PDA

View Full Version : Sten's filter question.

Nozzleman
06-22-2003, 08:12 PM
I did a search regarding the use of synthetic oils in the hydro system on Scag mowers. Anyway, I came across one fellow who had e-mailed Scag on this very subject and Scag replied that synthetic oil was o.k. to use in the hydro system BUT be sure to use Scag hydro filters. However, when I serviced my mower last fall my dealer did not have genuine Scag filters available so I ended up with a Sten's filter.

My question is, are Sten's filters a good quality filter or should I try and find a Scag filter?

Also, should I decide to switch over to syn' oil would it be best to stick with the same viscosity (30w in engine and 20w50 in hydro) or do you guys change to different weight's when using syn's.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-23-2003, 12:18 AM
The Sten's might be better than who made the filter for Scag or they could of made it for Scag.

15w-50 or 20w-50 in the Hydros is ok, but check the manual to be sure, some have a synthetic one and a different one for oil.

fatboy5803
06-23-2003, 03:55 AM
I don't know if I'm the one that you read about e-mailed Scag, but I asked the same question to them and if you were to go to Synthetic use the same weight and would Not hurt Warranty...

Lou :cool:

Nozzleman
06-23-2003, 12:31 PM
LGF, I figured it was a crapshoot on the filter. I was just wondering if anyone heard any good or bad news regarding Sten's filters. I bought two so I still have one in the garage and unless someone says their junk I will use it.

fatboy5803, I do belive you were the reference I used. I'm thinking of switching to Mobil 1 so I will use the same viscosity as the dino oil.