PDA

View Full Version : Fast, fast, fast, fast!!

KirbysLawn
09-25-2000, 11:44 PM
Today when arriving at my third aeration job I noticed a white Pontiac Bonniville sitting across the street. Laying beside the trunk on the ground was 2 1-gallon spray tanks, a trimmer, and other lawn tools. A man waas mowing with a 21" mower and his wife was spraying "something" on the grass. Wonder if they were licensed?

I hopped on the 52" Chariot and mowed, then trimmed, edged, aerated, overseeded, fertilized, and was blowing of the drive when he was putting his mower in the trunk.

Thank God for productive, reliable machines! :)

Ray

Twotoros
09-25-2000, 11:50 PM
I spotted a subaru sw down my road with a mower ,trimmer and plastic bags stuffed with clippings. I should feel guilty for driving around in my truck with all the room in the world in it and no clippings.

BUSHMASTER
09-25-2000, 11:51 PM
at least he he senc enough to have a full size car

nysnowman
09-26-2000, 01:10 AM
Dont you just love fly by nights.

Sammy
09-26-2000, 01:25 AM
Maybe his new '01 Stroker was in the shop for service and he was unable to pull his 32' cargo trailer full of eXmarks. His dedication to the industry made him get his wife out and help him to satisfy customers needs of a nice lawn.

pottstim
09-26-2000, 03:02 AM
I was on vacation last week at my old hometown, Elmira, NY. One of the afternoons while i was there, i drove down the hardware store to pick up some supplies to do some painting at my Grandmother's house. One the way there, i came up on this guy riding a bicycle. Behind his bike was a beat up old 20" Murray pushmower. He had a rope tied to the handlebar of the mower, and the other end was tied to the little rack on the back of his bike. The rope was every bit of 4 feet long, so he had a ton of slack in it. When he came to a stop, the mower would crash into the back tire on his bike. Seeing this reminded me of a pic someone posted in here recently of a boy pulling equipment behind his bike. I'll have to admit, that boy's rig was sure a lot better than what this guy had. I got quite a chuckle out of this one.

Tim

Eric ELM
09-26-2000, 07:33 AM
http://elms.bizland.com/scrub.jpg

geogunn
09-26-2000, 07:41 AM
that guy on the bike is sure carrying a lot of gas for a push mower! I dont carry that much for the ole lesco!

GEO

lawrence stone
09-26-2000, 07:49 AM
Kirby wrote:

>Wonder if they were licensed?

In PA you need to display a "BU" to identify yourself.

I am going to carry my digital camera with me so I can take pics of the offending scrubs and forward them via e-mail to
the dept of ag. These scrubs are like a cancer you need to keep them out of your service area.

Kirby wrote also:

>Thank God for productive, reliable machines!

God does not make productive reliable machines TORO does!!

Speaking of productivity my two 52" Toro’s have the left side of the deck offset by 14 inches. This is great for sucking the mulch out of the beds and driving around in circles which is the essence of residential mowing.

BTW Kirby does your mower have an offset deck?

Eric ELM
09-26-2000, 07:51 AM
Geo, I think that is for weight to hold down the back of the trailer to keep it from bouncing. Paul, the one that took the picture said this guy looked like he was in his thirty's, so he isn't a young kid.

lawrence stone
09-26-2000, 07:53 AM
GEO wrote:

>that guy on the bike is sure carrying a lot of gas for a push mower

That's not gas but fuel oil and 46-0-0.

Can't you see the sign on the side of the bike?

DBA "Unibomber Lawn Care"

eggy
09-26-2000, 10:20 AM
Was that in your area.....Its a classic!!!!!!! OK OK it was me hahaha...the gas prices got to us.....

bob
09-26-2000, 12:07 PM
Thats a great picture!! His trimmer rack must be on the other side of the "trailer"! :)

eslawns
09-26-2000, 01:59 PM
Maybe he lost his license for some reason. In VA they'll take away your license for lots of things, including not paying your child support. I must say my ex has been much better about paying me than I expected her to be.

Getmow
09-26-2000, 04:03 PM
eslawns, where in SE VA are you?? we might be neighbors. I am in Hampton

curlawngreen
09-26-2000, 04:32 PM
My brother is in Woodbridge

Ricky
09-26-2000, 04:49 PM
I was going down the road the other day when I saw a car pulling a push mower that was tied to the inside of the trunk. Maybe he didn't want it in his trunk or maybe it came out. Either way he was clipping along pretty good. This was on a rural road with a speed limit of 55.

Ricky
In His (lawn) Service

Toroguy
09-26-2000, 05:14 PM
I hope the bicyclist has a small route.

Stone, UnaBom was against technology, he would have used a non power push reel mower.

The trailer would be nice for a kid starting out.

Good Spy shot!

pottstim
09-26-2000, 05:17 PM
Yep Eric..that's the pic i was referring to. At Least that little guy had a trailer..LOL

Tim

[Edited by pottstim on 09-26-2000 at 09:20 PM]

Twotoros
09-26-2000, 06:52 PM
L. Stone wrote>'I am going to carry my digital camera with me so I can take pics of the offending scrubs and forward them via e-mail to the dept of ag.'

What a great idea thanks . I was thinking of a way to wage war and that is good. I have spoke to my state revenue nazis and they said they have no manpower to look for unlicensed services . They have my number however I waste no time putting out their greedy little claws when it is pay up time.

Banzaitoy
09-26-2000, 08:18 PM
I'm soooooo glad we all started out with Infinite wisdom and a MAster Gardener Certificate along with 2 DC's , a Turbo Diesel Overpriced Pickemup and a 24' Enclosed trailer.

lawnMaster5000
09-27-2000, 12:05 PM
thank you Banzaitoy,

I thought we supported people that were trying to start out in this business. I know that i started out like those guys. I may have only been 13, but everyone has to start somewhere.

Turf Kutter
09-27-2000, 01:30 PM
I saw three kids this past summer, two of them had gas cans in their hands and the other was driving a k-mart walkbehind with a wagon tied on to the handle.He was using as a sulky it was pretty funny they were going down the sidewalk wasting gas.

KirbysLawn
09-27-2000, 04:46 PM
Lawnmaster5000 & Banzaitoy, not sure if tose comments were for me, I was not knocking him for working (except for spraying) and I did not call him a scrub. My point was how much better commercial lawn equipment is v/s 21" mowing.

The point being, if you are currently mowing with a 21" mower thinking you can't afford a bigger mower, think again!

BTY, I agree with your comments just wanted to make sure I wasn't misunderstood.

Ray

BUSHMASTER
09-27-2000, 06:42 PM
I like that ......he,s got some money in the trailer i think those plant carts run about $175. good pitcure...

lawrence stone
09-27-2000, 06:59 PM
He could scrap the whole set up it he had a 32" toro recycler (eXmark deck) with little homemade sit on sulky.

There are aftermarket racks that can hold a trimmer and blower to the mower.

Add a $10 plastic hand spreader and 25 lbs of fertilizer
with two old squirt bottles for round up and momentum and
provide full service with equal instalment monthly billings.

In PA it is not against the law to operate a small mower on
the street.

Anybody can make money even if they don't or can't
(6 dui's) drive. There is no excuse in this time of excess
to be poor.

Twotoros
09-27-2000, 07:43 PM
I could care less if someone uses an oxcart and a pair of scissors to work with as long as they pay tax as I do.I started with a pickup ,commercial mower and trimmer but I paid tax from day one . Half of these characters or more don'y pay I am sure . At least in my redneck of the woods .

Scag48
09-27-2000, 10:40 PM
I've got me one of those trailers. Mine isn't a garden cart though. It's made of angle iron and is big enough to haul my mower,trimmer and maybe my blower. Mine actually has sides. I'm going to make a trimmer rack for it and I might make it bigger to fit my blower. The thing works great. I've got an oscillating hitch on it that hooks up to my seat pole. Real handy and is good exercise. I'd be screwed if I got a ZTR though. Don't know if it would fit quite right.:)

Stone-I saw a guy once that when he went up the street to mow another lawn on the block took his trimmer and set it crossways on the control panel of his Exmark WB. I also saw him light up a cigarette on his muffler. Took him about 5 minutes.

Kirby-I am currently mowing with a 21" and I can't afford a bigger mower! If you think everybody like me can afford a bigger mower, THINK AGAIN! The Toro I run has been the most reliable thing I've run until, for once, it actually had to be taken to the shop. It's 8 years old and still going. I'm trying not to bash but I think that everyone here thinks I'm a scrub just because of my equipment. I just don't like to be considered a scrub. I'm sorry if I ticked you off but I like to get my point across.

KirbysLawn
09-28-2000, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Scag48
Kirby-I am currently mowing with a 21" and I can't afford a bigger mower! If you think everybody like me can afford a bigger mower, THINK AGAIN! The Toro I run has been the most reliable thing I've run until, for once, it actually had to be taken to the shop. It's 8 years old and still going. I'm trying not to bash but I think that everyone here thinks I'm a scrub just because of my equipment. I just don't like to be considered a scrub. I'm sorry if I ticked you off but I like to get my point across.

First, if I'm not mistaken you are 14 years old, so my comments were not directed towards children (no offence), I more than understand that you cannot afford a large mower, neither can my son. I also did not make any comment about anyone being a scrub, I on no way think a child is a "scrub". Read above for the purpose of this post. I really do not want to get in a scrub debate, my opinion is if you have no license but still apply pesticides, are of age to pay taxes & pay no taxes, and operate as a business and take business from professionals you may be considered as one. Hope that's clear.

Ray

jaclawn
09-28-2000, 07:24 AM
Perhaps it was the fellows mothers house. MAybe he owned it and it was a rental unit? MAybe he was just helping someone else in need.

If he was a competitor, his extremely low overhead means that after gas/ins/taxes, he has nearly all the money he made in his pocket. He does not have $xx,xxx.xx worth of equipment to pay for, and does not have to cut 15 lawns per day.

KirbysLawn
09-28-2000, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by jaclawn
Perhaps it was the fellows mothers house. MAybe he owned it and it was a rental unit? MAybe he was just helping someone else in need.

Yea, I'm sure that was the case. I'll say this again, I was not criticizing him for mowing, my comment was about productivity, please read above.

[Edited by KirbysLawn on 09-29-2000 at 12:36 AM]

Barkleymut
09-28-2000, 08:38 PM
Yeah, I can possibly understand helping someone out but applying pesticides/herbicides as a favor is doubtful. Kirby was just trying to have a little fun with this thread, unfortunately ya'll don't know how to have fun.

Scag48
09-28-2000, 09:35 PM
Kirby-In Washington I beleive I don't have pay income tax until I make over 4,000. I do not apply pesticides, and so far haven't stolen any jobs that I know of. I guess I'm not a scrub. What do you mean "operate as a business"? Don't really understand what you were gettin' at.

KirbysLawn
09-28-2000, 09:52 PM
I've already said I do not and have not considered you or any other children "scrubs". As for "operate as a business", read: http://dictionary.msn.com/find/entry.asp?search=business, gives the definition of a business. If you are a kid mowing in the neighborhood you are not a business are you? Yea, you may have a name, may make flyers, but are you really a business?

Sorry, not trying to be a smart *** but seems every post always goes way off the subject.

bondlawn
09-29-2000, 08:21 PM
Kirby, I think I can go you one better than your initial post about the Pontiac Bonneville. Today I saw a push mower (size unknown) and a weed eater sticking out of the back of a - no lie - A 6 DOOR STRETCH LIMO! As soon as I saw it I thought of your post and had to let you know about it when I got in.

KirbysLawn
09-29-2000, 08:46 PM
Cool...Super-Stretch scrub. :D

MJB
09-29-2000, 09:38 PM
Scag 48,
I live in Wa too. In order to run it as a business you would need to have a business license which is required when you make over $1500.. at least that what the city told me 10 yrs ago when I started. Also in Wa we have to collect and pay sales tax for our services, mowing included.

powerreel
09-29-2000, 09:57 PM
In the last couple months with market correction and all,I wouldn't worry about someone trying to belittle you scag48, I live in Wa too and most people who post here don't have a clue as to our lack of snow cover on the west side or the snow mold on the east side! Most are flatlanders and have seasons and never mow on new years eve or things like that. Some of the cali posts know how it is to manage turf YEAR ROUND with not too much of a dormant period or multiple dormant cycles in the growing season. Just keep your chin up and realize that all these lawn services pass just as the seasons do! Friday night has brought our "winter" rains remember soils in Wa. need lots of K, and marine clay is widespread. You might be a scrub if you live in a state that doesn't have an ocean is what i say! WILD SALMON FOREVER!!! OLD GROWTH FOREST SAVES THE PLANETS AIR!!!

Chuck Sinclair
09-29-2000, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by powerreel
Some of the cali posts know how it is to manage turf YEAR ROUND with not too much of a dormant period or multiple dormant cycles in the growing season

Powerreel

Amen brother! Here in sacramento we do it YEAR Round No snow here.

Scag48
09-30-2000, 02:17 AM
MJB-I'm 14. I was told I didn't have to pay income tax until I made over $4,000. Why do you need a license? I don't apply chemicals, just mowing here. I haven't seen anything that said you had to have a business license to mow, especially at my age.

BUSHMASTER
09-30-2000, 11:46 PM
scag just wait till you get out of high school, buy a truck and trailer and you'll see the light... the real world, it happens directly after high school...you ready man...was a fun ride.....

MJB
10-01-2000, 08:56 AM
Scag48,
You won't need a city business license until your older, when you have a truck and they notice you are getting serious about this business. Enjoy the money for now, learn all you can, and have fun.

BigEd
01-21-2001, 03:27 AM
I see there are alot of "young" people on here that mow.What would you do if you broke a window or something.If you cant afford a new mower you cant afford a 1800 dollar picture window.Just curious,no bashing intended.

Craig Turf Management
01-21-2001, 04:48 AM
Ray, just wondering what kind of seed you're sowing this time of year. Is it tall fescue? Do you get good results?
Thanks,
Bill Craig

lakegastonla
01-21-2001, 09:14 AM
He's not aerating any now, this is an old thread someone brought up because they thought it was funny.(I guess) Look at the dates on the posts.

KirbysLawn
01-21-2001, 06:29 PM
Where did this come from?? Yea, this is a post from September 2000. Then I was seeding with tall fescue, results have been ok, first snow was very early and the ground temps were cold when winterizer was applied, that combinded with the coldest December since 1918 and I would say the fescue looks ok, but yellowed.

Craig Turf Management
01-22-2001, 12:25 AM
Forgive me, I'm new. Won't happen again. I thought it was awfully strange to be aerating this early/late. Thought Ray was going to teach me a new trick.
Bill.

Runner
01-22-2001, 01:12 AM
Yeah, Ray! And stop giving all us beginners a hard time!!!

bucktail
01-22-2001, 02:19 PM
forget about breaking a window! what if a rock flies out of your mower and seriously hurts someone. Why everybody needs insurance even kids