PDA

View Full Version : Marketing flops

LAWNGODFATHER
06-23-2003, 02:38 AM
What are some of your not so successful marketing trials and tribulations?

What didn't work?

ElephantNest
06-23-2003, 07:38 AM
Free kittens with each cut.:rolleyes:

drobson
06-23-2003, 11:33 AM
I tried advertising with Dominos Pizza. They had coupon books that went out with every pizza and I had a color add in the book. It looked nice, very professional and it was going out to the areas that I wanted. But not a single call, out of 30K ads.

Oh well, won't do that one again...

Let it Grow
06-23-2003, 05:24 PM
I've been thinking of placing an ad on the back of movie ticket stubs, but I'm afraid that it will have the same success as the Dominos pizza thing. What do you guys think?

ElephantNest
06-23-2003, 05:32 PM
I don't think I've ever looked at the back of a movie ticket stub.

BSDeality
06-23-2003, 05:34 PM
if you're going to advertise in movie theater (i think) you'll be driving all over the county and probably 2 or 3 surrounding ones for work. Unless you've got the crews to support that i think you'll be spreading your work out too much to turn a profit. I'm working on picking up work within 2 miles of each of my accounts to try to get it a little tighter.

walker-talker
06-23-2003, 06:55 PM
Local radio station passed out 1600 door hangers placed in a "goody bag" at a cooking seminar for women aged between 35-65. Only charged $100, so I thought, "what the hell?"

0 calls

MATT

goodbeus
06-23-2003, 06:58 PM
Local am Gospel radio sation... 0 calls, when I signed up didn't know it was Gospel:eek:

John Gamba
06-23-2003, 07:00 PM
Grocery Cart Handle's And Receipts.
John

greenman
06-23-2003, 08:02 PM
$1200 sign at a huge local supermarket (Kroger). Full color banner, 1' x 2'. Its been up since Dec. 02, will be up until Nov 03 (year). Over 10,000 people walk in that store everyday, so the same people see it every time they go in. So far, Ive had.....................1 CALL!!, and it was only for a leaf/property cleanup (last Jan). Maybe it will pay off but so far.....Ive lost.

CMerLand
06-23-2003, 08:18 PM
Cable TV Commercial,

We were servicing the local cable news station owners properties and let myself be talked into a 30 second spot commercial. The commercial itself was excellent and well produced, and had it running something like 30 times a weekend for 8 or 10 weekends. Cant remember the exact details or cost but yielded zero calls for new work.

Still got a lot of pride seeing my name and face and tv while the ad was running.

michigangrass
06-23-2003, 10:28 PM
$2200 for ADVO/Shopwise direct mail piece.

62,000 homes and only 21 calls, you do the math...oh baby...we're a landscapin' now!

I think I understand the meaning of prison love now. I was reachin' for the soap when they came knockin'.

Unless you have a HUGE budget which would allow you to run monthly...this is a complete waste of resources.

Lanelle
06-23-2003, 10:29 PM
Hey LGF,
How did the billboards turn out? Get any calls from them?

Green in Idaho
06-24-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by michigangrass
$2200 for ADVO/Shopwise direct mail piece.

62,000 homes and only 21 calls, you do the math...oh baby...we're a landscapin' now!.

While that can be a waste it can also be good results. That's $100 per customer. Percentage wise it SUCKS but net return it could be good.

IF they were just calls and no business out of it, oops something is missing...
IF those customers turned into $2,000 - $5,000 landscape job, that's good.
IF those customers turn into 21 maintenance accounts for the repeat customers year after year, that's good.

Of 21 interested calls how many did you close on? If the answer is low, then maybe the closing is lacking or the audience persued was wrong. IF they were 62K people in low $ home and you provide high $ services of course it was ZERO. But the audience was right for your price, services, and mix, and you still got no business, something is missing.

If mow jobs of $30, would you pay three weeks service to get a loyal customer for the next 5 years. So it depends on the type of customer one gets for the advertising dollar.

What is the lifetime value of one customer? How much can you spend to get that value?

As for grocery or other boards, it's hard to measure the return of those. No one is going to call you and say I saw your ad at Piggly Wiggly's and want a bid. BUT they will remember your ad when they see your truck in their neighborhood, and then when you drop a flyer off on their door this fall they will be more LIKELY to call you than if they had not seen the ad or your logo on your truck etc. Marketing is tough to measure.

When you see DuPont on a NASCAR does it make you want to rush out and buy DuPont paint? Next year when you get autobody work and the guy asks you if you want DuPont or Duddly paint applied which one are you going to choose?

There is a difference between marketing, advertising, and promoting.

Marketing- participating in chamber of commerce, doing surveys, branding, public relations, etc.
Advertising- sending out a specific message in a media format
Promotion- utilizing a specific event, time, or service to make a sale

If the only thing on the board is your logo & ABC Lawns XXX-XXXX. What results do you expect? That is branding and seldom gets sales. BUT "Mention this ad for 10% of aeration" is promoting and is more likely to make a sale.

UGA
06-24-2003, 04:57 PM
I like the way you think Idaho, I recently used some of your logic on my most recent flyer. It will be getting passed out this week. I'm only placing it along the roads from my farthest stop to my house and on the adjoining side roads in hopes of helping out the route.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-24-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Lanelle
Hey LGF,
How did the billboards turn out? Get any calls from them? That was another member here, not me.

Green in Idaho
06-24-2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by UGA
, I recently used some of your logic on my most recent flyer. It will be getting passed out this week. I'm only placing it along the roads from my farthest stop to my house and on the adjoining side roads in hopes of helping out the route.

Logic??? Who said I had any of that? What did you do differently with the flyer?

See my post on this thread about taking notes while goin door-to-door. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47935

Good luck selling.

michigangrass
06-24-2003, 09:24 PM
Green in Idaho

I guess I was being a little greedy, thinking that we'd have a flood of calls and the opportunity to cherry pick.

We did pick up 6 new seasonal customers and they've actually turned out to all be pretty good customers so far. We also picked up a couple of nice little landscape jobs of $1200 and another of $6300.

The mailer did go out in a region that reached a little farther than we service. A lot of the calls came from people too far out that have been turned down by a number of other lcos as well. The hot areas around here are locked in by the big boys 6 months before the season starts. ADVO give special treatment to those sending out over a million mailers per year. Smaller companies don't have the option to lock in those hot regions.

SUGAR_CUT_MARK
06-24-2003, 09:38 PM
michigangrass where abouts in michigan are u in?

michigangrass
06-25-2003, 11:13 PM
Ann Arbor

We were only able to get the southwest region which included homeowners out in Chelsea, etc. We are trying to trim back drive time as much as possible.

mtdman
06-26-2003, 12:46 AM
Hey! I cut in Ann Arbor too. TJ's Lawn Care. Small world, eh?

Direct mailers really didn't work for you? Were they the ones in the envelope or the 'missing child' card? I don't know about anyone else, but I personally throw that **** away without even looking at it. I am thinking about mailers, too, for the fall.

:D

Let it Grow
06-26-2003, 10:42 AM
I'll be doing a direct mailing here in about a week. The nice think about direct mail is that you can really target the people you want to sell to. I'm fairly new so I'm just sending out a postcard to inform people that I'm here. In the fall I'll do another to let them know that I do fall cleanups, that way by then they should know who I am.

tiedeman
06-26-2003, 11:58 PM
biggest marketing flop was sending out over 2,500 postcards to potential customers in the area, espeically those that have cottages. Never received a single customer!!!!:mad:

LAWNGODFATHER
06-27-2003, 09:00 PM
Some of yall havd some that sounded promising, wow they didn't work...

I wonder if timing had anything to do with it?

Keep em coming.

greenman
06-27-2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
Some of yall havd some that sounded promising, wow they didn't work...

I wonder if timing had anything to do with it?

Keep em coming.

I thought I had mine timed just right. It was put up during the winter (Dec.), in plenty of time before spring. Who know? It might turn out.....

David Haggerty
07-01-2003, 06:20 AM
One year and not one call!

Well, not one legitimate call. One lady wanted to see if her fert guy was cheating her. Two calls from kids wanting jobs.

Two months after the new directory came out without my add in it, I get a call. And landed the account!
I figured I'd at least break even. But he lost his job and dropped me.

Are the Yellow Pages dead? Has all the cell phone and internet overlaping technology just passed them by?

I'm going to build a web page or burn CD's and pass them out.

And I used to work for GTE. But they've already cashed out my retirement so screw 'em.

Of course I do target a narrow market. Lawns over 2 acres.

Dave

walker-talker
07-01-2003, 09:13 AM
I get a fair amount of calls from the yellow pages, but mostly just "tire kickers". I received 3 mowing accounts from yellow pages and one was enough to pay for the ad.

MATT

Gr grass n Hi tides
07-09-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by David Haggerty
One year and not one call!

Well, not one legitimate call. One lady wanted to see if her fert guy was cheating her. Two calls from kids wanting jobs.

Two months after the new directory came out without my add in it, I get a call. And landed the account!
I figured I'd at least break even. But he lost his job and dropped me.

Are the Yellow Pages dead? Has all the cell phone and internet overlaping technology just passed them by?

I'm going to build a web page or burn CD's and pass them out.

And I used to work for GTE. But they've already cashed out my retirement so screw 'em.

Of course I do target a narrow market. Lawns over 2 acres.

Dave

I've been fortunate enough to get about a dozen calls this week off my yellow page ad resulting in 3 new accounts. I've turned down a couple of clean up type jobs, a couple didn't return my return call, and one or two didn't like my bid. All in all, very worth while.

This thread is about bombs though. I havn't done a lot of them, but direct mailings have yielded a goose egg for me.

A1 Lawn@Landscapes
07-10-2003, 09:44 PM
A local advertiser paper sent out to every household, renter, business in a 4 town area. All I got was a bunch of tire kickers, mow my lawn every 2 to 3 weeks extra short, bag it, and take it away type of customer. It was a who's who of what to avoid. It taught me almost as much as I have learned from here.

CCLAWN
07-11-2003, 01:41 AM
Well, $4,200 for 3 month stint on a billboard and a free month since they did not take it down was the final price.

Total sales.....3

However, I know itattribuited to more than that. I talked to alot of people that said they saw it, saw ad in newspaper, got the market place magazine, and the direct mail piece. The key is saturation. The more you get your name in front of someone, the more likely they will respond.

Take a look at the marketing guru's (Scotts and Trugreen). DM, TM, TV. We know trugreen is not because of the quality and the word has not spread enough aboutScotts. I feel my return was better than actually tracked due to multiple sources. We are going to advertise next year with a local minor league team in the area. We may tiptoe around the TM world to. And we may drop the big bomb on the yellow pages. But the best advertisement was local mow guys and word of mouth.

Again, not alot of great success with the billboard, but I feel the return was better than what was trackable.

In Stl everyone knows american equity morgages phone number because it it put in front of you or said on the radio 10 times per day.

going from 0 to 2k would mean dropping over $100k in advertising. I think we are going to take the easy route and minimize the expense next year....

DOnt wast the effort of walking...door hanging does'nt work either in todays world...1 sale per 800 pieces is not woth it.:D

LAWNGODFATHER
07-11-2003, 04:07 AM
I agree for name recognition, it would have aided in sales.

Sorry it didn't account more more biz directly. Glad you replied to the thread.

Find the other one where you went into detail about it, I am sure some others want to hear this.

CCLAWN
07-11-2003, 05:14 PM
Which post are you talking about....refresh me

LAWNGODFATHER
07-11-2003, 05:22 PM
Found it

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38818

Team Gopher
04-16-2004, 10:38 AM
This was such a great post, I just wanted to bring it back for others to review and potentially add to it.

charlies
04-16-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER

What didn't work?

yellow pages

ThreeWide
04-17-2004, 08:07 AM
I toured specific neighborhoods fitting my demographic and voice recorded addresses while on the move. Sent out about 500 postcards to those addresses. It is still early on, but thus far I've gotten 3 calls that wanted estimates. One of the estimates became a new account, and another is still in price negotiation stages.

I think targeted marketing is the way to go.

MrBarefoot
04-18-2004, 04:18 PM
I have had success with my yellow page ad. My first ad went in last winter, and I had to pay for a few months before the spring, but as of right now the ad has paid for itself this year and I am expanding the ad into other books.

As far as marketing failures go, I have a few of those...

My first flier campaign over 10,000 and not a single call. It was a poorly designed ad with a weak incentive.

3 line newspaper ad, ran for a month in the spring of 2002, no calls.

specialtylc
04-18-2004, 06:02 PM
I believe the best return on your advertizing dollar is the yellow pages. I dont have an ad., just my name and phone listing and I get 3 or 4 calls a month. The reason I dont advertize is I dont want the residetial customers.

fastlane
04-18-2004, 07:21 PM
3''x5'' coupon on 50,000 place mats at local resteraunt. About 5 responses. This was the same resteraunt that returned 10-20 coupon's a week for 5 years (5 years of ads)for a auto and truck accessory store that I owned. Same people -different results!

Cleatus
04-18-2004, 08:37 PM
yellow pages was a gigantic waste of money for us. major flop.

mowingismylife
04-18-2004, 10:45 PM
newspaper ads have been a waste for ushat is for sure because we haven't got anything out of them and the other day we were going to go and run a $21 a month ad and our truck broke down on the side of the road on the way there but funny thing is that when we turned to go back home it ran fine ain't that something.
but i'm giving up on newspaper ads i'm sticking with Flyers at stores,Free internet ads and my website and trying Yard signs this time around i think it doesn't make sense to Spend tons of money on advertising when you don't got a whole lot to work with and your cheap low cost advertising gets more calls anyway. I have found some great local sites that list my whole business info on their businesses listings page for free. This is a great POST for the Pro's and us guys just starting out.

Trevors Lawn Care
07-10-2004, 07:17 PM
So far we havnt had any major flops. We just continue to flier neighborhoods every month for the saturation aspect of the biz. Reading some of these is making me second guess whether or not to post on a billboard travelled by thousands daily.

Trevor

walker-talker
07-10-2004, 08:08 PM
I have heard that you might not get a lot of business from them, but they do get your name recognized. Next time they need services, they might look in the YP's and see your name and call you. I am no marketing expert, but that is what I have heard.

HOOLIE
07-11-2004, 02:23 AM
I think most of us want to tighten up our routes, and you can't really do that by using billboard ads or even newspaper ads. Flyers seem to work best to target certain areas

rodbite
07-11-2004, 11:48 AM
after reading the replies i have to ask why some of you are in business!!!!!

PROPERTY Owners and managers....

Start a newsletter and direct mail them, or just mail a letter direct to Owners and Managers.

you can get a list of home owners in your area at www.infousa.com or for free at your local property appraiser.

Rod:blob2:

txlawnking
07-11-2004, 03:56 PM
My biggest ad flop was the local paper( $125 for a month of sat/ sun ads, 0 calls) followed close by the free local "Bargain paper" Got one PITB cust, that I dropped, and lots of potential PITB's that would call and say " please cut my 6 acres that currently has 18" of growth for $45 a week" I'm NOT joking!!

Avery
07-11-2004, 04:03 PM
Hurrican tracking charts. Seems that when people are tracking a hurricane landscaping is the furthest thing from their mind. Go figure! :)

fairwayCuts
01-13-2005, 02:05 AM
well it's getting to be time to start the marketing program again and I saw this thread from a ways back,thought I might post something to bring it back...again.

I've been thinking of sending out 5000 postcards for a mass marketing plan. Although from what I've read it sounds like alot of people here don't like the whole postcard idea. Kinda got me worried. If I were to do it, it would cost around 1500 bucks( 475 priting and mailing service, 970 postage). I'm figuring to get 1/4% return,actual accounts, or about 12-15 new customers. Do you think that reasonable? For that price I could get 20000 doorhangers. The only problem with doorhangers is getting them out. Last year I passed out maby 400 and if i remember it took me probobly an hour for every 100.

Back to the original thread topic-
As far as a marketing nightmare, trying to figure out how and what to market :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

walker-talker
01-13-2005, 10:02 AM
Sounds like you are getting a decent deal there for $1500. Last spring I did 5000 postcards and it cost me $1950...then another $160 for the design of my postcard. If you are wanting more mowing clients, make damn sure you use your postcard to target that. My postcard was very professional looking and listed all my services, but I didn't really target mowing...and that's what I really wanted. What I got was exactly what the postcard targeted....a wide variety of calls for services. I didn't have an overwhelming response rate either. I might and I mean might of got 25 calls....which comes out to only 1/2% response rate. I did land 4 mowing accounts...which I was able to up-service 3 of those accounts. Please....don't let this discourage you and your efforts. There are many factors that could have caused a low response rate....market and timing to name a couple.

Let us all know how it turns out!

Matt

out4now
01-13-2005, 10:06 AM
I don't think I've ever looked at the back of a movie ticket stub.
Don't even go to movies so wouldn't work on me. That's what DVD players are for, no screaming kids and you can pause it for a restroom break.

procut
01-13-2005, 01:49 PM
Cable TV Commercial,

Still got a lot of pride seeing my name and face and tv while the ad was running.

That makes it worth it! :waving:

mtdman
01-13-2005, 02:35 PM
Quite honestly, I've never had good results with door to door fliering, or door hangers. When I first started, we would post fliers on telephone poles in the neighborhoods we wanted, and that seemed to work more than anything. My phone book ad is the major source of advertising for me. I usually get quite a few calls off the ad, and this year I've enlarged it in hopes of bringing in more work. I'm also considering a targeted direct mail campaign. Although all the comments I've heard about direct mail don't get me real excited about it.

One of the other big ways I've gotten a lot of customers in is roadside signs. There's another thread about that right now. I put them out at intersections and highway ramps around the township here. They get yanked and thrown out usually, but they stay up for at least a week or so. Some places I know will only let them stay up for a weekend, and I'll put them out for the weekend. Two years ago I did a major aeration campaign with those and got all kinds of calls off them.

I've done a trade for services thing with a radio station I mow for, but last year I didn't get a whole lot of response from it, thinking about discontinuing that this year.

Ads in the newspapers around here just don't work. When I do get calls, they come from all over the county, not the places I want to work in.

Lux Lawn
01-13-2005, 02:51 PM
Spent $100 to advertise in one of my customers kids school newspapers didn't get one call from it but I could not tell her no.

Team Gopher
09-27-2005, 04:40 PM
<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=1&t=1296&st=&&#entry7582) </font></marquee>

Does anyone have any new marketing flops we can add to this post?

<table width=100%>
<tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>http://www.gophergraphics.com/images/gopher_palm_banner_2.gif (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=2&t=1478&st=&&#entry8241)</td></tr></table>
<center>Free Web Templates (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=15;t=898). Make your own logo Free (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=1453).</center>

walker-talker
09-27-2005, 06:20 PM
Ok....hate even thinking about this one. This past spring I had some fairly professional looking flyers made up and read "3 Free Mowings" across the top. Glossy and full color both sides. In short, $3K and 30,000 flyers later I picked up (and kept) two mowing accounts. Had them inserted into neighborhood assoociations newsletters, never again. Actually, one of those accounts was from the same flyer, but delivered. Next spring, it will either be postage paid postcards or hand delivered flyers/doorhangers. I might send out a small run of 5,000 postcards. I still have about 600 flyers, 1500 nice doorhangers and another 1000 one colored doorhangers, so I will try and get all those used up. I am planning of getting me an electric scooter to get all those delivered.

ArizPestWeed
09-28-2005, 01:07 AM
I did this years ago.
Offered free "grass" , one ounce .Not the real stuff

Also , "free pussy " , kitten ,with 12 month agreement

Lots of calls , no takers

DFW Area Landscaper
09-28-2005, 09:28 AM
Clippers Magazine. Total flop. Paid $400. Got two calls from it. A one time cut and a guy with a lawn way too big for us to mow.

This season, I have started getting about three cold-calls per week from people selling advertising. I always tell them this when they call:

I've already got proven methods of advertising that make money for me. I would love to have more advertising sources. But what I can't do is pay you to find out if your advertising method will work for my business. Its a gamble on my part and I don't gamble now that I have a proven method. Most advertisements, especially the ones that are represented by sales people, are too expensive to work. I mean, most of them will probably generate calls, but then when I look at what they are costing me, it isn't a money maker. So here's the deal that I offer everybody that calls me selling advertising. If you want to give me the ad for free, if it works, and if its a money maker, I will renew it over and over. But I'm not gonna pay you to find out if it works or not. I've just had too many bad gambles that didn't pay off to keep doing that.

So far, no one has taken me up on the offer.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

ArizPestWeed
09-28-2005, 10:41 AM
I've done the same thing.
If I get cals from your ad , I'll give you a %, they never take it

start2finish
09-28-2005, 08:06 PM
DFW that's a awesome approach. Like of like asking a telemarketer for their phone number and telling them you wanted to call them while the family is a their dinner table.

Team Gopher
10-11-2005, 05:48 PM
<Table width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><TR><TD><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=1&t=1296&st=&&#entry7582) </font></TD></TR></Table>

walker-talker that is very interesting! I know your flyers are always top notch too.

<table width=100%>
<tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>http://www.gophergraphics.com/images/gopher_palm_banner_2.gif (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=2&t=1478&st=&&#entry8241)</td></tr></table>
<center>Free Web Templates (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=15;t=898). Make your own logo Free (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=1453).</center>

Wayne's Lawn Service
10-20-2005, 08:40 PM
I believe my worst experience was with a program called the "welcome wagon." It was a mailing that went to new home owners with no competition in the packet. It was about 10 - 15 home type service flyer's that were included. I got nothing out of it to speak of and ran it for twelve months.

May work in your market, but did not work in mine. Hope all is well in St. Louis. Tell everyone at Scott's Equipment hello for me.

Brianslawn
10-20-2005, 09:11 PM
i tell them we'll take the advertising cost off their lawn or landscape bill. they hang up. had one of 3 local yellow pages agree to do 100% trade. got lots of calls over 2 year contract till guy sold out and moved. that one and bell book YP have been only good ways to advertise. third local YP was worthless and all home owners packs, etc are worthless, too. got few calls off flyers first couple years. truck decals have been good.

topsites
10-21-2005, 12:42 AM

What didn't work?

NEVER advertise that you DO leaves, LOL!

But seriously, I'd say some of the mistakes I made:
Listing too many things I do - Any more than 4 (5 is pushing it) and you start to look like a Jack-of-all-trades but not only that, people can 'smell' this as someone new in business and you can get prepared for a dime a dozen slew of customers intent on taking advantage of you.

Flyers and business cards. For me, flyers generated the lowest hourly rates while business cards resulted in lots of wild goose chases ... Glad I was smart enough not to letter the truck, doing this saves me a TON on insurance AND keeps smarty pants away somewhat.

Soliciting my own, regular customers. SOMETIMES when a customer has been getting me to do something for a few years, ASKING if they'd like me to do this again works but for anything else I've learned NEVER bother my regulars with this method. I did this a few times and always got a cool enough response from the bunch, it eventually chilled me out forever on this method.

Yellow book ad, 2k, 1 year. Thou it pulls, it's weak. It's no big deal, I got a FULL schedule so it's a blessing in disguise thou I'm still a bit disappointed...

topsites
10-21-2005, 12:58 AM
As for grocery or other boards, it's hard to measure the return of those. No one is going to call you and say I saw your ad at Piggly Wiggly's and want a bid. BUT they will remember your ad when they see your truck in their neighborhood, and then when you drop a flyer off on their door this fall they will be more LIKELY to call you than if they had not seen the ad or your logo on your truck etc. Marketing is tough to measure.

When you see DuPont on a NASCAR does it make you want to rush out and buy DuPont paint? Next year when you get autobody work and the guy asks you if you want DuPont or Duddly paint applied which one are you going to choose?

I agree... As a web site operator (do that for fun) I have a gaming section can churn out 300 to 400 thousand banner impressions per month to the same 40 or 50 players, cost is roughly 6 cents per thousand imps, the math:
350k imps, 6c/k = $21.00 to advertise
How many clicks?
One out of every 30 to 50 thousand impressions gains a click so you'll get 10 or 15 clicks for 21 dollars, that's over a dollar per click LOL it's cheaper to pay for clicks from GOOGLE! But...
It's about impressions... It's about multiple showings of the same ad OVER and OVER and OVER until it is firmly embedded in the back of someone's mind, and like you said, they LATER see the ad again someplace else and it creates a pattern of 'oh YEAH' type recognition which WILL ultimately result in a STRONG call.

Yeah, see... Leave an ad in the Yellow book / pages, THEN someone refers you, THEN they see your ad in the newspaper and it's like OMG this guy's all OVER the place guess I better call (maybe not quite, but that's the idea). At THIS point flyers *might* help but I'm off them, sorry to say.

A friend once told me you NEED to constantly splatter your NAME and PHONE NUMBER *ALL* over this TOWN until people can't hardly stand it no more (almost like Aol but not quite THAT bad lol, still, why IS aol number one? You got it.).

topsites
10-21-2005, 01:03 AM
One other thing I would consider a mistake in at LEAST some cases:

Either designing your own flyer when you have no experience in advertising OR having a new salesrep design it (who also dunno wtf they're doing), thou the last one can be tough to avoid. EITHER of these can result in an unprofessional design, another way to say it is your ad now screams "NOOB" (or - please come have your way with me).

I can LOOK at a flyer or a business card and by the mere looks of the design, I can TELL you the company behind it is either experienced or fairly new. Once I realized I could READ stuff into (or out of) flyers and business cards, that was another reason I stopped wanting them around, I can't stand the thought of someone 'reading' what was on my mind when I was designing, because people are NOT stupid and more than a few HUNT for new Lco's for the purpose of gaining a better (usually MUCH better) price than standard industry rate. Then you got the fools who are blind and assume anyone who distributes flyers is new, and the fools who like to collect business cards with no intent of ever calling (I like doing this myself ahahaha, I especially like the glossy color ones with background pictures)...

topsites
10-21-2005, 01:10 AM
DOnt wast the effort of walking...door hanging does'nt work either in todays world...1 sale per 800 pieces is not woth it.:D

We see eye to eye on flyers.

topsites
10-21-2005, 01:16 AM
I toured specific neighborhoods fitting my demographic and voice recorded addresses while on the move. Sent out about 500 postcards to those addresses. It is still early on, but thus far I've gotten 3 calls that wanted estimates. One of the estimates became a new account, and another is still in price negotiation stages.

I think targeted marketing is the way to go.

As for targeted marketing, here is my version:
Please distribute MY ad to EVERY single household in the entire County of Chesterfield, that would be 250 thousand households, don't be afraid of overlaps and thank you.
target deez nuts, lol