forwarded.

Focus this year on developing an employee you can trust to handle the grunt work in your absence.

Also, shorten your trip. Fly out at night when you leave, shorten the duration of your stay, then fly back early A.M. departure out of ORF and get either a nonstop or tight connection, hit the ground running as soon as you are back.

Not much fun but you gotta do what you gotta do.

KB

Jon99
06-22-2003, 10:31 AM
The thing is, I really can't as when we got married a few years ago he bascally did the same thing for me, we got married in late April in Jamaica and he farms so it was a big hassle for him...

This year I didn't mow anything until April 17...If anything does need to be mowed that week I have a guy that I trust to take care of it, plus my phone calls transfer to my cell phone so I can take calls in Florida pretty easy...

I know its not a great situation, but something I need to bite the bullet for...

roscioli
06-22-2003, 10:39 AM
In my opinion vacation and weekends are much more important than my business, that is just the way I prioritize. My sanity comes above the success of my business. Go and enjoy.
If you cant have your calls forwarded, or hire an answering service, just leave a message on your machine saying "I will be attending my brothers wedding in florida from april 2 to april 9, and will return all calls on april, thank you very much for understanding. How important is growth for you this year? You might miss a few people, but your brothers wedding is far more important, unless you have children that are going hungry.

Jon99
06-22-2003, 10:46 AM
I agree 100%, when we told our 4 year old son that we were going to Disney his eyes completely lit up because he remembered the last time we went... How can a father say no to that???

Rich's Lawn Care
06-22-2003, 11:15 AM
i agree with roscioli, your family and you kids come first. we took are kids to disney last february and the look on your sons face will make you forget about mowing lawns.

FiremanMike
06-22-2003, 01:56 PM
Have a great time in Florida. :D. Family first. I just got back from camping. Did my commercials on Monday...camped from Mon to Fri and did my residentials on Fri and Sat. Check out Church Street Station while down there. Lots of fun!! I was stationed there for 2 years. Also, there is a restaurant that is in a little private airport there. You can sit there and watch the planes come and go, and listen to the tower traffic. Just for something different....