PDA

View Full Version : How do you treat your employees

ChadsLawn
06-22-2003, 11:48 PM
Alot of you know who I am and know my situation..Im still working for a auto parts store, but have recently started my lawn business back up..
My question Im going to ask is a comparasion(sp), through examples..
This is for the owners,bosses,formen
here goes:
1 If your employee makes a mistake..
a) Do you blow up in his face, and make him feel stupid..Then for the rest of the day make remarks of that mistake..
b) Explain to he\she what he\she did wrong and show them the proper way, so they may not make that mistake the next time..
c) If maybe the workload is too much(but hes good at what he does) slow him down one way or another till he can take on more..

2. Send a trusty employee to the bank to collect on a bounced check..
a) make this remark " if you dont come back with a check Ill kill ya"
b) "Call me from the bank if they wont issue a check"

3. You get a new customer and he only call once in awhile for service(in my case parts) and says he will call more if he gets prompt service..He calls a month later for parts but doesnt get them right away cause you forgot to get them right out..
a) you and the salesman reams out the person who made the mistake.
b) Maybe remind him and put a stickynote on his wheel to remind him for promt service..

would any of you bosses say this to your employee..
" ever call in sick, Ill fire ya" ??

anything I can do leagelly about this??

this is some of the garbage I have gone through the past 6 months since I got transfered to this new store.. I want to quit soo bad and go full speed on my lawn business..The only thing stopping me is my mother in law..She wants me to keep this job cause of benefits(eventhough I havent signed up for insurance at all)..I know I can get more lawn accounts, but I have no time to do them with this job..

Should I quit or stay??

Chad

ffemt1271
06-23-2003, 12:07 AM
1. verbal warning

2. written reprimand in personnel file

3. termination

thats what we doo at the F.D. and it seems to work well

ffemt1271
06-23-2003, 12:12 AM
i mis-read your question. if you are not happy then you need to move on. by waiting you are lettingit gt late in the year to start picking up accounts. i left a job that i was dis-satisfied with and went to another dept. you will be surprised about how much better you feel about yourself and you will actually enjoy getting up and going to work--take you a portable radio to work and blast "take this job and shove it" lol

LAWNGODFATHER
06-23-2003, 01:41 AM
Adios.

ADLAWNCUTTERS
06-23-2003, 02:11 AM
Don't be a jerk treat him like you would want to be treated.

Gravely_Man
06-23-2003, 11:54 AM
That is awful to be treated like that. I would try and talk with the manager to see if they could be a little more understanding and kind in the way they deal with you. The sure thing "the auto parts job" is always a hard thing to leave and move on to something of the unknown (restarting your lawn business).

Gravely_Man

Remsen1
06-23-2003, 12:21 PM
connect a battery charger to his man area and plug it in :D

then go do lawn business fulltime. don't waste your time there. i'm stuck with my fulltime job for now because
a.) i make more at it than I can right now doing LC
b.) my company treats me good

if i didn't have a AND b above, i would be gone in a second.

HarryD
06-23-2003, 01:07 PM
sounds like your Boss is a real A**hole I would move on and not look back there are plenty of other auto parts places you could work part time till you get your LCO going full time

leadarrows
06-23-2003, 01:51 PM
Give his e-mail address to Lawrence Stone that ought to fix him.:D

lugnut#6
06-23-2003, 05:51 PM
contact your local office of the dept of labor.its very hard to do anything about a bad employer.unless you live in a "right to work" state,its concidered a privalidge to have a job,not your right,hence the term "right to work".most states are "employ at will"states.witch means you can be terminated for any reason other than articale 7;race ,color,religion,sex,etc. an employer can not legaly threatin you with termination.termination is a "do or dont" propositon.but,there isnt a whole lot you can do.its all about the wording an employer uses.you can be warned that your current action"could"lead to possable termination. but for an employer to say u "will" be terminated is harrasment under some states guidlines.odds are in any state you would have a hard time getting an attorney to take a case regarding such things. generally the damages are small and we all know attornies want large settlement cases. hope this helps some

honestly:get another job

brucec32
06-23-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by ChadsLawn
Alot of you know who I am and know my situation..Im still working for a auto parts store, but have recently started my lawn business back up..
My question Im going to ask is a comparasion(sp), through examples..
This is for the owners,bosses,formen
here goes:
1 If your employee makes a mistake..
a) Do you blow up in his face, and make him feel stupid..Then for the rest of the day make remarks of that mistake..
b) Explain to he\she what he\she did wrong and show them the proper way, so they may not make that mistake the next time..
c) If maybe the workload is too much(but hes good at what he does) slow him down one way or another till he can take on more..

2. Send a trusty employee to the bank to collect on a bounced check..
a) make this remark " if you dont come back with a check Ill kill ya"
b) "Call me from the bank if they wont issue a check"

3. You get a new customer and he only call once in awhile for service(in my case parts) and says he will call more if he gets prompt service..He calls a month later for parts but doesnt get them right away cause you forgot to get them right out..
a) you and the salesman reams out the person who made the mistake.
b) Maybe remind him and put a stickynote on his wheel to remind him for promt service..

would any of you bosses say this to your employee..
" ever call in sick, Ill fire ya" ??

anything I can do leagelly about this??

this is some of the garbage I have gone through the past 6 months since I got transfered to this new store.. I want to quit soo bad and go full speed on my lawn business..The only thing stopping me is my mother in law..She wants me to keep this job cause of benefits(eventhough I havent signed up for insurance at all)..I know I can get more lawn accounts, but I have no time to do them with this job..

Should I quit or stay??

Chad

I have a friend whose mother in law and wife tell him what to do. He works 6-7 days a week, and its never enough for them. She drives the new car, he drives a beat up old van. She's home half the time, he's never home. Hard to respect a guy like that. There's a fine line between being a good husband and being henpecked.

To quote Don Corleone: "YOU CAN ACT LIKE A MANNNNNN!" <slap>

Seriously, it's not an either or "or" situation. Go find another job, deliver pizzas part time while you build up clients, or just grin and bear it where you are. But I wouldn't let someone else's opinions guide my life. Your mother in law doesnt' have to go get berated by this guy, does she? You do. So you do what you need to do. Women value security above all else. Some, not all, would gladly have a man work in the salt mines forever so they don't have to worry about money. As long as you're responsible about it, do what you want and tell the old bag to pay for your health insurance if she doesn't like it.

btw, I am 40 and pay $150/month with Kaiser Permanente for basic coverage, so it's hardly impossible to find it outside of a steady gig.