PDA

View Full Version : lets talk lime

lugnut#6
06-23-2003, 08:08 AM
ok i live down here on the ms. gulf coast.alot of the soil down here is acidic.how often should lime be applied?i dont use a PH kit,i just eyeball the lawn color and go from there.usually i like to lay down lime around the same time i lay down nitrogin rich fertalizer.do yall see any flaws on this?

thanx
pj jordan

Premo Services
06-23-2003, 08:17 AM
Seems to me you would want to have a soil test done.
How do you know from eyeballing the lawn, how much lime to put out per thousand/sf????:confused:

lugnut#6
06-23-2003, 08:33 AM
well since the chance of doing damage to my lawn from lime is less than that of nitrogen i get lazy and skip the soil test.
as far as eyeballing goes it doesnt help determining the amount of lime to put down but you can tell by color wether or not it could use some lime.and no i know its not an exact science but observation is a usefull tool that all in this bussiness use.

Gravely_Man
06-23-2003, 09:37 AM
Spend the time and go with the soil test. Much better for you and the soil.

Gravely_Man

lugnut#6
06-23-2003, 06:33 PM
ok...lets say i get the soil test and it needs lime.should go ahead and add lime before i fertalize or should i fertalize first then test soil again before adding the lime.dosnt fertalizer generally add to the acidity of the soil ?

tiedeman
06-23-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Gravely_Man
Spend the time and go with the soil test. Much better for you and the soil.

Gravely_Man

listen to Gravely..do a soil test first. Then you can adjust the type of fertilizer that you use as well depending on the nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium level.

You might actually find some interesting results from the test

lugnut#6
06-23-2003, 07:14 PM
are there soil kits that are ez to use or should i call the county agent?

tiedeman
06-23-2003, 09:16 PM
you should be able to find a soil test kit at a local nursery. I think that I paid about $60 for my kit, and I can do about 15 tests of PH, Nit, Phos, and Pot. I even double checked my kit with the county and the results were just about pin point accurate.

lugnut#6
06-23-2003, 10:41 PM
thank you...ill get one tomorrow