PDA

View Full Version : seedhead development

bluesman
06-22-2003, 01:03 PM
I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and have a newly developed yard. We landscaped and put down sod 1 year ago, and for the most part, we have established a beautiful, healthy lawn, however areas of the lawn have recently "headed out", displaying the seeds of the grass plants, giving the lawn a lighter appearance in these areas. The following are some pertinent details that may help you assess our problem:

1. Ground was fertilized prior to laying the sod 1 year ago. Good watering ensured that the lawn established well last summer and appeared very healthy at seasons end.
2. A fall application of fertilizer was applied (lower nitrogen - higher phosphorus formula as recommended).
3. Lawn looked extremely good this spring after snow melt - rich green colour and vigorous growth.
4. Good moisture conditions have prevailed this year, requiring little to no supplemental watering.
4. Lawn has always been mowed "high" (approximately 3") - never mowed "low", especially this spring when good moisture and vigorous growth made keeping up with mowing challenging at times.
5. Clippings have not been removed from lawn - mowed with a gas powered mulching mower, leaving a fine mulch that does not seem to have built up in the lawn.

When the lawn first changed appearance approximately 2 weeks ago, it developed a "ragged" and "frayed" look after mowing, giving me the impression that the lawn mower blade might have become dull and was not cutting the grass off cleanly. After examining the blade I discovered this was not the case and began to look more carefully at the grass itself, and then discovered that the "frayed" look to the surface of the lawn was the result of the grass "heading out" and the visible seed showing on the plants. I have never experienced this condition in a lawn before, and I am not sure if this is the result of mowing practices, fertilizing practices, watering practices or just what. Hoping you might have some answers and advise on what to do from here.

BRL
06-22-2003, 08:00 PM
"and I am not sure if this is the result of mowing practices, fertilizing practices, watering practices or just what."

Don't worry, you're not doing anything wrong. Plants seed at various times of year. Some grasses get real tall to seed & others can seed at lower heights. So this is the time of year for that grass type to produce seeds, and it is a type that doesn't need to grow real tall to seed. So what you do is have a little patience & things will soon be back to normal. They don't seed for long periods of time & it will be over shortly.

BRL
06-22-2003, 08:15 PM
Or it could be this problem mentioned in another thread in this forum? I know we've had other threads here at LS about this & I thought others posted that one of the cool season grasses seeds in the late spring. So I never really checked to see if it was actually a weed seeding in my lawns.

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=48153

Either way, it will be over shortly, and those seeds won't germinate if you keep mowing them before they mature.

bluesman
06-23-2003, 10:43 AM
Thanks so much for your reply. It is reassuring to know that despite the fact that I have not seen this before, it is a natural condition occuring. Next time, I won't panic! Thanks again for your advice. :blush: